U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-15-2007, 03:36 PM

7 posts, read 24,634 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be moving to Roanoke in the near future and we are very interested in the SW county. Can anyone recommend good neighborhoods in this area. We have been told to consider Penn Forest? Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 03:55 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,929,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikers View Post
My wife and I will be moving to Roanoke in the near future and we are very interested in the SW county. Can anyone recommend good neighborhoods in this area. We have been told to consider Penn Forest? Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Add me to the request list. Hubbie and i have been planning on "retiring" to Roanoke for 14 years and *finally* the time grows near; within 4 years at the most. He likes to tease me with house searches online and we have found some beauties but we too need to know what areas are good for us: quiet and friendly we mainly like to garden and walk to the countryside/neighborhoods...will be working but not nearly as hard as here in NY (:
Thanks for any info

Old 05-15-2007, 04:02 PM

7 posts, read 24,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
Add me to the request list. Hubbie and i have been planning on "retiring" to Roanoke for 14 years and *finally* the time grows near; within 4 years at the most. He likes to tease me with house searches online and we have found some beauties but we too need to know what areas are good for us: quiet and friendly we mainly like to garden and walk to the countryside/neighborhoods...will be working but not nearly as hard as here in NY (:
Thanks for any info
My wife an I are currently addicted to Realtor.com.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:20 PM

2,486 posts, read 6,068,541 times
I'm not too familiar with Roanoke as I don't live in the city but since I go to VT, I hear the Cave Spring area is mighty nice

Old 05-15-2007, 06:54 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,397,472 times
If you use Realtor.com check out their interactive map, they link to it on the search page. It's nice to see the for sale sign push pins on the map and get a visual idea of where houses are located.

The Penn Forest area is nice but it's not _really_ in a forest I'd consider it a suburb with mature trees and tree lines dividing backyards and such. You'd need to move a wee further out into the county away from the city center to get closer to those countryside walks. For the ultimate in neighborhood walk opportunities you'd be looking at Old Southwest City in the hill section. I think house prices go up about $10,000 for every 10 ft in altitude but it's sure pretty over there with quiet narrow side streets and a super nice neighborhood vibe with prideful yards and lots of kids.

Cave Spring is nice but nice in a trendy way. No offense to anyone living in that area of course, but what I've experienced of it is not as nice a neighborhood atmosphere as a Penn Forest, a Hunting Hills, a Grandin Village, Raleigh Court, or an Old SW City. For me it's too close to the 221/419 intersection which is a major intersection and commercial center. Why fight through that junk every day? But to each their own. People are drawn to Cave Spring because of Cave Spring public schools but the vibe to me is pretty cookie cutter although not overly manufactured if I'm making sense. I guess if I were a conformist I'd love Cave Spring

And for what it's worth, if you're truly hikers and don't mind being 25 minutes from downtown Roanoke then Franklin County would be a good choice. It's where I live and there are so many more hiking opportunities in Franklin County it's pretty amazing. Still, in Penn Forest, Buck Mountain or the Merriman Road area you're also close to the parkway where you can get to lots of trails pretty easily.

If you have particular homes in mind that are in neighborhoods you're curious about, then post the address or the nearest intersection street names and either I or someone else could give you some feedback.

Sean

Old 05-16-2007, 09:17 AM

567 posts, read 1,519,370 times
We also liked Hunting Hills - it's a prestigious neighborhood, on a golf course. It is beautiful - lots of trees, mature landscaping, etc.

We were looking for more contemporary homes and Hunting Hills and Bridlewood offered nice styles.

The Cave Spring area and Grandin Road areas are nice as well!

Good luck! You can't go wrong with SW County. If you want more rural areas, look in Franklin County or Botetourt County.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:46 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,012,014 times
Default Moving To Roanoke?

Most realtors in the area will steer you toward SW County. It is the most desirable area of the valley with its expensive homes and segregated public schools(among the best in VA). There are a number of new commercial developments with high end restaurants, grocers, shops which make it even more attractive to a newcomer. Since so much new home construction has gone up in SW County, the traffic is getting congested, the mountain views are disappearing and the area is or has run out of land to develop. A lot of nice developments are happening elsewhere, such as Botetourt County, Franklin County and North County. Remember, Roanoke is a unique place. One can drive from one end of the valley to the other in less than 30 minutes(with no traffic). For that reason, one can live just about anywhere and still be close to downtown and two major shopping areas. For anyone moving here, look at other areas in addition to SW County. Downtown and the City are attracting new housing options as well. Good Luck in your search!

Old 05-31-2007, 02:53 PM

232 posts, read 1,202,728 times
I lived in SW County for about 3 years and worked in the area as a police officer during that time. There are many, many fine areas to choose from. If you want a very rural experience, then go far down 221 (Brambleton Avenue and goes up Bent Mountain). For more traditional suburban development, look at most any area around Cave Spring. Hidden Hills is very nice and pleasant. I lived off Ogden Road near Colonial Avenue, really close to Tanglewood Mall. Many of the neighborhoods in that area were built in the 50's and 60's and have retained a nice community feel. Hunting Hills is definitely the place if you want and can afford upscale living. I believe someone also mentioned Penn Forest, which if my memory serves me correctly is close the the New Hidden Valley High School. I would strongly suggest taking an opportunity to get out and drive around in the area, as you will probably be pleased with that entire part of the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area