U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 07:40 AM

93 posts, read 198,550 times

Advertisements

The level of diversity in Brighton schools - among the very best in the entire nation - is higher than many people who do not live in Bighton realize. There is a substantial number of south asian and east asian kids as well as blacks and latinos. I would not rule this suburb out on account of its being non-diverse. Brighton abuts the southeastern city boundary. It's a hop, skip and jump to downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 10:13 AM

531 posts, read 978,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggz View Post
The level of diversity in Brighton schools - among the very best in the entire nation - is higher than many people who do not live in Bighton realize. There is a substantial number of south asian and east asian kids as well as blacks and latinos. I would not rule this suburb out on account of its being non-diverse. Brighton abuts the southeastern city boundary. It's a hop, skip and jump to downtown.

This is also very true.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:47 PM

56,648 posts, read 80,952,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
I couldn't agree with you more.

While the suburbs you mentioned definitely have a comparatively larger African-American population, I can tell you that in ANY of the suburbs, your daughter (and you and your entire family for that matter) will have no problem meeting and befriending plenty of black and white people. Eastridge high school in Irondequoit is immensley diverse--there really isn't more of one race than another.

By the way, fairport is awesome--I'm sure you'd love it.
I agree and Eastridge(technical name is East Irondequoit) is probably the most "diverse" suburban school district in the Rochester area, as it is about 18% Black, 11% Hispanic, 2% Asian and 1% Multiracial now, with the rest being White.

Personally, if I were to pick a diverse suburban SD in the Rochester area, I'd go with Brighton or Rush-Henrietta. You have pretty much anything you need in that area, as the two SD's touch each other. A thing people don't think about is that R-H's grad. rate for Black students is around 86%, which is good period and the school is 18% Black. It's overall grad rate from the latest data(08-09) is 89%. https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...1701060013.pdf This is for a district that seems to somewhat get a "bad" rep for some reason.

Brighton is even better at an overall rate of 93% and has an Asian population of 13% that makes that groups the next largest in the district/school. https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...1701060013.pdf

For more data like this, you can look here: https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2009&county=Monroe (broken link)

BTW-West Irondequoit Schools would be another I would consider due to it's diversity, high educational standards, being close to the city/Downtown while being safe and having walkable neighborhoods to boot.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggz View Post
Exactly and it also was a school that was an Urban-Suburban school. So, that has something to do with that, but much of the diversity there resides in the district.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmom View Post
Nope, no decisions made yet . It will all come down to job offers. Although now my husband is considering join the military . So who knows what will happen...

The race discussion doesn't bother me (the op) at all, or in my opinion reflect poorly on Rochester. Race is an issue in many cities - some more than others.
The military! Really? Not that it is bad, as I was in the Army for 4 years myself. Did he say why, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 08-27-2010, 04:18 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,315,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
The military! Really? Not that it is bad, as I was in the Army for 4 years myself. Did he say why, if you don't mind me asking?
It's something he's always been interested in, and since we were planning to relocate, change jobs, etc anyway, he decided it was a good time to explore the military as well. It will be interesting to see what he decides . What did you think of the army? He is looking into army and air force.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmom View Post
It's something he's always been interested in, and since we were planning to relocate, change jobs, etc anyway, he decided it was a good time to explore the military as well. It will be interesting to see what he decides . What did you think of the army? He is looking into army and air force.
It was alright. I was in the Signal Corps at Fort Drum. So, I was only an hour and 15 minutes away from home. Fort Drum is pretty easy to get as a duty station, as not too many people supposedly want to be stationed there due to the weather and the 10th Mountain Division is the most deployed unit in the Army or was when I was in. Ironically, the furthest I got to go anywhere was Louisiana 3 times.

From what I hear, the Air Force treats its soldiers better, but the Army has better benefits.

I know that there is an Air Force Base(Offutt) near Bellevue in the Omaha area. So, I can see why he would consider the Air Force. Ft. Drum is probably about 2 and a half hours from Rochester.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:07 AM

59 posts, read 204,306 times

Dislikes: poor fashion sense, lack of ethnic diversity, lack of adequate public transportation, car culture, general shortage of beautiful people, both male and female, lack of techno/house scene.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:37 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,617,360 times
Lol @ David, go back to San Fran or Providencetown.

I mean seriously, a general shortage of beautiful people? No fashion sense? LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

Old 08-31-2010, 01:23 PM

200 posts, read 531,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David001 View Post

Dislikes: poor fashion sense, lack of ethnic diversity, lack of adequate public transportation, car culture, general shortage of beautiful people, both male and female, lack of techno/house scene.
Wow! Poor fashion sense, lack of beautiful people? Harsh! Seriously though, I'm with you on some of the other points. But dang, I think I look GOOD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area