Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 12:11 PM

506 posts, read 1,402,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger74 View Post
So live it. Want museums -some of the best in the world are just three hours away in DC and most are free. Hotels are now very cheap. $59/night for a 3.5 star hotel. $79 for a 4 star. Concerts of all types are also within three hours with many locally or just an hour away in Cville or Roanoke. Restaurants--ample locally. Shopping-ample locally except high end which is also in DC area or Richmond--both within 3 hours. Or save $$$$ and shop on-line. Sports--ample locally.
Scenic drives/hiking--one of the best in US is just minutes away on the Blue Ridge Parkway. All you need is an attitude adjustment.
I have to LEAVE the area to get that...plus I THINK I am a horrible driver as it has NEVER taken me three hours, one way to DC (usually it takes way over four, sometimes five).

So I would like to have a night out with my wife WITHOUT having to plan a weekend gettaway. Now I settle for a movie and Olive Garden or The Neighbors Place restaurant. It could be worse...but it could be so much better.

Restaurants and Shopping is just OK. Lynchburg could not even sustain a standard GAP store. Most restaurants are just restaurant chains (Applebees, TGI Friday etc, etc).

But we have had this discussion before......maybe I agree with you in 15 years....but today, sorry..

I was 29 when I moved here in 2002....soon I will have to realize that I waisted my 30's in a place like Lynchburg....THAT is depressing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 05:54 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,657,350 times
Take your wife to Millstone Tea Room, Main Street, Bull Branch, Isabella's or Shoemaker's or any of the dozens of non chain ethnic restaurants. I have hardly ever eaten at any of the non fastfood chains in Lynchburg. Why go to Olive Garden when there is Isabella's or Milano's??

I have driven to the DC airport many times and I average 3 hours like clockwork. I avoid rushhour. But I do drive a Porsche.;-)

Old 12-08-2009, 06:19 PM

506 posts, read 1,402,506 times
I have been to some of the places you mention...but not Milano's, we are southern, are we not :-) (Joke here for anyone wondering what nonsens I am talking, Milano is in northern Italy and in Italy there is a north/south rivalry as well.....yup, that is how funny I am )

On a more serious note, we have talked about Milano's!

Your Porsche beats my Hyundai.....not surprised . Last time I drove to DC it took exactly 4 hours.

Last edited by Mr_Jonas; 12-08-2009 at 06:28 PM..

Old 12-10-2009, 07:32 AM

5 posts, read 4,939 times
Quote:
Take your wife to Millstone Tea Room, Main Street, Bull Branch, Isabella's or Shoemaker's or any of the dozens of non chain ethnic restaurants. I have hardly ever eaten at any of the non fastfood chains in Lynchburg. Why go to Olive Garden when there is Isabella's or Milano's??

I have driven to the DC airport many times and I average 3 hours like clockwork. I avoid rushhour. But I do drive a Porsche.;-)
Same places! Same sour puss faces!

Old 12-10-2009, 05:14 PM

Another reason I see the glass half-full and rising

Riverviews rose from rubble to spur redevelopment | Lynchburg News Advance (http://www2.newsadvance.com/lna/news/opinion/darrell_laurant/article/riverviews_rose_from_rubble_to_spur_redevelopment/22178/ - broken link)

Old 12-11-2009, 04:35 AM

136 posts, read 344,707 times
Quote:
Another reason I see the glass half-full and rising

Riverviews rose from rubble to spur redevelopment | Lynchburg News Advance (http://www2.newsadvance.com/lna/news/opinion/darrell_laurant/article/riverviews_rose_from_rubble_to_spur_redevelopment/22178/ - broken link)
Yea and there are elephants, lions too in Piccadilly Circus

Old 12-11-2009, 06:39 AM

8 posts, read 14,083 times
Default roanoke - lynchburg

hi there!

There are great options in Roanoke in terms of eating out and the downtown area of Roanoke has a great farmers market and social scene. The real estate and rent is VERY affordable here compared to Charlotte. The traffic is non-existent. The lake is where everyone goes to relax. It's a great lifestyle. Roanoke is a bigger city than Lynchburg. We have a GREAT Indian restaurant called Nawab's and we have Thai options and so on. You would REALLY like Charlottesville, though. check it out!
Good luck!

Old 12-11-2009, 03:29 PM

Cville is nice but has much more expensive homes and worse traffic. I use it for the occasional shopping trip and getaway from Lynchburg. But the nice neighborhoods of L are better and much more affordable than in C. For us Roanoke was just too far from where we wanted to be. The nicer areas are also very hilly which we thought was a negative as it's hard to just go for a walk. Crime is also more of an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area