U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 04:05 PM

6 posts, read 10,653 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Rochester area in two weeks to start a new job, and I am having QUITE a difficult time finding all the information I need about where to live. I'm hoping someone here can provide me with some insights.

So far, I think I have it narrowed down to Pittsford Village Estates and Ridgewood Apartments in Webster. Each has nearly everything I want (however, Pittsford Village Estates doesn't have an attached garage or in-unit laundry, which I was hoping for, but can live without). Pittsford Village is clearly in a great part of town where I'd feel very safe and have easy access to my job downtown and to whatever else I need. My concern is that heat and hot water are included- what does that mean? Do I get any say in where the temp is set? And if heat and hot water are included, how much value is that to me in a 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment? How much should I budget for my utilities?

Ridgewood Apartments in Webster have everything I want in a home for the next year, but they are a tiny bit more expensive and a further commute to downtown- I also don't know as much about Webster with respect to safety and general proximity to whatever I'll need. It's closer to the water- does that mean the drive is more difficult and/or that my utilities will be any higher to keep the place warm?

I'm coming from the south, and while I've lived in upstate New York before, it was a completely different situation, and I'm not sure how quickly I'll adapt to driving in snow or ice.

How much is reasonable to expect to pay for utilities for a 2 bedroom apartment?

Is there a clear advantage of one of these places over the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 08:33 PM

531 posts, read 973,544 times
I have lived in both towns--either one will be fine. Even though the commute from Webster will be a little longer, it's still an incredibly easy and short drive. Webster is 100% safe. The water won't make any difference--maybe if you were living on the lake it might, but I still don't think it would. You will be more than happy in Webster.

As for Pittsford, well, it is what it is. The only negative thing about Pittsford is it's 'elitist' or 'snobbish' reputation among some locals.

Again, when debating between these two towns, u don't need to worry bout safety; these are two of the safest places in the metro area (along with a few others). As for the city itself, well, I suggest you invest in a GPS system. While the city may be small, you really, really, really, don't want to take the wrong turn.

I'm sure you're stressed out, but trust me: you can't go wrong with either of these locations

Old 07-16-2010, 09:32 PM

355 posts, read 758,922 times
Angela217

Welcome back to Upstate NY. Having heat and hot water included in your rent will provide tremendous value and savings to you. Your apartment will most likely include a thermostat that you can use to adjust the temperature to your comfort. Usually there is a limit to how high you can set it but it will definitely be high enough where you will still be nice and warm in the winter. If garbage and sewer are also included, and they usually are, you will only really have to worry about electric which will be about $40 a month. Since you are also concerned about safety, I can attest that the west side suburbs like Gates and Greece are very safe areas as well with easy access to downtown via 490. Also rent is less expensive on the west side. Just an f.y.i. in case you were only considering the more expensive east side because you thought it was safer.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:44 PM

Thank you both so much for your help- I feel better knowing either is a good choice.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:59 PM

59 posts, read 203,062 times
Angela,

I live in a reasonable 2-bedroom apartment. I pay for heat (high efficiency forced air) and hotwater, averaging $100/month. Electric baseboard heating would be much more.

I'd consider not getting gps, and instead rely on developing familiarity with the area. It's not hard, and I think the statement above "you really, really, really, don't want to take the wrong turn" is a bit dramatic (in my opinion) may be true in certain areas, but hardly all areas.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:31 AM

A bit dramatic? LOL! You either don't watch the news or have never been to some of these areas. Not to mention she said she's worried about driving in the winter. But yeah, im being a bit dramatic............until she hits an ice patch and gets stuck in a snowbank on Avenue D.

No but seriously, I agree there are plenty of areas where taking a wrong turn is perfectly fine. But you know as well as I do that there are certain areas that you "really, really, really" don't want to get lost in.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:04 AM

525 posts, read 1,639,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
A bit dramatic? LOL! You either don't watch the news or have never been to some of these areas. Not to mention she said she's worried about driving in the winter. But yeah, im being a bit dramatic............until she hits an ice patch and gets stuck in a snowbank on Avenue D.

No but seriously, I agree there are plenty of areas where taking a wrong turn is perfectly fine. But you know as well as I do that there are certain areas that you "really, really, really" don't want to get lost in.
Even a GPS isn't safe in that regard. I've never tried it, but I imagine if you are starting at the train station or Main street and want to get to the House of Guitars or Charlotte then a GPS is going to take you down some streets that you may not want to go down. In that case, I'd take the extra few minutes to go down Winton or 590.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,577 times
If you are interested in coming to Upstate as a drug dealer, you will run into problems, but it is so ridiculous to get opinions from suburban folk about the safety in downtown when they do not live downtown. Life is about quality of life and if you live in the suburbs all you will do during the winter is stay home and watch Jersey Shore and the local news only "reporting" on any little bit of crime.

I would highly recommend the South Wedge or East End. Plenty of new developments and new apartments to choose from that are affordable and spacious and you do not have to worry about the roads because in the winter they are regularly salted and plowed. There's plenty of mini grocery stores, restaurants, and everything you could possibly need within walking distance, especially during the winter. If you would like to at least look at a few places in the area, shoot me a message and I would be happy to refer you to landlords that are awesome. You may also want to look at all the apartment complexes along East Ave that will give you the "safe" feeling and close to downtown.

Some places will let you set the water temp, but others will not. You have to ask no matter where you go. Most places should give you access to your hot water tank. In my apartment, I have access to it and regularly change it. Especially when out of town.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:10 PM

suburban folk...haha..I've lived all over Rochester--suburbs and inner city. I just call it how it is.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:16 PM

Well, I appreciate everyone's input either way. I found a place that I think is going to be a good fit for me (in Webster). Now I just have to wait for my application to be approved, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area