Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2010, 07:08 PM

127 posts, read 324,347 times

Advertisements

About 2 weeks ago I was driving tru 390 going from Rochester to Elmira, NY (Southbound). I was passing the Cohocton area when I saw a construction in the Northbound side about 3 miles away from me and a police car was standing on it... I had my cruise in around 71 miles, I was on the right lane and about 3 to 4 cars were speeding higher than me. ( and I saw the cop btw) This cop went all the way around and made a turn God knows where and went and stopped me about 5 miles later.

I told him I wasn't speeding and I try to be as nice as I could he was pretty much a "wise guy" and said it was only me who was speeding, I said I apologize but I don't think i wasn't, at least not 87 like he was saying, so he gave me the ticket anyways... the worse part its that he put on the deposition that I said: I apologize if I was speeding.. Which I never said!!

Now yesterday I was driving again around the same area and he stopped me again (!!!) all the way from the other side (yes…again!!!) I was driving on the left lane this time because I was passing a car on the right side that was doing around 60 miles, because I needed to pass him I probably increased my speed to something above 70 but not that much (not saying that’s ok either) but to my disbelief this cop went all the way from the other side made a u-turn and got me like 3 miles later, and it was the same freakin' cop!!! He said I was doing 90 this time!! 90!! As a side note I drive a lot because of my job and I have to be on my bluetooth phone a lot so I never go more than 70-71 for safety reasons!! I have a FL tag and I hate to say this but I think he is crazy picking on me because of it!! He kept saying so you can't come to court right?? and I think if I can understand this right is because if I don't go to court I got to play guilty and pay God knows how much right?? All I said its I didn't know but I am actually preparing my traveling schedule to show up, but other than that I don't know what to do.. Please help me!! I have a great record from FL (I only been giving a ticket once when I was like 20 and the charges were dropped) and now here I'm being stop by the same guy twice!! Is it because I'm from FL and maybe that I'm Spanish?? I hate to say this but I'm super sadden by this I don't have the money to afford this... I'm just a college graduate with her first big job. I think he thinks I must have a lot of money because who I work for or because I travel all the time but unfortunately I don't!! Should I get a lawyer to fight these two tickets off? or should I do it myself? I'm so afraid of being called a liar but that is the honest truth, please HELP!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 02:41 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,109 times
Find out of the town court where you were issued the tickets accepts no guilty pleas. If they do, plead not guilty by mail and request a supporting deposition if you have that option on the ticket. You will then get a court date in the mail, which you would then have to show up to, and the DA will give you the option of pleading guilty to a lesser charge. If the cop doesnt show up after you requested a supporting deposition, then it should get completely dropped. Sounds like this guy is an a$$hole anyways like most troopers with nothing better to do, so maybe you'll get lucky and he won't show.

If the town doesn't offer not guilty pleas, I'd say get a lawyer.

Oh, and was it a 55 or 65 zone where you were caught?

Old 11-15-2010, 05:35 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,163 times
[quote=OverTaxedInNY;16663500]
Oh, and was it a 55 or 65 zone where you were caught?[/quote]

Thats a good question. Most troopers and cops I know wont pull someone over for going 70 in a 65 but if you were in a 55 they would pull you over so quick. Its dangerous. I never set my cruise control because one minute the speed limit is 65 then the next its 55.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:41 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
On that stretch is should be 65. I don't think it gets 55 until you reach either Corning or Rochester areas.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:36 AM

26 posts, read 65,210 times
Was it in a construction zone? If so, the charges could be much higher $$.

Go to court, as the above poster said, plead your case, and hope that the charges get reduced, at least. I highly doubt if it will get thrown out completely, but if your record is good, they may reduce the charges. Just pray that you weren't actually IN a construction zone at the time.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Find out of the town court where you were issued the tickets accepts no guilty pleas. If they do, plead not guilty by mail and request a supporting deposition if you have that option on the ticket. You will then get a court date in the mail, which you would then have to show up to, and the DA will give you the option of pleading guilty to a lesser charge. If the cop doesnt show up after you requested a supporting deposition, then it should get completely dropped. Sounds like this guy is an a$$hole anyways like most troopers with nothing better to do, so maybe you'll get lucky and he won't show.

If the town doesn't offer not guilty pleas, I'd say get a lawyer.

Oh, and was it a 55 or 65 zone where you were caught?

65.. it was in the 390 highway out on those towns its i81 i think, and yes I already plead not guilty, I'm waiting for the court date. I'm just so inexpierenced with those things I'm also thinking the Judge may think that stupid cop was right just because he stoppped me twice in a roll!! seriously what are the chances?? lol

Old 11-18-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaSue View Post
Was it in a construction zone? If so, the charges could be much higher $$.

Go to court, as the above poster said, plead your case, and hope that the charges get reduced, at least. I highly doubt if it will get thrown out completely, but if your record is good, they may reduce the charges. Just pray that you weren't actually IN a construction zone at the time.

No, it wasn't a construction where I was going tru, he was standing by one all the way in the other side far away from me, and I guess I will do that, its just going to be so much money either way I guess.. the only good thing so far is that i heard those points will not transfer to my FL insurance and license

Old 07-18-2013, 11:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,173 times
Default similar situation

hi,

i was in a similar situation last week .. i only got one ticket.. were you be able to successfully contest the ticket? i am from texas and i dont want to fly for contesting the ticket alone..

Old 07-19-2013, 10:38 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
A lot of towns will reduce speeding tix to "parking" violations in order to keep all the fine money. That's to your benefit, too, because you won't get points on your license and your insurance won't go up. However, it's gonna cost you a fat "parking" fine, though.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,789 times
I recieved a speeding ticket on the I86 doing 91mph on a 65 mpz in Bath, NY Steubin County. Can anyone tell me how the court system is there? I know there's a DA that offers point reduction but he goes by your driving record and i have a driving while impaired on my record from 3 years ago in Erie County... Will that ruin my chances to get my speeding ticket reduced ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area