Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 09:45 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times

Advertisements

We're going to be visiting my son in Salem in a couple of weeks and spending the night. I'm looking for a restaurant suggestion that will satisfy the whole crowd. I was thinking of the Roanoker restaurant. We've eaten there before and liked it. Price was good too. But how about the Homeplace Restaurant in Catawba? That sounds a little more interesting and the setting sounds beautiful.

We're a mixed crowd as far as tastes. I'm going to offer to take son and his roommates - that's four guys in their early twenties - bottomless pits. My daughter, vegetarian, younger son, also bottomless pit. My parents - my Dad will eat just about anything, my Mom cannot tolerate anything the least bit spicy and is a slow eater. I'm good with anything but am not a big eater.

Would either of these be a good choice or is there some place else that would be better?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 02:39 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
We're going to be visiting my son in Salem in a couple of weeks and spending the night. I'm looking for a restaurant suggestion that will satisfy the whole crowd. I was thinking of the Roanoker restaurant. We've eaten there before and liked it. Price was good too. But how about the Homeplace Restaurant in Catawba? That sounds a little more interesting and the setting sounds beautiful.

We're a mixed crowd as far as tastes. I'm going to offer to take son and his roommates - that's four guys in their early twenties - bottomless pits. My daughter, vegetarian, younger son, also bottomless pit. My parents - my Dad will eat just about anything, my Mom cannot tolerate anything the least bit spicy and is a slow eater. I'm good with anything but am not a big eater.

Would either of these be a good choice or is there some place else that would be better?
Good Morning!

The homeplace sounded like a homerun until you said your daughter was a vegatarian. I was a vegatarian for 3 years and trust me she will not be happy at the homeplace. The food is awesome, the setting is even better but everything there from the 3 meat selections offered to all of the veggies served has meat in it. The place is a definate when I have people visiting but not a place to take someone who dosnt eat meat. I would suggest taking everyone to downtown Roanoke so they can get a feel for our city. There are many cool resturants down there from Alajandro's Mexican grill (lots of vegatarian offerings, just about everything can be served with out meat) to Blues BBQ (not too sure about their vegatarian offerings either). If you go to Blues you have to check out their huspuppies served with peach butter!!! MMMM.. Have a great time here

Old 06-01-2009, 06:16 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,188,010 times
The Homeplace is in a gorgeous setting:

homeplace restaurant loc: Troutville, VA - Google Maps

However I'm with Teebyrd, vegans are going to have a very limited selection.

Sean

Old 06-01-2009, 06:58 AM

219 posts, read 877,713 times
IMO, you can never go wrong at Fork in the Alley. Food is reasonably priced for your bottomless pit, best pizza in town, get it without meat and your vegetarian is satisfied. Great area, great environment. If you're looking for something a little more upscale though, I'd look elsewhere.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:36 AM

192 posts, read 631,209 times
Brambleton Deli has it all and at a great price. Now this is really "eating" vs. dining but Cici's pizza at Towers Mall is about as much bang for the buck as you can possibly get. And the pizza buffet has ALL you could ask for including vegetarian. We've only been there twice but I ran into my doctor both times. this could be easy on your wallet and would certainly fill up the biggest eater. Last time we went it was maybe $5 per person unlimited.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:40 AM

Thanks everyone for such quick suggestions. I guess I was trying to kill too many birds with one stone. I was thinking that the boys would like some home-cooking since they eat lots of pizza at Mac and Bobs and the Homeplace would be kind of special. My Mom really needs bland food too. My daughter can get by with just sides for a meal or two but not if there is meat in them so I guess that won't work.

We've all been to downtown Roanoke before. In fact, my husband and I lived there when our daughter was a baby and my husband worked for GE. After being on the road all day, I think we will just want a laid back dinner and a nice visit with son.

We're not looking for upscale, but it really can't be heavily spiced or my Mom won't be able to eat it. That means no barbecue and probably not mexican. *sigh*

Not meaning to sound negative, but I'm trying to make the whole group happy.

Cece's is not on the list - been there, done that, won't go back again.

The reason I mentioned the Roanoker and Homestead is because those are unique places unlike what we have up here.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:20 AM

567 posts, read 2,140,850 times
I would still go with the Homeplace. Sorry to the vegetarian, majority rules in this case. The Homeplace would be the best restaurant for everyone else!

Old 06-01-2009, 10:16 AM

11 posts, read 31,534 times
Why not the New Yorker on Williamson Rd? They have a variety of sandwiches including vegetarian options... I am sure that your son hasn't ventured out that way, I know that I didn't when I was in school.

I will also put a vote in for Fork in the Alley... Their pizza is second to none and puts Mac and Bobs pizza to shame!

Old 06-01-2009, 11:47 AM

Erin, I kind of agree with you and will call the Homeplace to see just what they have on the menu. My daughter is not the type to complain about not having vegetarian food, she would just make do with what's available and then get her protein at the next meal. If that means mashed potatoes and biscuits, I don't think she would mind too much. I tried to call them just now but they're not open on Monday's.

The New Yorker sounds interesting but we most likely have better subs/hoagies here in the Pennsylvania. Besides, my daughter is moving to NYC in August. It would be kind of funny to go to a place called the New Yorker in VA.... The fork in the alley has great reviews on Tripadvisor and does look like something the guys and my daughter would like but I'm not so sure about pizza. We're stopping by Roanoke on our way to a family vacation in Florida with a bunch of other relatives and pizza is usually on the menu a couple of times already.

Alright, I'll stop wasting everyone's time here and instead read more on the great restaurant thread you all have going on. Thanks!

Realtors, See This.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:53 AM

696 posts, read 1,428,808 times
toobusytoday, I'm a vegetarian too, and I think the Homeplace is just too much of a local institution to pass up. Personally I wouldn't eat anything in the place, not even mashed potatoes and biscuits (made with lard maybe?), but I'd still want to go! So I'd just bring something with me to eat, and soak up the atmosphere while the rest of the family chows down on comfort food. Something tells me the Homeplace wouldn't mind seeing an occasional guest with dietary restrictions bring in a PBJ from home, when the rest of their party is ordering off the menu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area