U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-28-2010, 05:49 AM
 
531 posts, read 976,082 times
Reputation: 274

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
Hahaha nice joke, on so many levels.

2009 Omaha city population: 454,731

2009 Rochester city population: 207,294

2009 Omaha Metro: 849,517

2009 Rochester Metro: 1,035,556

Way to fail.

Well, I think its reasonable to assume that approximately half of those 454,731 people are inbred--and they should only count as half a person. So all things considered, the populations are actually quite similar.

Rochester>Omaha.


In all seriousness, the entire state of Nebraska seems to go unnoticed. It's the one state I literally know NOTHING about. I've never met anyone who has ever even been there--and I have lived in many states. It's as if it doesn't exist. I once saw a 'Visit Nebraska' infomercial on TV and it looked BEAUTIFUL--probably one of the most naturally beautiful looking places i've seen in the US. I wonder if this is really good marketing or Nebraska is a hidden gem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2010, 06:52 AM
 
Location: Rochester NY (western NY)
1,021 posts, read 1,611,990 times
Reputation: 2311
I once drove through the entire state, west to east, and I hate my life the entire time. Iowa was a close 2nd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2010, 08:38 AM
 
122 posts, read 294,174 times
Reputation: 36
Hi MARMOM, my husband is in corporate finance (nonbanking). I have never been to NE Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2010, 08:41 AM
 
122 posts, read 294,174 times
Reputation: 36
sorry Marmom,-my computer sennt before I finished my point___never been to NE but my vote would be NY...partial to family close by and there is a particular "soul" to WNY that you cannot find anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2010, 09:00 AM
 
1,072 posts, read 2,309,370 times
Reputation: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennySzymanski View Post
sorry Marmom,-my computer sennt before I finished my point___never been to NE but my vote would be NY...partial to family close by and there is a particular "soul" to WNY that you cannot find anywhere.
Thanks for the input Penny! People from WNY are certainly passionate about where they live, and that says a lot about the area. Good luck to you and your family too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2010, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Buffalo
200 posts, read 529,864 times
Reputation: 219
I spent a little time in Omaha & have been in Rochester the last 10 years - the art & music scenes are comparable, both cities have fine museums, Rochester is larger (though negligably),but once you leave the Omaha / Lincoln Area, there isn't a lot to do except look at the flat land. On the other hand, should you want to get out of Rochester, it is within 5 hours by car of some of the greatest cities in the world (NY, TO, Boston), some of the greatest natural wonders in the world (Adirondack Mts, Niagara Falls, Finger Lakes) as well as the Erie Canal, and one of the best wine producing areas in the country (Finger Lakes - great rieslings). Although I enjoyed my time in Omaha (it's a hip city, no doubt) I would recommend Rochester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2010, 02:06 PM
 
1,072 posts, read 2,309,370 times
Reputation: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron4040 View Post
I spent a little time in Omaha & have been in Rochester the last 10 years - the art & music scenes are comparable, both cities have fine museums, Rochester is larger (though negligably),but once you leave the Omaha / Lincoln Area, there isn't a lot to do except look at the flat land. On the other hand, should you want to get out of Rochester, it is within 5 hours by car of some of the greatest cities in the world (NY, TO, Boston), some of the greatest natural wonders in the world (Adirondack Mts, Niagara Falls, Finger Lakes) as well as the Erie Canal, and one of the best wine producing areas in the country (Finger Lakes - great rieslings). Although I enjoyed my time in Omaha (it's a hip city, no doubt) I would recommend Rochester.
Thanks Aaron!!! Very helpful . Take care...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2010, 07:34 PM
 
5,849 posts, read 14,017,243 times
Reputation: 3460
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
I once drove through the entire state, west to east, and I hate my life the entire time. Iowa was a close 2nd.
On I-80, I'll bet. That's a brutally bring stretch, but it is hardly the "entire state". It would be like driving past Roch on the Thruway and judging the whole city by that. Gotta get off the Interstates if you want to see anything interetsing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2010, 05:57 AM
 
1,500 posts, read 1,327,097 times
Reputation: 2253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
On I-80, I'll bet. That's a brutally bring stretch, but it is hardly the "entire state". It would be like driving past Roch on the Thruway and judging the whole city by that. Gotta get off the Interstates if you want to see anything interetsing.
I-80 goes right through the center of Ohmaha, while I-90 is about 12 miles south of Rochester, barely even entering Monroe county. But it does look on a map that after Lincoln, it's pretty open space. I do agree though, you can't tell a city/ region by just passinfg through. I'd say you probably would need to spend a week to explore most of the neighborhoods and suburbs to get a good feel for the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:49 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top