U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-22-2009, 07:22 PM

619 posts, read 890,425 times
Default How much snow does Roanoke get in the winter?

I live in Billing montana and want to live where the winters don't last very long or have much snow if any. I know Roanoke gets some snow but are you pretty much unable to hike the trails all winter long. Or can you still get outdoors in the winter. I'm tired of being housebound do to icy snowy freezing weather. So in Roanoke how are the winters? Here in Billings, it's Nov through March.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 11:38 PM

103 posts, read 178,708 times
I think I read somewhere that its about 22 inches.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:13 PM
j1n

1,201 posts, read 2,829,075 times
R-noke's average is 23.1 (although I don't think it's been that heavy in recent years). Billings, MT averages 56.9

You can hike year-round here, and getting out and around is generally no problem. The only reason that I use the word "generally" is because of situations like last weekend. We got about 2' of snow in 24 hrs and the valley was basically crippled. There is no level of preparedness here like there is in places that routinely get a lot of snow. But this was not the norm!

Old 12-23-2009, 04:51 PM

619 posts, read 890,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
R-noke's average is 23.1 (although I don't think it's been that heavy in recent years). Billings, MT averages 56.9

You can hike year-round here, and getting out and around is generally no problem. The only reason that I use the word "generally" is because of situations like last weekend. We got about 2' of snow in 24 hrs and the valley was basically crippled. There is no level of preparedness here like there is in places that routinely get a lot of snow. But this was not the norm!
thanks now i have a perspective. so it's lots less then billings and i wouldn't be stuck inside my house for 4 months due to snow. great. don't mind cold just with snow don't want to take long walks in it. thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area