U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 07:02 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,007,902 times

Advertisements

When it comes to transportation convenience from Amtrak-Kemper Street Station to anywhere in Roanoke, Good Luck! The station is not in the best part of Lynchburg. I have left my car there and it was o.k. but parking is limited also. To me, riding Amtrak is still like taking the Greyhound bus. If you can use a car it is wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 11:02 AM

122 posts, read 158,520 times
I've been leaving my car there three times a month for the past year without an issue. I don't leave anything visible in it, though. I'm one of ~ 50-100 people getting off the train in the evening, and it's fine then, but I can't speak to what it's like outside arrival and departure times.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:25 PM

108 posts, read 198,799 times
Okay, I know it's is a little late for you, Blondiness, but here's what I know about this.

DO NOT PARK YOUR CAR IN THE TRAIN STATION PARKING LOT. If you must, then park in the Lynchburg Airport parking lot and catch a cab to the train station. It costs about $6/day to park at the airport.

The biggest problems with the Amtrack in Lynchburg are that it leaves at a god-awful hour (like 5:30AM) and it's in a TERRIBLE neighborhood. So, you can't go down and hang out until it arrives (besides they close the station from 11PM-5AM), and it's very difficult to get anyone to give you a ride!

The better bet is to take the train from Charlottesville. It's right near UVA, and the schedule is more accomodating. You can take the Greyhound from Roanoke to Charlottesville. Here's the link for the Amtrak Charlottesville timetable: Amtrak - Reservations - Fare Finder.

The other suggestion I will make is to fly. It's not that much more to fly (especially when you count the cost of food and the bus ticket) -- about $250 from Roanoke to NYC, $200 to LaGuardia, $230 to Boston...not sure where you are going...and it gets you there in a matter of hours.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-29-2010, 08:03 AM

122 posts, read 158,520 times
To correct the misinformation: there are 2 trains out of Lynchburg these days. The Crescent, which leaves at ~6:05, and the Regional at ~7:35. If they are on schedule, the trains come back through around 8:30 (Regional) and 10:00 (Crescent).

Yes, parking is limited, and it's much harder to get a space if you're parking to catch the regional train and during holidays and the summer. There are lots of people around when the trains depart and arrive (according to Amtrak they are putting over 200 passengers on the train some days). The surrounding neighborhood is mainly warehouses and houses, with some multi-family dwellings, and the population density has been declining, but, like most cities, going from street to street/block to block can make a difference. Regardless, travelers likely wouldn't be walking outside of the Amtrak/Greyhound station lot, which is set back on it's own cobbled street.

Please don't leave obvious things like a GPS on your dash. That would be just as applicable if you parked at an airport. I reiterate that I leave my car overnight several times a month, and have been doing so for over a year now, and I've had no bits of discomfort walking around there or problems with my car.

Last edited by springgrl; 11-29-2010 at 08:29 AM..

Old 01-10-2011, 10:38 PM

FLASH!!!
The latest news is that Amtrak is now seriously considering a bus from the
Lynchburg station to Roanoke & vice versa. They feel one is necessary for
the new service to DC. Also, the state keeps saying 2015 is the earliest an actual "train" will come out of Roanoke again. If we all begin to ride the new
Amtrak bus then the state will see a real "train" might serve Roanoke again.
The funny part is the locals rebuilt the old train station for rail service 30 YEARS AGO!! It has been sitting empty at the Link museum begging for our elected "nit wits" to get trains started up again!
This info comes from the Roanoke Times, btw

Old 01-12-2011, 10:05 AM

820 posts, read 1,194,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
FLASH!!!
The latest news is that Amtrak is now seriously considering a bus from the
Lynchburg station to Roanoke & vice versa.
YES!

Old 01-21-2011, 12:59 PM

Sorry for no link, but the Lynchburg News Advance reports a bus is planned from Roanoke to Lynchburg Amtrak in July, '11. It will be operated by Valley Metro. Like usual, Roanoke City will foot the bill I guess and they are now trying to raise the money for the new service BUT a Federal grant may help offset some of the costs. Amtrak tried that approach years ago with a bus to Clifton Forge station but it was discontinued. Most people found it easier to just drive
to the station. If Amtrak had any "vision" they would look at their routes and
swing a train down to Roanoke and up to DC. LOL!

Old 01-21-2011, 03:23 PM

122 posts, read 276,343 times
Here is the link to the RT's article on Wednesday, Jan. 19th -- https://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/274201

Old 01-21-2011, 06:35 PM

Thanks Waterfront. To me, a bus is a bus and a train is a train. I don't see how
a bus to Lynchburg will excite people to take the train as it is so much easier to drive to Lynchburg. The rail town of Roanoke for over 100 years will one day have a train if there are forward looking people today willing to invest in the future.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:40 AM

122 posts, read 276,343 times
Today's RT has a small article saying gas prices will be in the $3.20 to $3.75/gal range by March-April, before the summer vacation season. That might influence some folks to take the bus vs. driving, but I agree that most people find it more convenient to drive. The few (retired) people I know that take Amtrak out of Lynchburg do so to visit family in the DC/NOVA area, and seems that half the time they end up driving because they don't like the early morning departure times from L'burg.

I see where a 2008 study estimates it would cost $105 million for track upgrades & maintenance to bring passenger rail service to Roanoke, but I'm not sure what that involves. Are there different track requirement for passenger vs. freight rail?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area