Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:58 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron4040 View Post
Likes -
^^^Ding Ding Ding!
Large enough that you can remain anonymous, small enough that you don't have to.
Large enough that you always have something to do, small enough that you .
I like the fact that I can go a year running into anybody I know in public (assuming I don't go to my regular spots), but I can also go a few weeks in a row with seeing somebody I know out in public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 12:40 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,686,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron4040 View Post
Likes -
Red wings, Amerks, etc.
What are these?

Back to the Rochester accent, we had a funny incident when my mother in law (who has lived her entire life in Rochester area) was here in Albuquerque visiting us. We went to Toys R Us to look for blocks for my daughter. A nice young lady who worked there asked if she could help us and my mother in law with her accent, said "yes, can you tell us where the blaahcks are?" The young lady, who happened to be black said "you want to know where the blacks are?" looking really perplexed. We all at once were stumbling over each others words "no, no, the BLOCKS, where are the blocks?" Anyway, just kind of funny . Everyone laughed.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:23 PM

200 posts, read 604,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmom View Post
What are these?
Sorry - Amerks - AHL Hockey
Redwings - AAA Baseball
I forget not everyone is a minor league sports fan lol. But for about $20 you can take in a game, have a beer or two & a hot dog. In a Major League city you're looking at $50+. That's definitely a positive, especially when you consider the cost of a trip for an average family of four would be $70 - $80 vs $200+ for a night at the ball park.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:37 PM

60 posts, read 257,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Like:
-Everything
-Its better than florida

Dislike:
-Nothing
I agree, it is better than Florida!

I am not too keen on the snow...but it sure beats dealing with the nasty lightning storms down here!!

Old 08-23-2010, 05:57 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4merWNYer View Post
I agree, it is better than Florida!

I am not too keen on the snow...but it sure beats dealing with the nasty lightning storms down here!!

Or the horrible humidity! Today in tampa the humidity was at 83%. I wished that by miracle it would start to snow..

I would say that I dislike snowblowing...thats it haha maybe when I move back i shall hire someone

Old 08-23-2010, 07:08 PM

60 posts, read 257,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Or the horrible humidity! Today in tampa the humidity was at 83%. I wished that by miracle it would start to snow..

I would say that I dislike snowblowing...thats it haha maybe when I move back i shall hire someone
Yeah same here near Jax. We have had 46 consecutive days of above 90 degrees...with that humidity. Why am I still here? Ack!!

Headed up to Roc for a visit in 10 days....and counting. I can't wait!!

Old 08-23-2010, 07:35 PM

16 posts, read 60,192 times
Quote:
Back to the Rochester accent, we had a funny incident when my mother in law (who has lived her entire life in Rochester area) was here in Albuquerque visiting us. We went to Toys R Us to look for blocks for my daughter. A nice young lady who worked there asked if she could help us and my mother in law with her accent, said "yes, can you tell us where the blaahcks are?" The young lady, who happened to be black said "you want to know where the blacks are?" looking really perplexed. We all at once were stumbling over each others words "no, no, the BLOCKS, where are the blocks?" Anyway, just kind of funny . Everyone laughed.
lol

• Snow. As someone from Miami, I kinda actually like the snow! I'll take that over a tropical storm or one of those nasty thunderstorms. Plus, I can brush snow off my hair and go on with my day as opposed to walking around with a dripping, ruined mess on my head with too much heat to throw a hat on and hide it.
  • Bricks. Everything is either concrete or "modern" in Miami, so I actually like seeing brick buildings; it's different to me.
  • The fact that it is sooo untropical. I've lived in Miami until graduation and then I studied abroad in Brazil, so Rochester is DEFINITELY different than what I'm used to. So it's all novel and amusing to me.
  • Seasons. There are seasons besides hot and hurricane, who knew?
  • Size. It's not the biggest city (and I laugh at people who think it's huuuge), but it's not rural, so it's a decent way for me to satisfy my curiosity of living outside of a big city without going to a farm or rural area (especially since I am NOT a nature girl.)
    • And someone mentioned how you can run into people you know, but also be able to go somewhere different without seeing everyone you know.
  • English. I'm from Miami, 'nuff said.
  • Lake Ontario, we drove to Lake Ontario "just because". Most of us were not from New York, so the fact that we saw our first Great Lake was cool.
Dislikes
  • Public Transportation is a joke. And why Rochester would close that subway is beyond me.
  • Malls. I hear Eastview is good but it's sooo out of the way! The Hot Topic and Payless of Marketplace Mall isn't quite doing it for me.
  • Bipolar weather. 80 degrees one weekend and snowing the next? I wasn't sure what clothes to put in storage.
  • Wind. I'm not sure if it's just an RIT thing because of the design of the campus with all the wind channeling corridors, but it was so numbingly windy! Umbrellas are just no match.
  • Bees. There seems to be a lot of bees in the warm seasons. Quite annoying. No soda was safe.
  • Why is the closest Krispy Kreme in Toronto?

