U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 05:28 AM

11 posts, read 17,098 times

Advertisements

I am from China,I have a comfortable life with parents' help. but I am in love with a man at Rochester, and we are engage, I want to move to there with him. How my life willl be changed, and how much I need to live a same life as I live at China.

At China when I go shopping for dinner, I do not have to buy the cheapest in the market.
every weekend, I can have a nice dinner at some asian restaurants.
every month, I can buy some nice clothes from "Express" "Only" ect. and some other nice lady's stuff.
I can go travel at countries around home once in two years in 10 days.
I can go swimming at a nice clean swimming pool at summer.
occasionally can go to theater(like once in two weeks)
go to a concert once a while.

that is the life I have at China, I do not know if I want the same type of life at Rochester? How can I have the life I list above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 08:29 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,636,246 times
You can do all of that here, with the exception of the Asian restaurants. There are a few decent Asian restaurants here, but coming from China I'm going to assume that they won't be anywhere as good.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:26 PM

it's good enough for me to have such life, but I do not know how much to spend for such life?

Old 06-12-2010, 06:18 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,335,485 times
How do you feel about driving, do you prefer to walk?

Old 06-12-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
How do you feel about driving, do you prefer to walk?

oh,yes a car is included. I drive car.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:13 PM

6,196 posts, read 14,245,360 times
Have you met the man you are in love with in Rochester?

Old 06-12-2010, 08:16 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,659,953 times
King and I on E. Henrietta is one of the best in Rochester, and it's a Thai-themed place. We used to take folks there from out of town if they were in the mood for Asian.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:20 PM

525 posts, read 1,645,756 times
I know someone who has married a woman from China and his suggestions is the Cantonese House on Winton Rd. They are Chinese owned and have a Chinese-only menu that will be food familiar from home (not Americanized Chinese).

Also, I know there is an Asian Market at Winton and South Goodman, as well as an Asian-owned fish vendor at the Public Market. Churi's in Irondequoit is authentic Thai (rumor is she is the only actual Thailand born Thai chef in Rochester) and delicious. Here is another place I've never been to, but looks promising...Henrietta Asian market: Live seafood | democratandchronicle.com | Democrat and Chronicle

Old 06-14-2010, 05:43 PM

131 posts, read 726,956 times
It's hard to answer your questions about cost without knowing about how much your income here will be and how much you will be able to budget for the kinds of things you've listed. And also it's difficult without knowing how much such things cost for you in China. Could you either give us an idea of how much you will have to spend on things here, or how much these things cost where you are now? If you can give the approximate cost of clothing, food, entertainment, travel, etc. where you are (either in your currency or in dollars, I can convert it if necessary) we can try to give you more specific advice. :-)

Just to give you a general idea now, gas is about $2.75 per gallon here (18.75 yuan.) Dinner in an Asian restaurant might cost about $30-$40 for two people (205-273 yuan)--not including alcoholic drinks. Theater tickets vary but might cost about $50 each locally-- 342 yuan--you would spend much more in New York City (about $100 each or 683 yuan.) Clothing is so varied that it would probably be better if you told us how much you would spend on, say, a dress to wear to work, and we could tell you how much such a thing might cost here.

I hope this helps a little!

Old 06-14-2010, 08:47 PM

291 posts, read 672,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Have you met the man you are in love with in Rochester?
Seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area