Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:53 PM

15 posts, read 57,354 times

Advertisements

We are going this weekend to look for an apartment to rent. Can anyone tell me if there are any MUST sees in the area??? We would be looking in the Salem/Roanoke area. Also we have a dog, 2 pounder and one stinking weekend to find something. Something nice and upscale

One more question.... Any nice places to stay for the weekend? The internet had so many mixed reviews.

Thank you so much, I am stumped right now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 09:54 PM

We are moving probably within the next 14 days. Lightening fast move!

Old 04-08-2009, 07:55 AM

219 posts, read 876,556 times
Things to do:

Walk and drive around the market area in downtown Roanoke on Saturday (its busiest day) lots of vendors and shops open. This will give the best taste of Roanoke.

Head over to Grandin Village, check out the area and get some pizza at Gracies.

You can bring your dog to Fishburn Park, if there's nice weather there will be plenty of other people and dogs out and about. Theres some nice trails and a stream you can walk around.

You can check out the star on Mill Mountain. Its a nice view, but also something you can wait to do until you move here.

I don't know too much about Salem, its pretty small. The downtown consists of 1 street. But it would be nice to raise a family at i'm sure.

Where to stay:

I've stayed at the Days Inn across from the Civic Center on 460 when we were looking to move here. It was fine, $65 a night, but Obama was in town that night. So I'm sure you can get it for even less. Or if you're feeling really classy and have a few hundred to blow, stay at the Hotel Roanoke. Other than that, some of the places look a little sketchy. Again, I don't know whats in Salem, so there may be a good hotel/inn there. Good luck and enjoy! The trees are starting to bloom and its beautiful.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:05 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,607,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristendrew View Post
We are going this weekend to look for an apartment to rent. Can anyone tell me if there are any MUST sees in the area??? We would be looking in the Salem/Roanoke area. Also we have a dog, 2 pounder and one stinking weekend to find something. Something nice and upscale

One more question.... Any nice places to stay for the weekend? The internet had so many mixed reviews.

Thank you so much, I am stumped right now

Hi and welcome to the Roanoke forum. I'm not sure why you chose Easter Weekend to come down but hotels may be a little fuller due to that. I would suggest staying somewhere in or around Southwest Roanoke. Because it is central to both Roanoke and Salem. My family came to visit me and stayed at the Quality Inn off of franklin Road and it was nice for the price. I wouldnt take the advice of the last post the civic center area is kind of gross and not very desirable especially for someone looking to move to the area. Lots of druggies and drunks hang out at that Days Inn. As for places to live personally I would cross out Salem. Just my opinion Roanoke is way better. Not sure if your looking for privately owned or complex but The South Roanoke side of Roanoke city has lots of places up for rent now and is a great place to start. Here is a link to our neighborhood newspaper to give you a feel for it. The South Roanoke Circle I have lived in this neighborhood since moving to Roanoke 2 years ago and have no regrets. Great family oriented neighborhood but also lots of young professionals a great mix of people. In fact my landlords have a nice 2 bedroom for rent right now up the street from me. If youd like the number Private Message me. If your more into the complex thing you can check out Suncape very nice upscale apartments located in Southwest County. Also a co worker of mine lives in Buckrun they are nice too. If you want something a little less fancy you can check out coppercroft very safe but a little less upscale. As far as places to see while here I agree with the last post of everything. You definatly have to hit up Downtown at night to get a good feel and vibe of Roanoke. I would also suggest going to Fork In The Alley located in South Roanoke for dinner. Have a safe trip and if you can think of any other questions let me know!

Old 04-08-2009, 11:18 AM

567 posts, read 2,137,303 times
For hotels, I'd recommend Holiday Inn Tanglewood.

For apartments, I'd recommend Sunscape: www.edwardrose.com and Honeywood: Honeywood Apartment Homes in Roanoke, Virginia

I know for sure Sunscape allows small pets, not sure about Honeywood.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:36 PM

2,278 posts, read 4,036,989 times
For a GREAT B&B near downtown - Rose Hill B&B - there is a web site with contact info!! Wendy is great!

The Summit apartments also impressed us when we were looking for a place for a short-term stay.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:20 PM

We didn't really have a choice on going this weekend. I would much rather have been at my family dinner. But we are moving SO fast that we have no choice.

TEEBYRD86.... I will be emailing you in a minute. Thank you and we are looking for upscale. Somebody told me to look at Sunscape and Pebble Creek?? We are getting in Friday evening and booked at the Hotel Roanoke. Thank you for all the help!!! It will be strange moving to a place that I know NO one.

1 more question.... Are there any good night clubs? I have been a bartender at a nightclub for many years and really don't want to stop. Any ideas??

Old 04-09-2009, 07:17 AM

219 posts, read 876,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristendrew View Post
We didn't really have a choice on going this weekend. I would much rather have been at my family dinner. But we are moving SO fast that we have no choice.

TEEBYRD86.... I will be emailing you in a minute. Thank you and we are looking for upscale. Somebody told me to look at Sunscape and Pebble Creek?? We are getting in Friday evening and booked at the Hotel Roanoke. Thank you for all the help!!! It will be strange moving to a place that I know NO one.

1 more question.... Are there any good night clubs? I have been a bartender at a nightclub for many years and really don't want to stop. Any ideas??
Nice pick on the Hotel Roanoke. My parents were in town a few weekends back and we strolled around the lobby. It's very nice. Let me know what the rooms look like.

As far as night clubs, downtown Roanoke seems like more of a bar scene. Theres 202 or 201? Market place, which is a club like scene. And I'm not sure what Corned Beef and Co is, haven't been there yet.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:44 AM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,650,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaFlorida View Post
As far as night clubs, downtown Roanoke seems like more of a bar scene. Theres 202 or 201? Market place
Exactly. And I'd say it's pretty limited on the bars even. 202 might be the best bet.
Oh, and on the apartment request...not sure what they are like, but I just got a mailer to my office this morning from the Villages at Garst Creek. 4365 Garst Mill Rd in SW. They sound pretty nice.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:00 PM

Thank you everyone! Roanoke is BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!!!!!! I was stunned at the the views, we don't have that here... FLAT! We are moving on the 27th of this month, the mover of course will be there a few days after that We ended up finding a lovely old farm home to rent, the apartments were just to small for us with a 5 year old. Boy was it a long drive!!

The hotel Roanoke was perfect!! Very pleased we stayed there, Rooms are kinda small but beautiful! We stayed from Friday to Tuesday and would for sure stay there again. I did find it odd that you are charged to park your car, $7 for self and $12 for Valet. Valet I understand. Oh and $14 for a drink :O Made hubby buy a GPS while there, thought I was gonna go nuts if we got lost again. Very excited about the move but freaked out a bit also, I am gonna miss my family a lot I am sure.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area