U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2006, 09:23 AM

31 posts, read 95,467 times

Advertisements

Okay, my wife and I have narrowed down the list of upstate counties to Ontario... Thanks! Now, would anybody be kind enough to tell us the favorite town / village and why? Peace and quiet are at the top of our list... along with good, friendly people. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2006, 09:42 AM

59 posts, read 302,908 times
I know "I'mInformed" will be on soon to tell you the following!

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Ontario county...... without even giving it a second thought, would be my suggestion. It was just ranked the best rural county in America to live. Canandaigua or any of the small villages around it that are right on Canandaigua lake (one of the finger lakes), sound like what you are looking fore. Here is a link to the page from the agency that ranked it the best place in America to live;

http://www.progressivefarmer.com/far...01ontario.html

I do agree with her after living outside of Syracuse and going to Canandaigua... really nice neighborhood. If I didn't have to leave the region for a job, I think I would have ended up there myself!

Old 08-15-2006, 11:52 PM

Default thanks!

thanks so much. heard that area has recently displaced lake tahoe when it comes to waterfront property prices... so will have to find a great town or vilage near there... any suggestions? thanks again!

Old 08-16-2006, 10:14 AM

5,265 posts, read 14,905,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaecny View Post
I know "I'mInformed" will be on soon to tell you the following!

I do agree with her after living outside of Syracuse and going to Canandaigua... really nice neighborhood. If I didn't have to leave the region for a job, I think I would have ended up there myself!
I'm a "him", not a "her"

Old 08-16-2006, 10:37 AM

59 posts, read 302,908 times
OH I'mInformed!! I am so sorry! I wasn't aware! =(

Old 08-16-2006, 06:45 PM

8 posts, read 43,145 times
We used to live in Manchester. It's just down the road from Canandaigua right off the NYS Thruway (exit- 44) Red Jacket school district. I really liked it there- worked in Geneva so had about a 20 minute comute and Victor is about 10 minutes the other direction. Nice streets lined with sidewalks and very very safe to walk after dark alone.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:59 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,905,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaecny View Post
OH I'mInformed!! I am so sorry! I wasn't aware! =(
Don't worry it's ok. I got a good laugh about it!

Old 08-16-2006, 10:33 PM

Default thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie luvr View Post
We used to live in Manchester. It's just down the road from Canandaigua right off the NYS Thruway (exit- 44) Red Jacket school district. I really liked it there- worked in Geneva so had about a 20 minute comute and Victor is about 10 minutes the other direction. Nice streets lined with sidewalks and very very safe to walk after dark alone.
thanks! is it still a rather rural area? or more "sburban," for lack of a better word? thanks for your time, and sorry if that's a stupid question, given the area...

Old 08-19-2006, 04:49 PM

8 posts, read 43,145 times
Definately rural! One grocery store - called Bliss. they make the best potato salad i've ever had. we drive 4 1/2 hours now just to stop there to pick some up! two big gas stations with good size shopping inside, a mcdonalds, and lots of very nice people. the school encompasses two towns- shortsville and manchester. However for "real" grocery shopping, Canandaigua has a Wegmans (locally known as grocery heaven!) as well as all the fast food you can think of.

Any town in this area would be a gem. I'd stay there all my life if I could. But, with a husband from Hawaii and being a military retired family it seems like we still feel we have to "move" every 10 yrs or so.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:03 PM

5 posts, read 13,749 times
Default Try Naples

Naples is very near Canandaigua in Ontario County, very small pretty town, known for skiing and wineries.
My brother lives in Ionia in Ontario County, which is EXTREMELY small -- population probably under 500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area