U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 09:41 AM

65,495 posts, read 91,302,416 times

Advertisements

What kind of reputation does that part of the city have? It doesn't look too bad for the most part and it's proximity to the airport, U of R and hospitals would make it seem like it would be in high demand for those that want an urban environment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 10:01 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,960,305 times
Depends on who you talk to. There are some uneducated suburbanites who think the whole 19th ward is a giant ghetto which is not true. While there are some sketchy areas of the 19th ward, mainly around the Thurston area, much of it is fine. Most of the housing in the 19th ward is in good shape. Many of U of R students and employees live in the area and there has been construction around the Genesee street area across from the school with a new hotel, student housing and coffee shop.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:33 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,703,092 times
Student housing and a coffee shop definitely make everything better.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:59 PM

169 posts, read 439,999 times
It seems comparable to the Beechwood neighborhood on the east side in many respects.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:19 PM

1,621 posts, read 2,898,912 times
The little area bounded by Genesee Park Blvd., the canal, and Chili Ave. is quiet, with the exception of the noise from the airport. There are folks on either side of Genesee Park who work at UofR. My dad and his gf live over there. I recommend people stay away from Thurston, Rugby, and points between S. Plymouth and all the way over to the tracks/West Ave. Granted, some homes along West are nice and have been restored, but there's a certain grittiness which may be a turn-off, plus old abandoned industrial sites and whatnot. Also, the neighborhood around Lincoln and over to where GRS and Kodak had plants is OK, just gritty (they're active industrial sites, in fact a friend owns one).

The 19th Ward is kinda out in no-man's-land, when it comes to retail options. Wegmans Mt. Hope shut down a while back. There's a Tops on West. The next nearest Wegmans shut down a while ago, too (Chili Ave.). So, you have to drive a ways for stuff which most folks might want to be convenient to. One could drive to the Lyell Wegmans, via 390, plus there's an Aldi's over there. Wal Mart is on Chili out in Gates, and a Tops on Buffalo Rd. near to Elmgrove.

I've been to holiday parties and other special events, all along Genesee Park, and streets between there and the canal and never had a problem. There's a general mix of professionals, blue collar, city employees (police, fire, etc.), UofR folks, and students in that area. Both single family and rentals, with many being owner-occupied.

Here's a map:

brooks avenue rochester - Google Maps

I wouldn't buy over there, but would have rented if I'd known about it when I was younger. Typical massive 2.5+ story frame houses built in the 20's. Hardwoods, gumwood, leaded glass, porches. Downside is some of the homes need updates in the way of plumbing and whatnot, which can cost a fortune. Generally, they're cozy houses which have held up well.

It was a city dump, before that.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:55 AM

From what I've read, it seems like some streets get thrown in with the 19th Ward that aren't necessarily in the 19th Ward, but are considered a part of the Genesee-Jefferson neighborhood. So, what's actually considered to be the 19th Ward?

Here's a description of the neighborhood here: 19th Ward - Rochester Wiki

Old 09-28-2010, 08:40 AM

99 posts, read 208,158 times
The following description from your link sounds right to me:
The 19th Ward is bordered, clockwise from its northern edge, by West Avenue, Genesee Street, Scottsville Road and the Erie Canal.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:01 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,703,092 times
Can someone explain to me why exactly it's called the 19th ward? I don't recall hearing about the first 18 anywhere.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Can someone explain to me why exactly it's called the 19th ward? I don't recall hearing about the first 18 anywhere.
I believe that it comes from early political lines drawn for cities a long time ago. For instance, Syracuse used to have a neighborhood called the 15th Ward near Downtown. Binghamton has a neighborhood called the 1st Ward on it's North Side west of the Chenango River. So, it could from the political designation that stuck with that particular neighborhood.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:45 AM

5,265 posts, read 15,406,182 times
The city actually is divided up into wards....19th ward is just the only one that goes by its name. Maplewood, for example, is sometimes referred to as the 10th ward. I think it goes by the order in which the sections of the city were annexed (I want to say I've also heard the western half of downtown referred to as "the first ward"). Also, (maybe coincidentally) the 19th ward has the zipcode 14619.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area