U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 08:20 PM

49 posts, read 95,444 times

Advertisements

And as for Greece I have lived here for the past two years and it is nice here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 08:40 AM

525 posts, read 1,640,673 times
I don't want to make too much of this because I have no experience with Greece Schools directly, but I know a lot of people (including family) who move away from Greece, or want to, if their kids cannot get into Greece Odyssey because of the perceived quality of the other schools. They aren't moving to Brighton or Pittsford, but Churchville, Spencerport, and Hilton.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:53 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,647,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
I don't want to make too much of this because I have no experience with Greece Schools directly, but I know a lot of people (including family) who move away from Greece, or want to, if their kids cannot get into Greece Odyssey because of the perceived quality of the other schools. They aren't moving to Brighton or Pittsford, but Churchville, Spencerport, and Hilton.
One local fact some may not be aware of is Hilton schools overlap into Greece, as far east as Flynn/Loudon Point Road (might go further east than that, even). One couple we know live on the east side of Flynn, and both their kids go to Hilton. They're pretty happy with Hilton schools, and they love the area/people. I've heard Spencerport is pretty good, too, in fact the very SW corner of Greece might be Spencerport schools (not sure, myself).

I'm a product of city and Greece schools. Not sure about recent times, but, 20 years ago the schools were at least decent, although there were a lot of "dead wood" amongst some of the teachers (I've heard this has improved some). Many report Odyssey is a good school, just haven't heard any specifics as to why kids and parents like it so much. I think the class sizes may be smaller than the other high schools. We (my wife and I) lived in Greece for a time, and some of the kids in the neighborhood attended Odyssey. Nice kids.

I will say this about Greece, and I'll probably get flamed for this. 20 years ago we had our "element" out there, i.e. bad kids and questionable parents, which outsiders need to be aware of. Some kids would simply drop out at 16 'cause they knew they could get a well paying union gig when they turned 18, or whatever. Those jobs are gone, so, I don't know where today's Greece dropouts end up. By the time my wife and I were living there several years ago, there seemed to be a certain lazy and shiftless element amongst some of the older school kids, which could be due to a variety of factors (most likely the parents). It's changed some since I went to high school in Greece, and some report there's been a spike in dropouts. Yet, for all the negative in the schools no doubt most kids do fine, it's just important for good parents to keep in mind their kids' associations.

Greece is a huge town with a lot of great people, and a huge cross section of humanity, which is one factor which makes it such a good place to live. We know folks who live there who work construction and in manufacturing, as well as doctors and millionaires, so, Greece is a town which pretty much has it all, and can be considered affordable for most people. Several successful Rochester folks we know grew up there, and choose to live in Greece despite having the income and means to live just about anywhere in the metro area (this includes a few folks I've worked for). One factor is the commute, which makes sense as I'd worked on the east side several years ago, and decided to live in Fairport. Then, when I got hired back at a place on the west side (around the time we settled down), we bought a house in Greece.

Some consider the traffic to be a downer, which I tend to agree with. Also, the police dept. is going through it's own set of investigations at the moment, so, in Greece ya gotta roll with the punches, sometimes. One thing myself and others notice is the massive police presence, out there, which can be a bit unnerving (especially at 2PM on a Sunday when they have like 15 squad cars on the road), although my own experiences with the police out there were pleasant, mostly. Some claim the large amount of police is because of the mall and sundry other shopping plazas there, but, who knows. Greece is a very safe town given its huge population.

-

Old 07-07-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
I've heard Spencerport is pretty good, too, in fact the very SW corner of Greece might be Spencerport schools (not sure, myself).
I believe this is true, such as Elmgrove Rd. south of Fiesta or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
I'm a product of city and Greece schools. Not sure about recent times, but, 20 years ago the schools were at least decent,
I have a lot of family that went to Athena and Olympia around then and they were good schools then. They still live in Greece and only because of Odyssey and will probably move after their kids graduate.

It may be racist or bigotry or whatnot, but I know at least a few people who blame the downfall of Greece to the building of English Village and the precedent it set, and claim the aftermath causes trouble all the way up to Ridge Road or even further south. I don't live in Greece and have no experience on this, but I trust their opinion.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:29 PM

56,217 posts, read 80,332,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
I believe this is true, such as Elmgrove Rd. south of Fiesta or so.

I have a lot of family that went to Athena and Olympia around then and they were good schools then. They still live in Greece and only because of Odyssey and will probably move after their kids graduate.

It may be racist or bigotry or whatnot, but I know at least a few people who blame the downfall of Greece to the building of English Village and the precedent it set, and claim the aftermath causes trouble all the way up to Ridge Road or even further south. I don't live in Greece and have no experience on this, but I trust their opinion.
What's interesting about the last paragraph is that Greece is still one of the safest towns in the country.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What's interesting about the last paragraph is that Greece is still one of the safest towns in the country.
I agree, it doesn't make sense. However, if you look at the rankings, they are consider Greece one of the safest cities in America (city = population 75000+), so while Greece is safe compared to Rochester, New Orleans and Cleveland, it is not being compared to Pittsford. Furthermore, those rankings are based purely on FBI statistics using methods recommended against by the FBI. Still, I don't think Greece is necessarily unsafe in the grand scheme of things, but there are things to pay attention to.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:39 PM

8 posts, read 17,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post

Recommend moving here: yes, if you have a job lined up. otherwise, no.

Isn't that just about everywhere?

Old 12-10-2009, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,654 times
Does Greece have any farm land on the outskirts. I'm looking to buy a 5 to 10 acre parcel for a small farm.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:36 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,647,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynegreene View Post
Does Greece have any farm land on the outskirts. I'm looking to buy a 5 to 10 acre parcel for a small farm.
Last I knew, there were large parcels of land still available in the far NW corner of the town, in fact there are some orchards and farms in that area.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:19 AM

5,265 posts, read 14,868,505 times
There are a few large undeveloped parcels left in the far western areas of town; but I'd imagine most of them are private and not really for sale. If you go just west of Greece into Parma, a much more rural town; there is way more land to be had for much less money and lower property taxes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area