U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2010, 08:03 AM

56,543 posts, read 80,847,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I moved to SC from the Albany area and you have no idea what we would give to have grass! I live 3 hours from the beach and our entire development is sand. Most of our county has sand and not red dirt. Not sure which is worse at this point.

Grass doesn't grow in sand especially when there's a drought. There's one EVERY year!

The only rocks here are the ones the developer brought in for our foundations.

No hills really either. Pretty flat here.

And water REALLY is AMAZING when you have NONE! Our water bill is very high here. There are no pools even though it's 95+ all summer. I live at least an our away from any body of water. The closest one is a manmade lake with a nuclear power plant on it.....not exactly Skaneateles Lake!

Things didn't seem so different when we would visit. We figured the little things would just disappear, but you never know what will strike out you when you least expect. My husband actually misses mowing the lawn. We could at least be outside!

It's been in the 90's for over 6 months. You're a prisoner to the a/c. This is actually much worse than the bitter cold up there. Winter is not 6 months long. There was a 3 week stretch wehre it was over 100 every day and then there were numerous other days of that horrid heat. Don't forget about the humidity here.

One day our genius weatherman said a cold front was moving on through. It went from 95 on a Sunday to 89 the next day. Yeah that's a cold front here!

Don't knock where you live. You and many others think the grass is greener on the other side. You read about how cheap the COL is. There's more to life than money. You definitely DO get what you pay for! We've been here 6 1/2 months and are counting down until we can move back to New York. We're not going back to Albany. We're going to the Finger Lakes which was our first choice of places to move to. Hindsight is 20/20.
You are not kidding either. To put what you said into perspective, when I was doing Basic Training at Fort Jackson SC, during the last week, the temp. was around 100 every day. They made us(yes, the U.S. Army), roll up our sleeves and pants so we wouldn't have heat exhaustion. When we would dig foxholes, they let us actually take our BDU shirts off.

Also, the COL thing is actually a misnomer too. For instance, I found out that on this same site that Syracuse and Greensboro NC have the same ranking in terms of COL. So, even the COL thing in a general sense is overstated. It's just that states get you in different ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 11:52 AM

26,346 posts, read 82,977,020 times
One of the best things about Rochester is the four seasons.

Look what we're stuck with today.

Heat wave: Record-high temperatures expected - latimes.com

Old 12-12-2010, 12:24 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,616,205 times
Awww, you haver to deal with 70's and 80's and sunshine? YOU POOR THING!!!!

You're right, it's much nicer looking out my window and seeing filthy snow, dead trees, and gray skies.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:12 AM

56,543 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Awww, you haver to deal with 70's and 80's and sunshine? YOU POOR THING!!!!

You're right, it's much nicer looking out my window and seeing filthy snow, dead trees, and gray skies.
Looks like someone needs their Vitamin C. I think the poster is saying that the 4 seasons allows you to explore or do various things. It's probably tough to do anything in terms of Winter sports, for example.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:29 PM

5,311 posts, read 5,328,925 times
Wow, there's some very interesting content in this thread. Having lived in the area for 27 years and now having lived in VA for 4 years, I can see both sides of the fence.

What I do like:
Food - very good food...it's surprising how many places in the US don't have food this good. However, I feel the food in Rochester is good for European types of food. There are some good Asian places, but I feel those are a bit lacking.

People - Rochester has some great people. The environment there is very down-to-Earth.

Summers - I love summers in Rochester for the most part. My only complaint is that important outdoor weekends always seemed to be rainy (but that could just be my luck).

Hockey - I miss living in a hockey community. The abundance of hockey was a big part of my youth.

Schools/Universities - I think that for such a small city, Rochester has some great schools and universities. Between SUNY, RIT, UofR and others such as Nazareth and St. John Fisher, Rochester has some great organizations.

Canal Towns - When you grow up in one, you think the whole world has them. I love Spencerport, Fairport, Brockport, Penfield, etc. Very quaint, great shops and restaurants, etc. I also like that this is a place that I could escape the big box establishments that seem to rule Greece, Henrietta, etc.

