U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 01:46 AM

213 posts, read 726,316 times

Advertisements

Or take Winton right up to 590......I used to get from Empire/Winton to Henrietta in 15 minutes tops.....Only traffic to worry about from Brighton is at the 12 corners. And that is only 2-3 stop lights. Plus you can get to 590 from multiple exits in Brightojn..(Highland, Browncroft, Monroe are the main ones that come to mind) 8am/5pm rush hour North of the 490/590 interchange is pretty bad, but if you can bypass that by going to Highland and on to 590S you'll make up lots of time.

From Henrietta you can get to Canandagua in a half hour.. From Victor I'd say it's more like 20 minutes depending on where your at in Victor.

If you want a bit more space go with Victor. If you want a more trendy feel definitely go with Brighton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 07:00 AM

93 posts, read 198,008 times
Coming from south Florida, you may want to consider the snow and winter driving as a factor. Commuting to work is only one consideration, and the Rochester metro has great infrastructure relative to population so that traffic is generally not bad compared to other metros in the US. Brighton puts you near the heart of the Rochester metro area, so that you can get to about anywhere from there conveniently all year around. Victor is on the outskirts of the metro area so that traveling to the city from there could become a hassle. Just a thought . . .

Old 07-31-2010, 08:37 PM

31 posts, read 67,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You mean that Victor only takes a half hour to Henrietta, but adjacent Brighton would take a half hour too? I know the traffic can get nutty in Henrietta, as I go that way to get to my sister's home in Chili, but is it that bad?

Depending on the time of the day I have spent a long time sitting in traffic on Jefferson. I always try to avoid Jefferson whenever possible. It also seems like they are always doing some type of construction. This is just my experience as we have friend in Henrietta and travel there frequently. Some days it is super quick, but not always.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:05 AM

213 posts, read 726,316 times
Definitely avoid Jefferson at luchtime. Specifically around E. Henrietta Rd- W. Henrietta Rd. and the Mall at Hylan Dr. That whole corridor is pretty bad.

You can get through the Winton/Jefferson area pretty easily.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:08 AM

5,384 posts, read 9,777,240 times
I lived in Brighton when I first got married (near 12 corners off Elmwood). My husband worked in Henrietta and he could ride his bike if he wanted. It took him about 5 minutes to get to work by car from 12 corners. It was not a tough commute at all. He misses it since we moved.....

Brighton will give you more of a "city" feel than Victor. Victor has the cute small village feel along with the country outskirts. It is laid back and you will need to drive to everything. You would be close to I90 and Eastview Mall.... Canandaigua is only a short drive- great times to be had at the Lake and nice restaurants and some cute shops.

Brighton is a great walking suburb. You have a ton of restaurants and stores and not far at all from anything. I do miss that. I would be anywhere in Rochester in about 15 minutes. It was great. DH and I used to walk to Park Ave from our house on a regular basis for dinner or a late breakfast.... or just to get out. Cobbs Hill Park and Highland Park are also in walking distance. We would even walk to Pittsford Plaza on nice days.

Brighton is def. more congested than Victor. I found I became frustrated with the traffic when I lived there. Depending on where you live in Brighton, you are also on top of your neighbors with more of a city sized lot. Many of the Brighton homes have smaller yards. Coming from Fairport on a real Suburban lot I had a tough time with this.

Both schools are great. I did my student teaching in Victor and I have to say I would have been VERY happy working there as well as send my children there. Brighton is a top ranked school Nationally and is great with the AP stuff..... Both schools are a win:win.....

It all really comes down to commute time (and I would put Victor closer to 35-40 min- esp in winter Nov to Apr). And what kind of environment - Country Village or City Suburb.... I love them both for different reasons..... but I am more of a suburban girl than city girl..... that is why I moved away from Brighton..... but it was a great place to be when we were w/o kids!

I would also like to suggest- if you are interested in VICTOR you might want to check out Pittsford/Mendon which would provide you with a better commute time to Henrietta along with amazing schools and an even better Village with more to do.

Last edited by skbs; 08-01-2010 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: TO ADD INFO ABOUT PITTSFORD

Old 08-02-2010, 12:52 AM

3 posts, read 4,472 times
Have you considered Pittsford? Your husband will be closer to work than Victor. You'll find newer homes than Brighton, your taxes will be lower than Brighton. If you visit, check out the amenities in the Pittsford Plaza area on Monroe Ave. They have the best supermarket in the area (seriously, check out the supermarket), some nice shopping, and a lot of restaurant choices. Imho, Brighton and Pittsford schools are better than Victor. Depending on the neighborhood, you'll still only be 20min from the nice mall in Victor. Good luck!

Old 08-16-2010, 07:53 PM

8 posts, read 13,227 times
Brighton has the convenience if being close to the city, and very good schools.
One of the nicer things is Cobbs Hill park is right there on the border of roch.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:09 AM

60 posts, read 168,281 times
A couple of considerations that I haven't seen mentioned are the fact that taxes in Ontario county (Victor) are a bit less than anywhere in Monroe county. Also, Victor is close to Canandaigua and the Finger Lakes area. Lots to do and see in that area.

I do agree with others' comments about the commute though. You may want to rent first, get through a winter, and see how it goes. If you and your hubby haven't driven in snow before, you'll need to acquire those driving skills. I hope you have all wheel drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area