U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 11:32 AM

3 posts, read 6,494 times
It's easy for me to understand why people get so 'excited' over a grocery store. Just think what a major part of your life it is. Most people are there at least once a week, and others, like myself more often. It's not like a furniture or department store, or a movie theatre, where you go once in a while. It's a continual regular part of your life!

And I agree, Wegman's is so awesome. I can't imagine not living near one. It's hard enough for me when we're in Florida for 2 mos. In addition to all the other comments, their deli, prepared meals, bakery are also exceptional! Also, I love their 'seasonal' section. They have some of the nicest decorations, dishes, home accesories, etc. It's like shopping at a Pottery Barn or Pier One instead of a Walmart or Sam's Club.

Also, a MAJOR thing that stands out to me, & I'm surprised no one else mentioned is the lighting, which adds so much to the atmosphere! It may sound crazy to some people, but if you like soft lights, dimmers, mood lighting, you'll understand. I think some people aren't even aware that the lighting is different. It would be like the difference in a soft lit restaraunt as compared to a harshly lit bright diner. But, it's still obviously bright enough that you can see good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 05:39 PM

233 posts, read 389,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy51 View Post
Also, a MAJOR thing that stands out to me, & I'm surprised no one else mentioned is the lighting, which adds so much to the atmosphere! It may sound crazy to some people, but if you like soft lights, dimmers, mood lighting, you'll understand. I think some people aren't even aware that the lighting is different. It would be like the difference in a soft lit restaraunt as compared to a harshly lit bright diner. But, it's still obviously bright enough that you can see good.
In marketing, dim lighting is indicative of higher prices, which proves true in this case. It's another reason I usually shop at Tops now.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:43 PM

5 posts, read 5,205 times
We have so much pride in our Wegmans because it started here. They are also very supportive of their employees. for example many of the clerks receive school scholarships for college. Also they have an amazing selection of foods and international and gourmet selections.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:43 PM

10 posts, read 11,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenj View Post
Ok a little while back I asked on a thread why all the excitement about a new Wegmans. Maybe it was lost in the thread. It seems to be a common theme through out a lot of posts, you guys seem a little nutty over a grocery store. Can some one please explain!!!
Once you've shopped at Tops, you'll understand why Rochestarians shop at Weggies. You also don't appreciate Wegmans until you live somewhere where the only place to shop is IGA, Piggly Wiggly, or Stop and Shop.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:49 AM

30,836 posts, read 35,900,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummah View Post
Once you've shopped at Tops, you'll understand why Rochestarians shop at Weggies. You also don't appreciate Wegmans until you live somewhere where the only place to shop is IGA, Piggly Wiggly, or Stop and Shop.
Can't forget Winn-Dixie too....

Old 06-25-2010, 11:26 AM

404 posts, read 861,056 times
It's not only you guys from Rochester who are fanatics about Weggies. We Syracusians love it too! As far as the comment about prices, we find them very comparable with Price Chopper and P&C (Tops). We always take our out of town guests there. They think we are a little strange to make such a big deal about a supermarket, until they see for themselves.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:57 AM

8 posts, read 8,498 times
How can you compare a Garbage Plate to Wegmans? One is the worst we have to offer and the other is the best. There really is no other supermarket I know that compares to Wegmans; it's the prototype all others should follow. That said, it's sad that that is what we use for 'bragging rights'.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:28 AM

531 posts, read 599,578 times
lol speak for yourself! i'd take a garbage plate over Wegmans any day

Old 07-02-2010, 08:01 PM

59 posts, read 129,347 times
Just to give props to Aorre, I also admit that I also normally shop at Tops, but I go to Weg once a month for certain things. Tops, at least the one on Clinton, is as bad as people are implying, assuming your food need are modest in terms of price and variety.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:45 AM

233 posts, read 389,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David001 View Post
Just to give props to Aorre, I also admit that I also normally shop at Tops, but I go to Weg once a month for certain things. Tops, at least the one on Clinton, is as bad as people are implying, assuming your food need are modest in terms of price and variety.
Thanks. Yeah, we all end up at Wegmans for one odd item or another. And that Clinton Tops is pretty awful. They forgot to stock fresh food when we shopped there, so everything spoiled. Plus, it was dirty on the inside (remember the "Tops never mops" chant?). And the employees there look like they're about to have a lumbar puncture most of the time.

The Tops in the eastern suburbs are more as I described. They're cleaner, emptier, etc. I can just run in and out without bumping into bustling Sunday morning shoppers with my cart, having people cut me in line as I struggle to navigate through the hordes of people to the checkout line. Slightly lower prices too.

I live in Pittsford now, so the Wegmans here is very large and crowded. For my health, I run in and out before I'm drawn in by the friendliness of the employees* and tempted to buy some new exotic health juice, my favorite imported pistachios, or some blue-colored protein drink (yes, I'm gay and buy "gay food").

Or before I end up grabbing a slice and spending an extra 20 minutes eating at a small table, which forces me to stare at the pop machine, making me thirsty. Then I gaze at the really high ceilings and exposed beams and think about how wonderful Wegmans is, before I am inevitably interrupted by someone I know saying hello (because you always see someone you know at Wegmans) and starting a conversation; before I know it, I've spent 90 minutes inside just to grab a few things!

To this day I am still puzzled that they have their own custom tea section, where I can get waited on. In a SUPERMARKET. And of course I have to interact with other people besides the cashier, like the pharmacist, who is also friendly despite the busyness and overweight married football fanatics asking about their Lamisil prescription.

Actually, scratch that. I have to find a parking space first, which somehow ends up being 8 miles from the entrance. I have to avoid hitting pedestrians all the time which is sometimes tempting, coming from the driver of a small, unthreatening Mini. And then I have to survive the journey to the front door, through the rain or snow, dodging cars pulling out and avoiding blind spots...

So yeah, the point of this pointless post is that the Pittsford Wegmans is more of an experience. You get dressed up, put make up on, get over the fight you just had with your boyfriend over the RG&E bill, and make sure to bring a grocery list. I love shopping there, but don't have the time to go as frequently as I'd like. There are too many distractions.

*One time I was shopping with my baby sister and she dropped one of her toys without me noticing. One of the Wegmans employees followed me from the sushi section to the yogurt section, just to return it to me. I was touched, but a little embarrassed for making it look like I was ignoring her. Then again, it was really loud and crowded.

Last edited by Aorre; 07-03-2010 at 07:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area