U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 10:39 PM

86 posts, read 119,096 times

Advertisements

Looking for a place to go to for Easter Dinner and also suggestions for a Catholic Church close to downtown. Not looking to spend a fortune on dinner but the place should be clean and good food/service. Trying to stay under $50.00 for a family of four.

Also ~ any suggestions on Apartment Homes to look at. Something a bit newer and a good place to start out in Roanoke. Want to rent before buying if we relocate.

And, any suggestions on something nice to do Friday and Saturday evening for a family visiting the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 08:14 AM

218 posts, read 556,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livetolive View Post
Looking for a place to go to for Easter Dinner and also suggestions for a Catholic Church close to downtown. Not looking to spend a fortune on dinner but the place should be clean and good food/service. Trying to stay under $50.00 for a family of four.

Also ~ any suggestions on Apartment Homes to look at. Something a bit newer and a good place to start out in Roanoke. Want to rent before buying if we relocate.

And, any suggestions on something nice to do Friday and Saturday evening for a family visiting the area?
Dinner: Fork in the Alley is a fun place and you could definately eat for under $50 for 4. They have hotdogs and pizza on the menu thats pretty cheap, but delicious. I believe there is only 1 Catholic Church in Roanoke, someone correct me if I'm wrong, so that limits your options.

Apartments: I live in Hickory Woods, you can get more for your money elsewhere in a better area. I've seen some nice playes in the Cave Springs area, not sure what they go for though.

Things to do: Saturday hit up the market place downtown. you can walk around to the shops. Go to Mill mountain star for the view if its nice out. Read some of the other recent posts, people have been asking about things to do. There's some good responses. Enjoy!

Old 04-09-2009, 08:16 AM

823 posts, read 1,203,320 times
St. Andrew's Church is just north of downtown. Spectacular building.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:20 AM

823 posts, read 1,203,320 times
If you are on a budget - good family friendly entertainment of bluegrass music on Friday evening at Floyd (about an hour drive)...

Floyd Country Store

Three bucks a person.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:27 AM

120 posts, read 199,823 times
I vote for St. Andrew's for Easter Services. Its' a gorgeous church close to downtown. (Can't miss it; big and yellow and sits on top of a hill.)

Easter Services at St. Andrew's will be held at the following times:

Saturday Vigil: 8 p.m.

Sunday morning: 7 a.m., 9 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. If the church is full, the social hall will be set up to handle the overflow. (My advice: Get there early-- at least 40 minutes before mass time. Seats fill quickly in the big church, and it's a beautiful Mass.)

Old 04-09-2009, 09:28 AM

Thanks everyone....good info, and I will search the Forum for what others have to say also. I already feel like we have friends in Roanoke!

Oh the weather, is it warm enough to wear sandals? Or will I look like a fish out of water if I wear sandals in April. I would imagine only a light jacket also?????

Awesome details on the services at St. Andrews, just what we were looking for. Thank you all!

Old 04-09-2009, 10:29 AM

192 posts, read 390,473 times
Don't know if my last post went through so forgive me if I repeat myself. The Roanoker restaurant near Towers Mall is a great place for Easter dinner (great home cooked food at VERY reasonable prices) be prepared to stand in line - but don't worry it moves quickly unless you go at a peak time. Even then it's worth the wait. this restaurant is a staple for most of us that have lived here since childhood. For Fri. or Sat. family you may think about Grandin village. We have The fabulous old Grandin Theatre for a movie, then you can walk around and grab pizza at Graces, then walk around to Pops ice cream for dessert. There are many other restaurants to choose from. This will give you an introduction to the very special Raleigh Court area -all about family! (of course you will find many great family neighborhoods in our fair city) Take care - have fun!

Old 04-09-2009, 12:00 PM

You can wear sandals. The weather this weekend will be perfect. Have a wonderful time and welcome to our city.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthews1965 View Post
Don't know if my last post went through so forgive me if I repeat myself. The Roanoker restaurant near Towers Mall is a great place for Easter dinner (great home cooked food at VERY reasonable prices) be prepared to stand in line - but don't worry it moves quickly unless you go at a peak time. Even then it's worth the wait. this restaurant is a staple for most of us that have lived here since childhood. For Fri. or Sat. family you may think about Grandin village. We have The fabulous old Grandin Theatre for a movie, then you can walk around and grab pizza at Graces, then walk around to Pops ice cream for dessert. There are many other restaurants to choose from. This will give you an introduction to the very special Raleigh Court area -all about family! (of course you will find many great family neighborhoods in our fair city) Take care - have fun!
Is Towers Mall near downtown and does the Roanoker take reservations? I know you said be prepared to stand in line, but I was not sure if that meant, they don't take reservations.

What is the usual dress for the Roanoker? I know it will be Easter Sunday, but we will be in the vehicle driving all over the place after Sunday`Mass, and I am not sure we will have time to go back to the Hotel to get really dressed up for dinner.

I know it's a Holiday weekend, it makes things a little more hectic, but it is the only time we have to visit before the house officially goes on the market.

Thank you so much!

Old 04-09-2009, 04:07 PM

The Roanoker is a "come as you are" kind of place. Same with Fork in the Alley. You'll be fine in whatever you're wearing. (You can also dress down for Easter Mass. No one will look at you sideways if you come to Mass in casual clothes. Sure, you may have to sit next to someone in their Easter Sunday best, but it's not like when you get up to go to Communion, people will be whispering "who's the slog in the jeans?" It's not that kind of place. I promise.

I've never been to the Roanoker on Easter Sunday, so I have no idea about the crowds. Your best bet is to ask at your hotel. They'll know--or they'll give you a phone number to call.

If you need anything, ask someone, anyone. People bend over backwards to help each other. It's a lovely place with lovely people. I hope you like it as much as we do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area