U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 07:54 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,612,231 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I thought about that as I was typing it lol. I guess that powder blue for the Tar Heels is the true Carolina blue. So I'll change my statement to "I wouldn't really fare well sporting Panthers blue " I shoulda known better lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 09:14 PM

707 posts, read 1,292,084 times
we moved back two weeks ago. My fiance who grew up in the south loves it and his family recently helped move us in and they want to move here in the next two years.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:20 AM

205 posts, read 402,507 times
Welcome back to Rochester!

My move back has been awesome. Family is happy. Quality of life is great. People have been really friendly. No regrets at all!

Old 03-02-2011, 08:17 PM

24 posts, read 40,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Pros:

Plenty of fresh water for folks to recreate.
A drought in NY is a joke, usually, compared with other places.
4 distinct seasons.
Good restaurants in parts of town.
Things for kids to do (Rochester is a pretty good place for families).
More outdoor stuff to do than you can shake a stick at, all over the county and beyond. Too many people in Rochester have never been to places like the Adirondacks, Letchworth, and other nice places in Upstate.
Close enough to a few other cities for getaways, even Buffalo is a cool place to explore, and it's a place with nice people.
The outlying counties are close enough, and commute times are reasonable enough to where folks can live in the surrounding counties.
Great for cross-country skiers, in fact the trails system in Monroe County is second to none.
Great parks in general.

Cons:

Weather's too cruddy for people to enjoy the outdoors for months on end, some years. Winter could be a drag for people who could care less about downhill skiing/consider it too expensive, and the same for snowmobiling.
Sometimes one of the only things to do on a cold, blustery Friday night is to brave the weather and go see a hockey game, if one is sick of being couped up in the house.

A poor job market, most years. The vast majority of jobs created in Rochester in the last 10 years have been "health care" and "education" jobs, in fact the metro is heavily dependent upon heavily subsidized colleges and two universities, now, plus the various health organizations.

Rochester has the highest health costs in the nation.

Rochester has an inordinate number of redundant non-profits which employ an inordinate number of people.

Rochester also has a lot of "idle rich", people who made big bucks through the years in manufacturing, old money, and stockholders who minded their stocks well through the years. The biggest downside to this are an inordinate number of busybodies and shake down artists, many of whom write all too often into the awful excuse Rochester has for a newspaper.

Not much in the way of long-term job prospects for many in the private sector, or even entry-level jobs for folks coming out of school. I was a "non-traditional" student, and already had experience in manufacturing so the latter doesn't apply to me, however long-term didn't look good, either, in fact I'd argue Rochester folks seem perfectly fine with having the same job for years, 'til they get laid off (private-sector folks), are fired, or die prematurely. Not much moving up within a company, in fact not much movement in any direction.

Too much inbreeding in local companies, to include immediate family, in-laws, extended family, step-whatevers, some buddy of theirs from high school or some college, etc., etc., etc. Rochester people love to name-drop and ask weird questions about where people "grew up", etc. Very uncomfortable for productive people who would rather be left alone and stay anonymous.

Rochester still has a reputation for having lots of people with smug attitudes.

Rochester companies, desperate for help in decent/good times, will often times accept any under-educated, inexperienced, unqualified person who happens to fall in the door, since many companies can't get qualified help around town, nor can they convince anyone to move to Rochester, NY. So, one can end up working around woefully unqualified people, or even, in some cases, over-educated but unqualified people. The above about hiring practices applies here, too.

Unions, unions, unions. NY is the only state which has more union folks as a % of the workforce than in 1990. Unions are a huge drag on the economy, and make Rochester less competitive than other similarly-sized metros. Sad, considering all the great people and talent, there. Why a white-collar "professional" needs a union I'll never know. The heavy union influence affects politics, building costs, and property taxes. Union folks are generally "group-think" types who can't see reality beyond the ends of their eyelids.

Taxes. Rochester has the highest property taxes, as a % of home value, than any other metro I'm aware of. This drives middle-income and even higher-income earners away, and keeps others away who might otherwise want to move to the metro. It also hurts businesses, drives businesses away, and discourages companies from investing in the 6 county area. Combine that with state income taxes, plus high fees, taxes on all manner of civil/government transactions, and it can be a very expensive place to live for some folks.

The city. Rochester's downtown is an empty shell, for the most part, and the inept political leadership in the city has neglected downtown for decades. Rochester, like other dying cities, has tried schemes which have only saddled the taxpayers with awful municipal debt (Hyatt (the city put a loan guarantee on it to finish what was Rochester's Ryugyong Hotel), fast ferry, soccer stadium, and now a loan guarantee for an HQ for a company with a poor track record and poor business model, in a tough industry; and the awful disaster High Falls turned out to be). Too many in Rochester are into "flavor of the week" schemes to gloss over the obvious; a dying city, with a stagnant metro that has serious, underlying problems, within a region which has been on the decline for 40+ years.

Roughly half of the rest of the city is a disaster, with neighborhoods that were decent or nice 15 years ago having turned into ghettos. No clear, coherent plan has been developed to deal with these major issues which have caused the city's tax base to erode by $700M in just 20 years. Down here, people desire to live in the city.

Too many school districts and other fiefdoms set up by government.

Too many government workers, law enforcement, and people who desire to work for the government/law enforcement/school districts because they know the union will be able to ensure they have a job.
Well said. Good breakdown and explanations of the "cons."

Old 07-21-2011, 06:06 PM

6 posts, read 10,310 times
Plain and simple rochester is horrible place to live and be theres none here its way to small here alot bum simple minded people here that have no outlook of life damn shame foreal

Old 07-21-2011, 06:11 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,723,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV188 View Post
Plain and simple rochester is horrible place to live and be theres none here its way to small here alot bum simple minded people here that have no outlook of life damn shame foreal
What? Hard to take that statement serious when it's not even a thought.

No one said Rochester was perfect and full of rainbows, hearts, puppy dog kisses, and unicorns. Every place has it's problems.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:32 AM

1,030 posts, read 2,768,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
In this thread: Apartment Help!!

If you want to move to Atlanta, or anywhere else in the country that's great for you if you do it; but if you are going to claim unemployment here is so high that it makes it a bad place to live, might want to check out the unemployment rates for the areas you are looking to relocate to that you thing are just so much better than here.
ouch.....there's no hiding from facts

Old 07-24-2011, 10:44 PM

9 posts, read 14,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV188 View Post
If this guy grew up Rochester, then I guess I have to agree with him, because the schools here must blow for him to right that sentence.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:52 PM

466 posts, read 826,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebop2 View Post
If this guy grew up Rochester, then I guess I have to agree with him, because the schools here must blow for him to right that sentence.
You must have attended them yourself, then.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:32 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,723,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
You must have attended them yourself, then.
You stole the words out of my mouth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area