U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-14-2015, 08:31 PM
 
Location: Mt. Airy
5,311 posts, read 5,341,270 times
Reputation: 3562

Advertisements

I think it's a matter of perspective and preference. For somebody coming from NYC, I can see why they might feel Rochester's offerings come up short. And for those who like to be surrounded by a large urban area with options abound, they may also feel the same. It's no grind on rochester, as it's just preference and opinion. And I don't think the "if you look, you can find things to do" argument is valid. You could say the same thing about anyplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-14-2015, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Rochester, NY
466 posts, read 830,166 times
Reputation: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan212 View Post
Likes:
Wegmans
Finger Lakes
Garbage Plates
Good suburban public schools
Ok private golf courses

Dislikes:
Very boring place to live after you've lived there awhile
Too many Republicans
No professional sport teams
Small city
Weather (I hate the winters and the summers, winters are too cold, summers are too humid)
No major ski resorts nearby
Can't even step outside without freezing
No reason to visit Rochester except if you have family
Top 5 in crime
Marijuana is not legal



Moved here from NYC, will be moving in 2 years once I graduate high school to Southern California.
This post is, obviously, beyond ridiculous. Obviously you have a lot of growing up to do. Leave it up to the adults to let you in on that.

But I'm curious, how in the world is there nothing to do here? What is your idea of things to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2015, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in America
12,304 posts, read 10,788,201 times
Reputation: 20542
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I think it's a matter of perspective and preference. For somebody coming from NYC, I can see why they might feel Rochester's offerings come up short. And for those who like to be surrounded by a large urban area with options abound, they may also feel the same. It's no grind on rochester, as it's just preference and opinion. And I don't think the "if you look, you can find things to do" argument is valid. You could say the same thing about anyplace.
I wasn't speaking about anyone from NYC. I was speaking in general. If you're on here more than an hour, you'll see people complaining there's nothing to do here. Funny thing is you'll see that on many forums. I love when people say there's nothing to do in Charlotte, NC or Atlanta, GA. People want entertainment to come to them. They don't want to have to do anything for the entertainment. And god forbid they can't use their stupid phone for 18 seconds!

Sorry, but if people spent their time looking for things going on around them instead of complaining there's nothing to do, then they would actually find something to do. It's easier for many people to complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 07:04 AM
 
Location: Mt. Airy
5,311 posts, read 5,341,270 times
Reputation: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I wasn't speaking about anyone from NYC. I was speaking in general. If you're on here more than an hour, you'll see people complaining there's nothing to do here. Funny thing is you'll see that on many forums. I love when people say there's nothing to do in Charlotte, NC or Atlanta, GA. People want entertainment to come to them. They don't want to have to do anything for the entertainment. And god forbid they can't use their stupid phone for 18 seconds!
Well, you did make your statement after YankeesFan said Rochester was boring, and they were from NYC, so that's why I used it as an example. While I agree with you about peoples' phones, I'm not sure how that plays into this discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Sorry, but if people spent their time looking for things going on around them instead of complaining there's nothing to do, then they would actually find something to do. It's easier for many people to complain.
True, but there are factors to consider. Not everyone is comfortable doing just anything they can find. Plus, there are considerations around how far someone has to travel to an event/activity. I know as a teenager, I lived about 20 mins from downtown and I was bored frequently. Could I have found something to do across the entire metro? Sure, but I would have had to drive 20+ miles one way (add the winter weather in and it was more difficult). Plus, how many times can you go to the same place/event?

That being said, I agree that some will complain no matter where they are, but that doesn't invalidate every single person who says they find a place boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in America
12,304 posts, read 10,788,201 times
Reputation: 20542
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Well, you did make your statement after YankeesFan said Rochester was boring, and they were from NYC, so that's why I used it as an example. While I agree with you about peoples' phones, I'm not sure how that plays into this discussion.



True, but there are factors to consider. Not everyone is comfortable doing just anything they can find. Plus, there are considerations around how far someone has to travel to an event/activity. I know as a teenager, I lived about 20 mins from downtown and I was bored frequently. Could I have found something to do across the entire metro? Sure, but I would have had to drive 20+ miles one way (add the winter weather in and it was more difficult). Plus, how many times can you go to the same place/event?

That being said, I agree that some will complain no matter where they are, but that doesn't invalidate every single person who says they find a place boring.
When speaking about someone in particular, people usually quote them.

About the stupid phones. People are glued to them everywhere! They can't walk down the street without them. I've seen so many people come so close to being hit by vehicles because they're so absorbed in their stupid phone it's not funny. People here have died because of their phones. One lady died in Canandaigua last year. That text must have been real important.

People are bored all over America. Doesn't matter you are. I'm sure there's people bored in Manhattan right now and they're complaining there's nothing to do.

Who said anything about "doing just anything they can find"? Oh please about distances! I grew up 20 minutes from a tiny suburban town and all if had growing up was a grocery store. I now live in the FLX so I've well over an hour to Rochester.And yet somehow I still manage to find things to do every weekend. It's not only teenagers who complain there's nothing to do around here. The vast majority or people on here complaining are adults.

People, in general, want entertainment to come to them. They don't want to look for it. That means they'd actually have to do something. I literally have seen people complain in the Charlotte and Atlanta forums that there's nothing there to do. A giraffe would find plenty to do in both cities so why are humans struggling? LAZY! That's why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Mt. Airy
5,311 posts, read 5,341,270 times
Reputation: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
When speaking about someone in particular, people usually quote them.

About the stupid phones. People are glued to them everywhere! They can't walk down the street without them. I've seen so many people come so close to being hit by vehicles because they're so absorbed in their stupid phone it's not funny. People here have died because of their phones. One lady died in Canandaigua last year. That text must have been real important.