Old 08-23-2010, 08:23 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJewelStone View Post
lol

• Snow. As someone from Miami, I kinda actually like the snow! I'll take that over a tropical storm or one of those nasty thunderstorms. Plus, I can brush snow off my hair and go on with my day as opposed to walking around with a dripping, ruined mess on my head with too much heat to throw a hat on and hide it.
  • Bricks. Everything is either concrete or "modern" in Miami, so I actually like seeing brick buildings; it's different to me.
  • The fact that it is sooo untropical. I've lived in Miami until graduation and then I studied abroad in Brazil, so Rochester is DEFINITELY different than what I'm used to. So it's all novel and amusing to me.
  • Seasons. There are seasons besides hot and hurricane, who knew?
  • Size. It's not the biggest city (and I laugh at people who think it's huuuge), but it's not rural, so it's a decent way for me to satisfy my curiosity of living outside of a big city without going to a farm or rural area (especially since I am NOT a nature girl.)
    • And someone mentioned how you can run into people you know, but also be able to go somewhere different without seeing everyone you know.
  • English. I'm from Miami, 'nuff said.
  • Lake Ontario, we drove to Lake Ontario "just because". Most of us were not from New York, so the fact that we saw our first Great Lake was cool.
Dislikes
  • Public Transportation is a joke. And why Rochester would close that subway is beyond me.
  • Malls. I hear Eastview is good but it's sooo out of the way! The Hot Topic and Payless of Marketplace Mall isn't quite doing it for me.
  • Bipolar weather. 80 degrees one weekend and snowing the next? I wasn't sure what clothes to put in storage.
  • Wind. I'm not sure if it's just an RIT thing because of the design of the campus with all the wind channeling corridors, but it was so numbingly windy! Umbrellas are just no match.
  • Bees. There seems to be a lot of bees in the warm seasons. Quite annoying. No soda was safe.
  • Why is the closest Krispy Kreme in Toronto?
I thought I was going crazy with the wind thing at RIT. I'm there a lot for work and it just seems so windy, no matter what season it is, what time of day, or what weather is outside.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:40 AM

531 posts, read 1,143,716 times
Quote:
What are these?

this had me cracking up lol. i dont think our accent is NEARLY as prominent as many think. i dont think people from the midwest or the west coast would notice much of an accent in the way we talk. i could be wrong though. I know floridians don't seem to really notice it.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:59 AM

531 posts, read 1,143,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I like the fact that I can go a year running into anybody I know in public (assuming I don't go to my regular spots), but I can also go a few weeks in a row with seeing somebody I know out in public.
^^^Ding Ding Ding!
"Large enough that you can remain anonymous, small enough that you don't have to."

Ehh, as a 21 year old, I don't really agree with this. It's pretty hard for me to go anywhere without seeing at least SOMEONE I know. This actually really bothers me--I moved to FL for few months, and LOVED how I could go places and have virtually no chance of seeing someone I know. I absolutely hate he tmeaningless small-talk that occurs between random acquaintances, and I feel like no matter where I go in Rochester, its bound to happen.

Whenever I see a good-looking girl that I don't already know, I automatically assume she just moved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area