What I don't like:
Economy - I think this has been discussed enough, but as a career person, I want to have a number of places to work as options (also as a way of improving my skill-sets). There wasn't a great scene for my career in Rochester.

Downtown - I love vibrant, dense downtowns. I find it sad that Rochester's downtown has went in the wrong direction.

Winter - I hate winter in Rochester. Subjective, but I just can't stand all the snow. By getting away from so much of it, I've increased my tolerance of the snow!

Public Transportation - I strive to live in a city where I don't need a car anymore (which is why we're moving to Philly), and Rochester just can't provide that for me. I hate all the construction on the interstates in the non-winter months, and I always hated the winter driving on the interstates as well.

Ocean Access - I've always loved the Ocean, and could never find love for Lake Ontario. I've fished on it for decades, went to its beaches, and it's just not the same. I hated the beaches on Lake Ontario, the water was always so full of seaweed, etc.

Proximity to Other Places - I think it's a pro for Rochester to be close to Toronto and Buffalo, but that's it. For flying, I always hated having to catch connections to everywhere that isn't a hub.

I think Rochester's a nice city, but having moved away, I'll never go back. I like less snowy climates and big, thriving cities too much. However, it's always a comfort to go back for the holidays.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:39 PM

20 posts, read 35,688 times
Like:

- Friendly, helpful people, especially on the west side
- Cheap rents... believe me, you can't get much cheaper
- Interesting houses in the city, even if most are chopped into apartments
- Summer weather gets hot sometimes, but on the whole it's really great
- The Erie Canal

Dislike:

- When people are too friendly, and even cashiers seem to be in on my personal business too much
- Everything good is in the suburbs, so there's no "center" that's easy to get to and just hang
- Hoods downtown who are always trying to hustle
- Our local "cuisine" looks the same going down as it does coming back up, and is called "garbage"
- Editorials to the D&C about expensive FAIL that Rochester should invest in next
- Rochester springs

Kill it with Fire:

- The RGRTA
- Rochester City School District
- Snobs in the east suburbs, especially Victor and Pittsford *UGH*
- Whatever is going on with the old Midtown site
- ROCHESTER WINTERS

Old 12-16-2010, 09:16 PM

427 posts, read 452,039 times
I must say, not a whole lot that I liked about Rochester. Guess that's why I escaped.
Attached Thumbnails
What do and don't you like about living in Rochester?-tree_24.gif  

Old 01-10-2011, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 4,696 times
HI, I was born in Rochester, 1948. Lived in the city most of my life and in the burbs about 15yrs. I moved back to the city 2001. It's got its ups and downs. There is a lot of culture to be enjoyed here. We have the Eastman school of Music, museums, theatres, etc. Home of the Rochester School of the Deaf, NTID, RIT, Uof R, and many more colleges. I worked in the city school system for 25 yrs and I think it has a lot to offer. We have many private schools, as well. Our public market is so diverse. Restaurants of all cultures are sprinkled throughout our city. Many festivals throughout the year. Lake Ontario is home to the boating interest private and commercial. Finger Lakes region is also a large wine producing area. There are still investment interest here. Home of Wegman's supermarkets is a major draw, also. We have our share of snow. Therefore, there is activities for the snow enthusiast. Much to do for all ages and all ranges of abilities. We have problems like anyone else and I feel that all departments are working to remedy the problems.
There are sections of town that should be avoided and some who need caution. I feel that we have a lot to offer. Can you tell I am proud to be a Rochesterian?

Old 01-11-2011, 11:28 AM

205 posts, read 403,328 times
LIKE:

* Restaurants
* Free music
* Friendly people
* Historic neighborhoods
* Plenty of fun things for my kids to do
* 'Down-to-earthness'
* Walkability

DON'T LIKE

* Midtown
* Concerns about crime (but I think they may be overblown)
* Public transportation
* Negativity about the city (It's a real downer ;-) -- Wait, I think that's circular logic ???

Last edited by purdue512; 01-11-2011 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 01-11-2011, 01:12 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,616,205 times
I like that because nobody wants to live here anymore and nobody can find any jobs, that my daily commute is light since there are fewer people on the road. Thanks Rochester for keeping unemployment high, way to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area