Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 06:54 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Every friend and extended family member of mine who left the Rochester area within the last 25 years is doing great, where they live. Skills sets and social skills go a long way in metros that are stable and growing. Rochester is neither stable nor growing.

A lot of the folks "left behind" in Rochester are miserable, broke, and often times hooked on various narcotics/drugs. I worked for a few, and around many, in my work career there. Quite frankly what a lot of businesses there in Rochester put up with, or even enable, doesn't fly in ofher places. So many skilled people have left that area that some of the few decent businesses there can't find good help. That fact, coupled with a massive welfare class in the region, will be a huge drag on Rochester as more Boomers retire.
a lot of folks "left behind" are doing fantastic with great careers and enjoying life in Rochester. Especially those like myself who left Rochester lived in other cities, and hated how cold and unfriendly they were. It's probably all the transplants that move to these cities. Especially in the south. I think the worst of Rochester and other northern cities tend to move south. NYC gets a rap as a rude city. You know who is rude in NYC? All the transplants. You can tell a native NYC'er because they are generally very friendly and helpful. The same thing with cities I've lived in and visited. In the south especially. You can always tell the transplants. They are the worst of NY exports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
You'd have to be more specific than that. However, there are thousands of job openings locally. Maybe just not in your field, I guess. A lot of people get jobs by word of mouth. Try to find out where people of your trade hang out and get to know them.
I know the company I work with currently has 83 openings here in Rochester in all sorts of different job classes and experience.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:54 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
LIKE:
It's a generally bike friendly city
Great choice of restaurants
Lots of character and charm in terms of . architecture
The climate during fall
The beautiful cemeteries and parks with trails
It's proximity to Canada
Accepting of LGBTQ people

DISLIKE:
The racial and economic segregation creating '2 Rochesters', neither of which I seem to fit into
The climate except for fall (summers are too hot and humid, winters are too snowy although I can handle the cold just fine)
Difficult to make friends if you're an outsider or of college student age
Rampant drug abuse in certain areas
Lack of opportunities
Within the city, I'd say that the NE Quadrant is the most integrated, with outer parts of the NW(Maplewood/southern Charlotte) and SW Quadrants(outer parts of the 19th Ward) and even inner parts of the SE Quadrant(South Wedge) having a decent mix. In the suburbs, parts of Irondequoit, Chili, Gates, Greece, Brighton and Henrietta can have visible racial diversity. So, some of this is a matter of knowing where to look for such areas.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:38 AM

1,180 posts, read 983,115 times
I was just in Rochester for work for the past week and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. My favorite thing was lake Ontario. Living in Atlanta, I forget how nice a large lake or even a developed river near town can be. Great bars, great food, and friendly people. The waterfall downtown was amazing! Loved all the trails around city as well. I had few friends there and from what the say, the city is very affordable. The airport was easy to navigate.

Old 08-28-2018, 04:53 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
I was just in Rochester for work for the past week and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. My favorite thing was lake Ontario. Living in Atlanta, I forget how nice a large lake or even a developed river near town can be. Great bars, great food, and friendly people. The waterfall downtown was amazing! Loved all the trails around city as well. I had few friends there and from what the say, the city is very affordable. The airport was easy to navigate.
Glad to hear that you enjoyed your time in the city/area.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:55 PM

88 posts, read 91,061 times
To eats it’s own- Rochester is a dull boring place with a black cloud! The taxes are redicous! The parks are just a mess unless you going on a bike trail.�� The crime rate and shootings are weekly, bars and clubs for at least mixed to black population do not last due to violence. The zoo is not a zoo compared to Buffalo or Syracuse. The beach Charlotte is dirty- sand you will step on glass, diapers, the water not great. The best thing is the pier. Winter is brisk! City schools are wack.
On positive lots of restaurants, you get all 4 seasons, festivals, parades, the malls maybe..Suburbs schools depends where you live is great. Many bars for all ethics.
You definitely would need to visit before living that’s for sure!

Old 09-01-2018, 12:04 PM

854 posts, read 520,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nulook View Post
To eats it’s own- Rochester is a dull boring place with a black cloud! The taxes are redicous! The parks are just a mess unless you going on a bike trail.�� The crime rate and shootings are weekly, bars and clubs for at least mixed to black population do not last due to violence. The zoo is not a zoo compared to Buffalo or Syracuse. The beach Charlotte is dirty- sand you will step on glass, diapers, the water not great. The best thing is the pier. Winter is brisk! City schools are wack.
On positive lots of restaurants, you get all 4 seasons, festivals, parades, the malls maybe..Suburbs schools depends where you live is great. Many bars for all ethics.
You definitely would need to visit before living that’s for sure!
The parks are a mess? You must have the wrong Rochester then.. There are some beautiful parks here !

Old 09-02-2018, 09:57 PM

Name the park you are referring to? Are you referring to a park in suburbs? If so there some a few that maybe more clean and updated. But no I am talking about Rochester, NY

Old 09-02-2018, 10:04 PM

Again everyone perception is different- my intake maybe different. I just feel like people need to know truth about most parts in Rochester.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nulook View Post
Name the park you are referring to? Are you referring to a park in suburbs? If so there some a few that maybe more clean and updated. But no I am talking about Rochester, NY
What? First of all, it's not "some" parks in the suburbs that are clean and amazing. It's most of them. And secondly, the city of Rochester also has amazing parks as well. Including the world class Highland Park. Have you been there? It's one of the most beautiful parks in the world.

How about Cobb's Hill Park? Another amazing park.

Genesee Valley Park? Another beautiful park.

Pictures of Highland Park
https://www.google.com/search?q=high...w=1440&bih=819
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area