Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2009, 06:44 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,888,257 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been to the new "mini" artificial ski slope in Lynchburg? It is a great place to take young kids who like to go tubing. I would hesitate to ski down the slope since there is no snow but some kind of artificial turf. It is the first of its kind in the U.S. I wonder if the fact it is affiliated with Liberty
turns a lot of people off from visiting? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 10:06 PM

104 posts, read 303,239 times
I went up there just the other day. As an avid snowboarder and skier, I can assure you it feels very similar to the real thing, except maybe a bit faster. right now there are only two rather short trails, one of them containing a jump fore the experts, plus a small bunny slope for newbies. I've heard they plan on expanding the slope by 2X this fall however.

A word of warning though.. the slope is not very wide and if you lose control and fly off the edge, there's not much to stop you from face-planting into the gravel. Also be sure to wear long sleeves and long pants. the surface is like a bristly carpet and I've seen friends get some nastly rugburns, but imho, falls are softer than granulated packed powder provided your covered.

Another thing I forgot to mention. The ski lift is basically a pulley that you hold on to and it drags you up the hill. I still haven't mastered the thing and usually emabarass myself by slipping and falling on my way up. But at least I'm not the only one who sucks at it lol.

Last edited by passo82; 08-31-2009 at 10:29 PM..

Old 09-01-2009, 06:36 AM

As a skiier I prefer snow. I skiied up at Snowshoe on an icy day and I almost killed myself it was that slick and fast. On the Snowflex I can see already the potential for accidents. Its funny though young kids and teens don't seem to have the same problems with accidents skiing than older folks. A friend of mines 12 year old(who never skiied before)had no problem skiing down an icy mountain like I did. We'll see if this thing works.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:33 AM

104 posts, read 303,239 times
I telling you though, it really doesn't hurt when you fall. It's like they installed some sort of spring like device underneath the whole thing so it absorbs most of the impact. just make sure you cover all exposed skin.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:54 PM

Can you actually do the snow plow as you come down the slope? I know I would lose my balance.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:48 AM

738 posts, read 2,956,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passo82 View Post
I telling you though, it really doesn't hurt when you fall. It's like they installed some sort of spring like device underneath the whole thing so it absorbs most of the impact. just make sure you cover all exposed skin.

did you watch the video on their website about the Snowflex technology? Some guy in Britain invented it. They have a good bit of foam padding underneath of the carpeted slopes to absorb the impact and make falling easier on you.

It's really neat technology, I wish I invented it! I'd like to try it out at some point if I can make it down that way ever. It'd be really cool to be able to snowboard in the summer

Old 09-22-2009, 08:42 AM

18 posts, read 49,948 times
It is fun, as one poster said however it is really tough to get the hang of the ski lift ( i think i wasted more energy trying to stay balanced and avoid falling over while trying to ride that thing up than i did actually snowboarding haha!) but it is a pretty neat thing and its rather inexpensive only $7 an hour and i went up on the first weeekend it opened... if you do fall hoqever it can and will knock the wind out of you, thats for certain.. they keep the "slopes" wet constantly with water so i would suggest wearing somethign waterproof if you can and be sure to bring a change of clothes unless you want to ride home soaking wet.. (which i did lol)

my friend however fell and cut up his arm, bruised his knee really bad, and ripped his clothes on just one fall so you might not want to wear something you'd be upset if it got ruined (just an fyi from personal experience, and maybe wear knee pads if your a true beginner) hope this helps!!

Old 09-22-2009, 02:29 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,071,049 times
My buddy was severely injured the opening weekend of SnowFlex. Of course he was doing a very dangerous stunt that caused him to fall. He broke his ribs, punctured a lung, separated his shoulder and had a concussion.

He's healing up now, but i think he learned his lesson on that slick surface.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area