Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 07:07 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,890,319 times

Advertisements

I do agree young professionals are an important ingredient in a population. But realistically Roanoke City can't entice a major corporation to come here with its high paying jobs with no help from Roanoke County, Franklin, Botetourt, etc. We are being choked to death by the more affluent adjacent
jurisdictions. The people who live in those areas expect Roanoke City to do all of the work in economic development when the City is getting poorer. Of course, try to convince people in the County that this is "their" problem too!!
Its a nice dream but we've been down that road many many times!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 05:04 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,943 times
Roanoker, no lie! I think that's why so much effort is being dedicated to The Roanoke Region of Virginia although I think all cities/counties should invest even more in the partnership.

Sean

Old 05-31-2009, 08:51 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,618,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
Roanoker, no lie! I think that's why so much effort is being dedicated to The Roanoke Region of Virginia although I think all cities/counties should invest even more in the partnership.

Sean

Sean thanks for that link. I didnt even know that existed!

Old 05-31-2009, 02:05 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,785,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
I do agree young professionals are an important ingredient in a population. But realistically Roanoke City can't entice a major corporation to come here with its high paying jobs with no help from Roanoke County, Franklin, Botetourt, etc. We are being choked to death by the more affluent adjacent
jurisdictions. The people who live in those areas expect Roanoke City to do all of the work in economic development when the City is getting poorer. Of course, try to convince people in the County that this is "their" problem too!!
Its a nice dream but we've been down that road many many times!
Exactly....

It reminds me a lot of Richmond and Henrico, Hanover, Chesterfield, and other surrounding counties.....

Old 05-31-2009, 02:55 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,618,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
Exactly....

It reminds me a lot of Richmond and Henrico, Hanover, Chesterfield, and other surrounding counties.....
Unlike the counties around here I feel Henrico, Hanover, and Chesterfield contribute plenty to the city of Richmond in fact many major employers are in those three counties. Also they give millions to the city for several causes its the city that is corrupt and needs to do something meaningful with that money.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:42 AM

3 posts, read 5,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
I think a young entry-level professional would be inclined to get an apartment - and a huge # of the apt. units are located in Roanoke County rather than Roanoke City - but very very close to the city - like all the many apt. complexes near Tanglewood.

We are here for 2 months and needed a furnished apt. (corporate rental) and so we are in ROA county for those 2 months.

There are some awesome condos being done downtown - pretty nifty price per square foot also. Those are a great niche addition to the market - but are not so numerous as to affect the overall numbers.

IIRC there was also a caveat that the 2009 demographics were pretty well based on established trends and that the 2010 census would be the first opportunity to see if there were any new trends to add as corrective factors - if that is true, it is not surprising that there is no population upswing.

You nailed it. Also, most of the downtown living spaces are condos; but there are several neat buildings with cool apartments. They tend to be on the expensive side though. Outside of downtown, but in the city proper, a lot of the complexes are kind of hard to spot or don't look too lovely. The big apartment complexes are right outside the city; these places are nice, safe, attractive, and affordable. A lot of my friends live out there but work and hang out in the city.

I think with the new lofts at the Cotton Mill and a new bar next to the Jefferson Center, and also with the new medical school and research facilities in the area, you'll see some urban gentrification in Old Southwest in the coming years, being home to more and more young people.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:46 AM

3 posts, read 5,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
Sean thanks for that link. I didnt even know that existed!
If it makes you feel any better, it just launched in January...

Also, check out this cool spread that is now on U.S. airways throughout the country! US Airways Magazine / City Profiles / Roanoke, Virginia

The U.S. Air people spent a few weeks in the area doing some undercover work; it's a really cool illustration of ol' roanoke.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:08 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,785,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriceG View Post
If it makes you feel any better, it just launched in January...

Also, check out this cool spread that is now on U.S. airways throughout the country! US Airways Magazine / City Profiles / Roanoke, Virginia

The U.S. Air people spent a few weeks in the area doing some undercover work; it's a really cool illustration of ol' roanoke.

WOW, thats pretty cool...

A quote from the site:
Quote:
What many of us do on vacation,
the residents of the Roanoke area do
every day — camping in the Blue
Ridge Mountains, hiking on the
Appalachian Trail, perusing worldclass
art museums, dining in fine restaurants.
Toss out any preconceived
notions about Roanoke — what you
don’t know about this mountain town
may surprise you.

And this picture is amazing: http://usairwaysmag.com/profile_seri...focalpoint.pdf

Now if only they would bring cheaper flights to Roanoke.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:47 PM

219 posts, read 877,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
=

Now if only they would bring cheaper flights to Roanoke.
2nd. That airport is really quite absurd. I've found flights to be on average $250 less expensive at Richmond or Greensboro. (Except allegiant air down to FL).

Old 06-02-2009, 03:10 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
Unlike the counties around here I feel Henrico, Hanover, and Chesterfield contribute plenty to the city of Richmond in fact many major employers are in those three counties. Also they give millions to the city for several causes its the city that is corrupt and needs to do something meaningful with that money.
How does the City receive millions of dollars from the adjacent counties?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area