U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-07-2010, 06:36 PM
 
531 posts, read 977,826 times
Reputation: 274

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
I see you're 21, and that you live in the 14621 ZIP. So, in your many years on this Earth, you've been all over, I take it. Nice personal attack, by the way.

You cite some obscure blog post as "proof" that Greenville is some awful, "racist" place. Yeah, I'd love to see where you end up in 10 years. We spent half a day over the weekend, downtown. Try doing that in Rochester without being bored to death, or being shaken down by a panhandler.

Ursula Burns? *yawn* The black middle class down here is larger, and earns more, then blacks up North (this is proven by hard stats). Let's see what the stats are for 14621:

Current Population: 34,494
2000 Population: 35,977
Households per Zip Code: 15,703
Average House Value: $52,000
Avg. Income Per Household: $22,107
Persons Per Household: 2.60
White Population: 11,962
Black Population: 15,578
Hispanic Population: 9,479
Asian Population: 805
Indian Population: 160
Hawaiian Population: 22
Other Population: 5,623
Male Population: 16,565
Female Population: 19,412
Median Age: 30.40 years
Male Median Age: 28.20 years
Female Median Age: 32.10 years
# Residential Mailboxes : 13,267

LMAO! I don't think there's a $52K house in this city, let alone houses one could get within the city limits of Rochester for $6K. $22K household income? Wow. The demographics are almost identical to our ZIP, yet the avg. home value here is $175K, and the avg. household income is around $70K.

Having left Rochester and seen quite a bit of the countryside, I can assure you there are plenty of nicer places than the 14621 ZIP.

Do us all a favor and go see parts of the country you're nor familiar with, before you make blanket judgments.


lol. If it didn't take you 2 weeks to respond, and if I didn't just leave for school, I might have wasted more time on you. What's shocking is that even though it took you 2 weeks, you still managed to respond with irrelevant BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2010, 07:04 AM
 
56,538 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Reputation: 12490
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
Yeah, way to pick on one of the worst zip codes in Rochester. You proved nothing.
Yeah, I was thinking that too. You could probably find the same for any city and un fortunately find similar statistics.

A good way to look is through say American Factfinder and find a neighborhood that would be relevant to the topic.

I don't think people are denying that many Black folks are doing well in the South. It make sense in terms of socio-historical institutions, sheer size and history. With that said, the South still has higher poverty rate in general terms.

There are areas of towns like Chili, Gates, Irondequoit, Henrietta and Greece with a higher concentration than average in the area that are still fine. I'm sure there are parts of the city of Rochester as well. I believe parts of the 19th Ward near Brighton and Chili is a mostly Black area of the city that is close to the national averages in terms of poverty rate: http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...rd=&_industry=

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...rd=&_industry=

Granted, the information might be a bit old, but those are a couple of examples within the city of Rochester and some of that spills over in to the adjacent towns(Chili and Brighton). So, things will vary depending upon where you look in an area.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-08-2010 at 07:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
1,283 posts, read 2,656,475 times
Reputation: 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, I was thinking that too. You could probably find the same for any city and un fortunately find similar statistics.

A good way to look is through say American Factfinder and find a neighborhood that would be relevant to the topic.

I don't think people are denying that many Black folks are doing well in the South. It make sense in terms of socio-historical institutions, sheer size and history. With that said, the South still has higher poverty rate in general terms.

There are areas of towns like Chili, Gates, Irondequoit, Henrietta and Greece with a higher concentration than average in the area that are still fine. I'm sure there are parts of the city of Rochester as well. I believe parts of the 19th Ward near Brighton and Chili is a mostly Black area of the city that is close to the national averages in terms of poverty rate: Census Tract 71, Monroe County, New York - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

Census Tract 70, Monroe County, New York - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

Granted, the information might be a bit old, but those are a couple of examples within the city of Rochester and some of that spills over in to the adjacent towns(Chili and Brighton). So, things will vary depending upon where you look in an area.
The poster's profile says he/she lives in the 14621 ZIP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 10:16 AM
 
531 posts, read 977,826 times
Reputation: 274
lol what do does my personal zip code have to do with what we were discussing?!!??! you're lost, man; just stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Rochester NY (western NY)
1,021 posts, read 1,616,205 times
Reputation: 2311
Howie my man, no matter you say, you lose. Even if you provide black and white facts, you're still wrong if it's regarding information negative to Rochester
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 10:20 AM
 
531 posts, read 977,826 times
Reputation: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Howie my man, no matter you say, you lose. Even if you provide black and white facts, you're still wrong if it's regarding information negative to Rochester

With a lot of people on this board, you're actually right. But go through and read my posts. I admit--and even highlight--the negative aspects of Rochester just as much as I do the positive. In this case, Howie Long is just straight up wrong, and his argument makes absolutely no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Rochester NY (western NY)
1,021 posts, read 1,616,205 times
Reputation: 2311
Well, his argument and posted facts may have been irrelevant to what you were saying, but he's definitely not wrong. He did point out yet another area in the Rochester region that straight up blows goat ass, which is just fine by me. Any post that can help point out how awful this place really is works for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 10:44 AM
 
531 posts, read 977,826 times
Reputation: 274
lol well if thats how you wanna look at it then, then yeah, hes right: 14621 is an absolutely terrible, crime-ridden, poverty-stricken zip code.


but...uh...where exactly does he plan on going with this in regard to anything were talking about??!!!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2010, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
1,283 posts, read 2,656,475 times
Reputation: 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
lol well if thats how you wanna look at it then, then yeah, hes right: 14621 is an absolutely terrible, crime-ridden, poverty-stricken zip code.


but...uh...where exactly does he plan on going with this in regard to anything were talking about??!!!?
2+2=4

Demographics within my ZIP are almost identical to yours, 14621. Yet you live in a poverty-stricken, awful part of the city. I live in a working class/middle class part of the City of Greenville, surrounded by people of different backgrounds, ethnicities, etc. We're all successful, or trying to be successful in life, just like millions of other Americans. There aren't any $6K houses, here.

By the way, I don't know one "person of color" itching to move to Rochester, NY, in fact I don't know anybody who is moving that way. I know that doesn't fit your worldview, coming such an "enlightened" place as 14621, but you'll gave to believe me.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2010, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Western NY
24 posts, read 40,394 times
Reputation: 15
My husband and I are considering moving out of Rochester because of jobs. (He hasn't been layed off from Kodak yet). We discuss pros and cons every day!

Pros
*We have three small children and think this is a really great place to raise a family.
*Everything really is about 20 minutes away! Job commute, Museums, the zoo, sports, amusement parks, parks, WEGMANS, shopping, Lake Ontario
*Other attractions - the Finger Lakes, wineries, Buffalo, the Falls,
*Schools and educational resources
*Resources for hobbies and fitness
*The beauty of four seasons
*This may sound silly, but I like the layout of highways and roads. Getting from point A to point B is easy

Cons
*Yeah, 8 months of cold gray weather, below zero wind-chill, ice and snow whipping back into your face as you scrape it off the car at 7am, telling your kids how fun and beautiful the snow is, while your teeth are chattering, wondering again, why do we live here? I know some people like winter and it can be beautiful
*Wondering if I'm under-dressed to do "high-end shopping" at Eastview Mall
*People can be rude, but isn't that the way everywhere . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top