Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:24 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,434 times

Advertisements

We are from Rochester,however, haven't lived there now for quite a while.
Just visited a few weeks ago and saw that several "Five Guys" hamburg franchises were opening up.

We have been to them as they are all over the mid-Atlantic, and while we think they are good and probably one of the better hamburg places to go where we are living, it doesn't compare to Charlies,Bill Gray's or Tom Wahl's that you have in the Rochester area, at least in our op...

Just curious if anyone has gone and if you like them better than the places you already have available to you there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 11:58 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,716,816 times
When ever I worked in NOVA and DC I was told 5 guys was the place to go for burgers. I was very underwhelmed when I ate there. It's on the same level as Wendys as far as I'm concerned. I saw that they started opening up around the Rochester area. I'll take any of the local places over 5 guys.
They do give you a lot of fries, but they aren't that great either.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:16 PM

525 posts, read 1,827,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
We are from Rochester,however, haven't lived there now for quite a while.
Just visited a few weeks ago and saw that several "Five Guys" hamburg franchises were opening up.

We have been to them as they are all over the mid-Atlantic, and while we think they are good and probably one of the better hamburg places to go where we are living, it doesn't compare to Charlies,Bill Gray's or Tom Wahl's that you have in the Rochester area, at least in our op...

Just curious if anyone has gone and if you like them better than the places you already have available to you there?
I agree that it falls in the area above fast food and below the "char broil place" level (e.g., Bill Grays, Schallers, Abes, Tom Wahl's, Don's Original, Sullivans)

Old 07-19-2010, 05:50 PM

233 posts, read 685,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
I agree that it falls in the area above fast food and below the "char broil place" level (e.g., Bill Grays, Schallers, Abes, Tom Wahl's, Don's Original, Sullivans)
Kinda like Panera with their overpriced breads, bagels, and soups.

My favorite sin food is Tom Wahl's. Their onion rings are pretty good. Five Guys is a crap shoot at best, but that's just me.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:42 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,868,442 times
It's "Okay"..... if you are going for quantity 5Guys is the place to go.... the fries alone could feed a family of 5 for the week!

BUT....if you are going for taste I would aim for Bill Grays or Tom Whal's.... Then Don's Original/Don & Bobs..... then Vick and Irv's and the LDR..... not 5Guys..... just my opinion....

Old 07-20-2010, 12:12 AM

531 posts, read 1,143,910 times
Burgers are one thing Rochester has got right for a long, long, long time. In many places there's only two types of burgers: the kind from a fast food joint or one from a conventional restaurant. 5Guys closely resembles our locally owned burger joints in that its definitely not 'fast food', but its definitely not a burger you'd get from Applebees either. Therefore, while their burgers do taste quite well, we simply won't appreciate it as much as people from elsewhere around the country.

Garmin, trust me, if you weren't from Rochester--where we have a half dozen INCREDIBLE burger joints--you would find a HUGE difference between 5Guys and Wendy's. Just look at all the awards and accolades 5Guys has recieved around the country. To someone who grew up on TW, BG, Charlies, or Don, it's like a Wendy's; to someone who grew up on McD, BK, or Wendy's, it's like a burger sent from God himself (don't get me wrong, I too would take our local offerings over 5G every single time).

Old 07-20-2010, 05:30 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,883 times
I had a burger from the Char Pit a few weeks ago and wasn't impressed, I guess it's changed owners a few times and just went back to the original owners, so maybe that's why. Burger was flat and nothing special, just overall disappointing. I remember them having great burgers too. I still can't complain about a Schallers cheeseburger on a hard roll with ketchup, mustard, sweet relish, and hot sauce though!

Old 07-20-2010, 05:49 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,716,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
[i]
Garmin, trust me, if you weren't from Rochester--where we have a half dozen INCREDIBLE burger joints--you would find a HUGE difference between 5Guys and Wendy's. Just look at all the awards and accolades 5Guys has recieved around the country. To someone who grew up on TW, BG, Charlies, or Don, it's like a Wendy's; to someone who grew up on McD, BK, or Wendy's, it's like a burger sent from God himself (don't get me wrong, I too would take our local offerings over 5G every single time).
Yea, when I went to 5 guys in Virginia I noticed the awards on the walls and really didn't understand why. I found places with better burgers in the DC/VA area. I guess we are spoiled up here.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:29 AM

707 posts, read 1,466,585 times
they are better in florida.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:00 PM

231 posts, read 849,458 times
I love 5guys fries. But I think they were awarded top 10 worst foods to eat...Along with Outback Bloomin Onion...

So I ate the fries only once, but they sure are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area