Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Virginia: Roanoke, flooring, great schools, tech degrees, construction .

Old 05-26-2007, 12:32 PM

33 posts, read 147,665 times

Advertisements

Hi Sean.
You posted a response to a question of mine a few weeks ago and I hope you don't mind providing some additional information. I mentioned that my husband works in flooring, both sales and installation, and I'm wondering if you'd be willing to name a few of the better known/well respected retailers. I downloaded a list of retailers and phone numbers from yellowpages.com, but we don't know where to start with calling. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Additionally, we have a 17 year old son who'll be moving with us. He'll finish high school where we currently live (1 year remaining) and will probably enroll in a trade/technical school as soon as we move. He's in an Electrical Engineering program currently and wants to pursue some sort of related career. I've investigated the New River Community College and Virginia Western. Do you (or does anyone else) have any additional suggestions for trade/technical schools in the area?
One additional question. My daughter is looking into grad school in the Winston-Salem area. How is the drive?
Thanks a lot. Your posts are very informative! Judy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 12:46 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,732,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judy lindberg View Post
Hi Sean.

Additionally, we have a 17 year old son who'll be moving with us. He'll finish high school where we currently live (1 year remaining) and will probably enroll in a trade/technical school as soon as we move. He's in an Electrical Engineering program currently and wants to pursue some sort of related career. I've investigated the New River Community College and Virginia Western. Do you (or does anyone else) have any additional suggestions for trade/technical schools in the area?
One additional question. My daughter is looking into grad school in the Winston-Salem area. How is the drive?
Thanks a lot. Your posts are very informative! Judy
NRCC has a couple of computer tracks to go on that may interest you. However, I'm not sure if those programs lead to any type of degree. No clue on Virginia Western. However, I was curious as to why you were not considering Virginia Tech, a university whose Engineering college was rated in the top 20 engineering programs nationally at least 2 years ago (haven't been keeping up the last two years).

Old 05-26-2007, 06:03 PM

SmerkyGrl,

Thanks for the reply. I should have been more specific in my request. I know that Virginia Tech is an awesome school. However we're looking more for a technical school or community college that offers an associate degree in an electrical related field.
The title of the program our son is in, "Electrical Engineering", is actually pretty misleading. This is a program he's enrolled in as a high school junior. He attends regular high school classes for half a day and a technical school for the other half, where he learns "hands on" skills and theory in the electrical field. His personality is better suited to a "hands on" type of trade.
Thanks, Judy

Old 05-27-2007, 03:24 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,571 times
I'm decompressing after helping my wife as she produced and managed the SWVADA recognized Spring dressage show in Salem yesterday I'll be brief but I'll try to help as much as I can

I know a fellow just out of the Navy who was in the nuclear chemistry field and is now at Virginia Western working on his 2 year Electronic Engineering degree. He seems to like it. If you have specific questions I'll be seeing him again in two weeks and I'll relay your questions to him and his answers back to you.

I also have another friend who is considering the hands-on stuff at Virginia Western, and will be getting a 2 year degree in electrical/utility maintenance. He envisions himself keeping an apartment community running (HVAC repair, electrical repair as a licensed electrician, etc).

The best and most well regarded family owned tile company around here is Southwest Virginia Tile & Stone. They have a location in Salem(?) and in Rocky Mount just south of Boones Mill on Route 220. There is also a BRAND NEW Home Depot on Route 220 in Roanoke just across from Lowes that is hiring currently. If he could get himself down here and interview in person that might be a great opportunity.

There is a Carpetland USA on Electric Road in a great location that must get tons of business. It is across from Grand Home Furnishings, the largest locally owned chain of middle to high end furniture stores in the region. There is also a place called Fashion Floors on Electric very close to the 220 exit that specializes in hardwood I believe. Don't know anything about them though.

Hope this helps!

Sean

Old 05-27-2007, 08:57 PM

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. It sounds like you must have had a pretty chaotic weekend.

Of the 20 listings I downloaded for flooring stores in the Roanoke area, Southwest Virginia Tile & Stone didn't even appear, so I'm glad I asked. It gives us a good place to start.

The only specific question I can think of for your friend in the Electronic Engineering program, is what type of work will the program prepare him for? My son just started in the electrical engineering program this year, so he has some investigating to do before he chooses a career path. I can't really picture him working in manufacturing. I think he'd prefer something with more variety, maybe more like what your other friend plans to do. If you have the opportunity to talk with him, will you ask him the specific name of the program he's looking at? The only similar one I see on Virginia Western's website is a certificate program in electrical wiring, which prepares you to be a journeyman electrician. I think the journeymen positions are hard to come by.

Anyway, I'm really glad to have found this forum. I've never used anything like it before. I have learned so much by reading all of the posts.

Judy

Old 05-28-2007, 09:14 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,571 times
I'll try to catch up with my friends soon and get back to you.

If he wanted to become an electrician, he'd be kept pretty busy in the Roanoke area! With a slingshot from my hilltop farm alone I could hit 50 neighboring lots that will have homes on them within 3 years

Sean

Old 05-29-2007, 03:28 PM

I appreciate your help. It sounds like a good area to be in for anyone working in costruction related trades. We plan to visit in a month or so to see in person and to try and find an area that appeals to all of us.

Look forward to hearing from you, Judy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area