People are bored all over America. Doesn't matter you are. I'm sure there's people bored in Manhattan right now and they're complaining there's nothing to do.

Who said anything about "doing just anything they can find"? Oh please about distances! I grew up 20 minutes from a tiny suburban town and all if had growing up was a grocery store. I now live in the FLX so I've well over an hour to Rochester.And yet somehow I still manage to find things to do every weekend. It's not only teenagers who complain there's nothing to do around here. The vast majority or people on here complaining are adults.

People, in general, want entertainment to come to them. They don't want to look for it. That means they'd actually have to do something. I literally have seen people complain in the Charlotte and Atlanta forums that there's nothing there to do. A giraffe would find plenty to do in both cities so why are humans struggling? LAZY! That's why.
I won't respond to most of your diatribe, because it seems you're going to keep serving up the same strawman argument regardless of what anyone types. I'll just say that just because YOU can find a way to not be bored anyplace on Earth, it does not mean that is the case for EVERYONE ELSE. It does not invalidate someone's opinion that Rochester or someplace else is boring TO THEM. This is an opinion thread on Rochester after all, not a philosophical discussion about how anyone can find excitement anywhere or on common habits of cell phone usage in the 21st century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in America
12,304 posts, read 10,788,201 times
Reputation: 20542
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I won't respond to most of your diatribe, because it seems you're going to keep serving up the same strawman argument regardless of what anyone types. I'll just say that just because YOU can find a way to not be bored anyplace on Earth, it does not mean that is the case for EVERYONE ELSE. It does not invalidate someone's opinion that Rochester or someplace else is boring TO THEM. This is an opinion thread on Rochester after all, not a philosophical discussion about how anyone can find excitement anywhere or on common habits of cell phone usage in the 21st century.
You're not going to respond, but you did! LOL

Hate to tell you this, but the people I know and hang out with don't complain they're bored. They know how to find things to do. Many people who complain they're bored are bored because they don't know how to entertain themselves. They're used to others doing it for them.

What philosophy is involved? It's a fact that is there plenty to do. This isn't the middle of corn land Nebraska where the closest WalMart is 100 miles+ away. There are countless museums, historic homes and sites, parks, lakes, skiing, snowshoeing, ice skating, join a rec center and play a sport, join the Y, join a quilting guild, attend one of the dozens of festivals held in the region throughout the year, go wine/beer/liquor/cider tasting, check out a farm, go apple picking, go cherry picking, go on a sleigh ride, go to the library, join a book club, join a gaming group, etc. Like I said, there's plenty to do. You just have to find it....it's not hard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Mt. Airy
5,311 posts, read 5,341,270 times
Reputation: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
You're not going to respond, but you did! LOL
Read again:

Quote:
I won't respond to most of your diatribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Hate to tell you this, but the people I know and hang out with don't complain they're bored. They know how to find things to do. Many people who complain they're bored are bored because they don't know how to entertain themselves. They're used to others doing it for them.

What philosophy is involved? It's a fact that is there plenty to do. This isn't the middle of corn land Nebraska where the closest WalMart is 100 miles+ away. There are countless museums, historic homes and sites, parks, lakes, skiing, snowshoeing, ice skating, join a rec center and play a sport, join the Y, join a quilting guild, attend one of the dozens of festivals held in the region throughout the year, go wine/beer/liquor/cider tasting, check out a farm, go apple picking, go cherry picking, go on a sleigh ride, go to the library, join a book club, join a gaming group, etc. Like I said, there's plenty to do. You just have to find it....it's not hard!
I personally find cities where you have to drive most places undesirable. I find excitement in street life, walking everywhere, being able to explore different neighborhoods and always find something new. The ability to go to a jazz club one night, walk to dinner another night in an ethnic neighborhood and then walk to an urban park to see musicians perform. Essentially, I prefer the ability to explore and enjoy an urban environment on a larger scale than Rochester can offer.

Some folks don't like the amount of snow or cold, and because of that they struggle to find things they like to do in the winter. Sure, they could go join a quilting guild, but maybe that's not what they want to do.

Some folks want to make a living on the ocean and find being inland on a lake (despite its size) not their preference. They may find it boring because they cannot go deep-sea fishing, which is different than salmon fishing on Lake Ontario.

Some folks love francophone culture and a cosmopolitan environment. They may struggle to find their fix of that in Rochester and therefore cannot connect with the place...leading to boredom.

Some folks may want to golf year-round, and find that the winters affect their ability to improve their game. They could go on a sleigh ride, but don't find that particularly exciting.

My point being that it has little to do with the fact that one could find things to do. Sometimes, not all the time, it has to do with the fact that a city does not fit ones preferences for lifestyle. Other times, people may be perpetually unhappy and lazy.

Last edited by AJNEOA; 01-15-2015 at 12:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 11:46 AM
 
352 posts, read 241,115 times
Reputation: 703
I think the problem here is that there is a big difference between saying "Rochester is boring" and "there isn't enough here that I like to do". Just because someone doesn't like the things that Rochester has to offer, doesn't mean it's a boring place, it just isn't fit for that person. Do you go to a restaurant where you don't like the type of food they serve, and then afterwards complain that the food sucked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Mt. Airy
5,311 posts, read 5,341,270 times
Reputation: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBenny View Post
I think the problem here is that there is a big difference between saying "Rochester is boring" and "there isn't enough here that I like to do". Just because someone doesn't like the things that Rochester has to offer, doesn't mean it's a boring place, it just isn't fit for that person. Do you go to a restaurant where you don't like the type of food they serve, and then afterwards complain that the food sucked?
This makes sense. I think a portion of the folks who say a place is truly boring are younger people. And most people aren't as thoughtful in their wording IME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:10 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top