U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-30-2010, 03:10 PM
 
707 posts, read 1,294,187 times
Reputation: 361

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
Really? I am curious, what does your Fiance' do?
We are from Rochester (Webster) and have been away now for many years, always looking to come back.
My husband has an MBA, is an Engineer, he can't find a job in Rochester to save his life.
His headhunters laugh at him when he calls and says "hey, can you just look again for us?".
I am terribly homesick and would LOVE to come home, we had an "almost" opportunity a few years ago, but they wanted to pay him almost $40K less than he makes now and although the cost of living in Rochester is much lower than where we live now, no one wants to take a pay cut like that. Even to come home.

My husband has almost 20 years experience as an Engineer,went to RIT and could pretty much name his salary here in the Pharm industry. Rochester can't touch it.....
So, who is calling your Fiance' ?


He is a Software Analyst. Hes gotten calls from Paychex, Frontier, Wegmans, Mindex Technologies and Kodak. Hes fresh out of college but he went to college in Amsterdam recieved a BSAS in Information Technology, Interned with IBM and is now continuing on at University of South Florida in Tampa for a minor in Computer Forensics. Hes fluent in 6 languages so that helps him also. I believe hes going to take the Wegmans offer because it offered the most benefits and more pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-30-2010, 06:08 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
1,820 posts, read 4,000,126 times
Reputation: 1903
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
He is a Software Analyst. Hes gotten calls from Paychex, Frontier, Wegmans, Mindex Technologies and Kodak. Hes fresh out of college but he went to college in Amsterdam recieved a BSAS in Information Technology, Interned with IBM and is now continuing on at University of South Florida in Tampa for a minor in Computer Forensics. Hes fluent in 6 languages so that helps him also. I believe hes going to take the Wegmans offer because it offered the most benefits and more pay.
Ahhh that's why.... Computers.... wish my husband had taken that route, but in our mid 40's to change careers now when we can find good paying jobs elsewhere, isn't worth it...
That 's great for your husband though!
Good Luck to him!
We miss Wegman's that is for sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2010, 02:19 PM
 
4,574 posts, read 7,059,483 times
Reputation: 4222
that's one thing I've never understood about Rochester job market. Now, I live in SoCal so we're told we get paid some "sunshine dollars" which I can understand to some degree, but it is very expensive here so they can only justify that so far.

But you'd think that the less desirable a place to live (including places like Rochester), the salaries would be higher to get good people and keep them. Sorry, don't mean to insult anyone to lives there, but the fact is that western NY state is not among the most desirable places to live, at least it is perceived not to be. I mean, there are plenty of places that have long winters but yet attract people to jobs and pay them well (Boston area for example). I wanted to move back a few times but it made no sense to cut my salary in half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2010, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
1,283 posts, read 2,657,593 times
Reputation: 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
But you'd think that the less desirable a place to live (including places like Rochester), the salaries would be higher to get good people and keep them. Sorry, don't mean to insult anyone to lives there, but the fact is that western NY state is not among the most desirable places to live, at least it is perceived not to be. I mean, there are plenty of places that have long winters but yet attract people to jobs and pay them well (Boston area for example). I wanted to move back a few times but it made no sense to cut my salary in half.
Minneapolis/St. Paul kinda fits into that, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2010, 05:05 PM
 
3,234 posts, read 7,630,288 times
Reputation: 2694
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
that's one thing I've never understood about Rochester job market. Now, I live in SoCal so we're told we get paid some "sunshine dollars" which I can understand to some degree, but it is very expensive here so they can only justify that so far.

But you'd think that the less desirable a place to live (including places like Rochester), the salaries would be higher to get good people and keep them. Sorry, don't mean to insult anyone to lives there, but the fact is that western NY state is not among the most desirable places to live, at least it is perceived not to be. I mean, there are plenty of places that have long winters but yet attract people to jobs and pay them well (Boston area for example). I wanted to move back a few times but it made no sense to cut my salary in half.

Attracting people is not the problem. There is more than enough talent in the area. More talent than the amount of jobs. Attracting the jobs is the problem. A place like Boston has the jobs to attract people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2010, 06:35 PM
 
531 posts, read 978,273 times
Reputation: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Attracting people is not the problem. There is more than enough talent in the area. More talent than the amount of jobs. Attracting the jobs is the problem. A place like Boston has the jobs to attract people.

i agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2010, 07:07 AM
 
56,614 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Reputation: 12507
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Attracting people is not the problem. There is more than enough talent in the area. More talent than the amount of jobs. Attracting the jobs is the problem. A place like Boston has the jobs to attract people.
That's why I feel that the colleges in the area should put their heads together and to help create jobs in terms of research and in other areas like the Research Triangle in NC has done. It's not like there aren't plenty of colleges in the area that could be used to help the economy in other ways. Some might say that schools like U of R and RIT aren't like Duke or say Harvard, but they are still good colleges that could help to create more jobs in the area. I wouldn't even count out the input from the other colleges in the area as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2010, 07:10 AM
 
56,614 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Reputation: 12507
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
that's one thing I've never understood about Rochester job market. Now, I live in SoCal so we're told we get paid some "sunshine dollars" which I can understand to some degree, but it is very expensive here so they can only justify that so far.

But you'd think that the less desirable a place to live (including places like Rochester), the salaries would be higher to get good people and keep them. Sorry, don't mean to insult anyone to lives there, but the fact is that western NY state is not among the most desirable places to live, at least it is perceived not to be. I mean, there are plenty of places that have long winters but yet attract people to jobs and pay them well (Boston area for example). I wanted to move back a few times but it made no sense to cut my salary in half.
but the cost of living is much lower too. That's not to say that the wages shouldn't be higher, but I think that some of the current wages have to do with the cost of living in the area. It's not like you have to buy a house that costs half a million dollars to find something nice. So, I'm assuming that's why the wages are lower.

The area job market has something to do with this as well, to some degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2010, 07:51 AM
 
3,234 posts, read 7,630,288 times
Reputation: 2694
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That's why I feel that the colleges in the area should put their heads together and to help create jobs in terms of research and in other areas like the Research Triangle in NC has done. It's not like there aren't plenty of colleges in the area that could be used to help the economy in other ways. Some might say that schools like U of R and RIT aren't like Duke or say Harvard, but they are still good colleges that could help to create more jobs in the area. I wouldn't even count out the input from the other colleges in the area as well.
U of R has done this on a small scale but much more needs to be done. The laser lab provides many high paying research jobs but we need more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2010, 08:50 AM
 
1,510 posts, read 1,338,761 times
Reputation: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That's why I feel that the colleges in the area should put their heads together and to help create jobs in terms of research and in other areas like the Research Triangle in NC has done. It's not like there aren't plenty of colleges in the area that could be used to help the economy in other ways. Some might say that schools like U of R and RIT aren't like Duke or say Harvard, but they are still good colleges that could help to create more jobs in the area. I wouldn't even count out the input from the other colleges in the area as well.
UR has been doing this for years and has produced a number of companies. Unfortunately, the most successful, Praxis (something) was bought by a large pharmacutical and moved out of town. RIT is agressively getting into the research business too. We have a couple of incubaters. Kodak, Xerox and B+L all have large R&D operations. Rochester is the largest producer of patents per capita nationwide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top