Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 12:24 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,176 times

Advertisements

No doubt those private sector job losses are much more acute, and higher, within Upstate:

New York's Lost Decade - Rochester, News, Weather, Sports, and Events - 13WHAM.com

Quote:
Rochester has lost 8.5 percent of its private sector jobs since 2000, but saw an increase of 6.3 percent in local government jobs. Much of the growth was in school employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 09:09 PM

99 posts, read 228,041 times
It seems that when most of the country turned to the right after Reagan/Bush/Clinton/Bush, New York kept heading left . . .

There is going to be hell to pay when the local and state government employees are told that there isn't enough money left to pay their promised pensions and retirement healthcare benefits . . .

Old 09-11-2010, 10:00 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
I am hoping that Andrew Cuomo will take down the unions. He is the only one that can because he has a strong personality and he is one of them (a Democrat).

Rick Lazio and Carl Paladino will be perceived as the enemy, and won't be effective.

Of course who knows what Andrew will do?

Old 09-13-2010, 06:50 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
I'm not going to say that our property taxes aren't outrageous or that our public officials aren't among the most wasteful in the nation because there's no doubt those are both true; but a lost decade? I think the rest of the country had a lost decade with the most fake economic expansion in history based off of overextended and inflated credit that pushed real estate prices to jump insanely in a bubble market that as we all know, crashed terribly. Rochester and the rest of upstate was "behind" during that time; we had higher unemployment numbers, and lower real estate appreciation (albeit, true steady appreciation); now, we have unemployment rates below the national average, and in fact below that of most of the former boom-towns of the sunbelt, and a relatively stable real estate market. The fields that are now considered the most valuable nationally; education, health care, high-tech engineering, are actually doing fairly well here. Will we ever be the next "it" spot to relocate to and have thousands of people moving here to find "greener pastures"...probably not; but having lived in one of those areas for a long time I can say I'm more than OK with that.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:04 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,109 times
Talk about a lost decade......

YouTube - Rochester ny a City of Poverty

Old 09-13-2010, 01:24 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Talk about a lost decade......

YouTube - Rochester ny a City of Poverty

Have you ever been to a different city? The houses are much worse, the ghettos are much worse. Rochester is NOT that bad compared to places Ive lived.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:31 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
wow, somebody cherry picking bad areas to display in a video. I could do the same to make the place look like Beverly Hills, but that would be wrong.
Try again.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:17 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,109 times
Meh, I wouldn't say it's *terribly* inaccurate, at least when it comes to the city itself. Now the suburbs....

Old 09-13-2010, 03:20 PM

5,675 posts, read 4,081,937 times
For a metro area of over a million and city of over 200k, the video isn't too bad. Most other cities look 100x worse.

But I do agree with the threads beginning. We are wasting our time and money in NY. Success is penalized and failure is rewarded. Rochester is loaded with talented and skilled people and NYS is basically saying to them "get lost." They kicked Ton Golisano out of NY after creating a thriving business of 3300 people and many small upstart businesses. Instead, the high school drop out is coddled. Welfare, free housing, free food, free utilities while they are out selling crack and burdening the police.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:11 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
For a metro area of over a million and city of over 200k, the video isn't too bad. Most other cities look 100x worse.

But I do agree with the threads beginning. We are wasting our time and money in NY. Success is penalized and failure is rewarded. Rochester is loaded with talented and skilled people and NYS is basically saying to them "get lost." They kicked Ton Golisano out of NY after creating a thriving business of 3300 people and many small upstart businesses. Instead, the high school drop out is coddled. Welfare, free housing, free food, free utilities while they are out selling crack and burdening the police.
I think it is time to think in terms of creating a job for themselves and others instead of just looking for a job.

As for welfare, I'm not sure if NY is even in the top 10 in terms of per capita or in terms of how much a resident gets.

People also forget about corporate welfare to corporations that end up leaving the state or country that also hurt residents possibly even more than AFDC or other forms of welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area