U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 11:55 PM

20 posts, read 50,043 times
Default Whole Foods store in Roanoke

Just wondering if there is a whole foods store, trader joe's, and also any ethnic markets in Roanoke?

Living just south of Asheville, NC and I am very weary of 'No selection' of many things here. We are definately looking at Roanoke to move to.

Any suggestions on where NOT to move in Roanoke? I have been watching the weather and www.realtor.com for the last year and know nothing about the city itself, but I see plenty of houses for $70,000 to $80,000. Any advice you can offer is certainly appreciated.

Thank you very much - Linda In NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 10:28 AM

1,983 posts, read 3,713,361 times
There is an indian grocer on Brambleton Ave in SW, middle eastern, mexican,
asian grocers on Williamson Rd NW, also try Happys market on Saturday mornings which has a new Vietnamese grocer(unbelievably unique produce selections). I have Vietnamese and Thai neighbors who shop there regularly. I'm sorry I'm not familiar with all of their offerings. There is a fresh seafood market, organic produce is grown on nearby farms and the farmers bring in fresh produce daily to the downtown farmers market and the many downtown restaurants. There is an organic dairy farm outside town which supplies the area with healthy milk. The best place to shop with similarities to Whole Food is the Roanoke Cop in Grandin Village. It is full of most everything you will need in the way of produce, healthy food, ethnic choices, etc. There are some specialty grocers also.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:07 PM

543 posts, read 300,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendri479 View Post
Just wondering if there is a whole foods store, trader joe's, and also any ethnic markets in Roanoke?

Living just south of Asheville, NC and I am very weary of 'No selection' of many things here. We are definately looking at Roanoke to move to.

Any suggestions on where NOT to move in Roanoke? I have been watching the weather and www.realtor.com for the last year and know nothing about the city itself, but I see plenty of houses for $70,000 to $80,000. Any advice you can offer is certainly appreciated.

Thank you very much - Linda In NC
Not to spoil your thoughts on Roanoke as it is a wonderful area, but I don't think any of those stores have made it to Roanoke, yet. Charlottesville has a Whole Foods and Richmond has Whole Foods and Trader Joes as does Norfolk/Va Beach and NoVa. Hopefully not having those stores are not a dealbreaker on Roanoke though, Just thought I'd let you know where else they could be found in the state.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:11 PM

Location: A Small Metro In Southeastern Virginia Called Virginia Beach/Norfolk.
1,556 posts, read 2,536,906 times
Trader Joe's just opened up a new store in the Hilltop section of Virginia Beach

Old 11-03-2009, 07:55 AM

29 posts, read 48,232 times
If a Whole Foods were to open up here, I'd live there...

Old 11-04-2009, 09:50 PM

15 posts, read 41,820 times
Wow, I live almost next store to a Whole Foods here in NC (and a few miles away from Trader Joes). I'm thinking about moving to Roanoke and the thought of not having these two wonderful stores to go to is just terrible!

Old 11-05-2009, 05:06 AM

1,442 posts, read 2,441,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnofl View Post
Wow, I live almost next store to a Whole Foods here in NC (and a few miles away from Trader Joes). I'm thinking about moving to Roanoke and the thought of not having these two wonderful stores to go to is just terrible!
Yeah have fun shopping at Kroger or Super Walmart You use to have Ukrop's but I wont comment on that one! hehe.. Overall living in Roanoke you will have to make certain sacrifices but in my opinion its a great place to live.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:15 AM

55 posts, read 178,103 times
jpnofl...

Hey! Don't despair too much if you make the move to beautiful Roanoke. We do have a Fresh Market & it is wildly popular & a great place to shop :-)

Old 11-14-2009, 11:42 PM

20 posts, read 50,043 times
Default Whole Food in NC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnofl View Post
There's a whole foods and trader Joes in NC? Where? What city is it in?

Linda

Old 11-15-2009, 04:12 AM

7 posts, read 22,736 times
Nearest Trader Joe's to WNC is in Charlotte. Never been, myself. Went to a Whole Foods once in Durham. WF's are everywhere, but in Asheville...since we have our own organic grocery chains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area