Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 08:06 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I do not agree with you at all. I never see "frequent" snow storms in April. I still think you are blowing things out of proportion a bit. You get warm weather form mid May until September. I can't remember a "bad" summer. This is coming from somebody that hates heat too. I look forward to the mild weather. Its Mild in October, November, April and May. Its only really cold from December to March with a few days or weeks that make exception. Winter is not the longest at all. Sorry, I just can not agree with what you say.
That's ok, you can disagree with me. I've posted facts and you've done nothing but say, I don't believe it. If you can't remember snow in April, you must have just moved there.

By the way, if winter lasts from December through March (even ignoring April and November), isn't that four months? I believe that's certainly the longest season of the year. Have fun with it, especially when you get a snow storm most nights for four months, and then that last one in April, getting six inches. I'm sure you won't have to clean you car off at all though...it "might" be melted by 9am!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 08:22 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
I never said it did not snow in April. I said that we don't get constant snow storms in April like you claim.
The "facts" you posted do not represent the whole picture. You selectively chose data to make the place look cold all the time. And you also made several claims not backed by any facts.
There really is not a "longest" season as weather changes each year. Sometimes you get more snow than other years. Sometimes you get warmer weather than other years. Sometimes the fall like weather will linger longer.
We also do not get snow storms "most nights" for four months as you claim. Is that another one of your facts? I personally would prefer more months of snow so that I could extend the snowboarding season. But thats not the case.
If you prefer summer like weather, fine. But don't try to exaggerate because there are a couple months of cold weather.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:32 AM

I think you're mis-understanding what I'm saying. I never said it snows every day through April. I was trying to say that it frequently (throughout the years) will snow in April. It is not uncommon for it to snow through April...being that it may be one snowfall or two snowfalls, but they can even be toward the second half (or end) of April. I'm simply saying that when you get to April, you're not necessarily in the clear yet.

I'm not exaggerating, I'm saying that as far as in-the-clear warm weather goes, there is not a lot of it. There are more months of winter than summer in that winter is four - five months, summer is three months, and fall/spring can be two to three months...give or take. Last winter, I had to clean my car off at 6am most mornings. It may have been light or heavy, or ice or snow, but it was very frequent!

That's fine that you like cold weather...I like warm weather...therefore, I can see where our disagreement is. Enjoy the Rochester weather, I know I hope to never have to deal with it again!

Oh, I almost forgot, I never said it's cold all the time. I highlighted facts that were associated with what I thought was bad weather. I never said that my experiences were facts, they just supported what I found in facts from the weather service.

Last edited by AJNEOA; 09-06-2007 at 08:42 AM..

Old 09-06-2007, 08:50 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
Yea, it does snow in April ever year. I understand that point now.
I still can't agree that winter is longer. They seem to be about the same. You got your cold 4-5 months give or take a few days, then from May to September you get warm weather, give or take a few days.
If it were up to me, I'd take 6 months of constant snow so I could participate in winter sports then another 6 months of fall weather.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:15 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
summer ends on labor day and then after that its cold agian huh? Oh yeah, it's a bone chilling 82 degrees outside right now....at 11:20 in the morning.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:40 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I definitely agree that they're lows. However, you can't say that people are fully enjoying spring in April, as there are frequently snow storms, even toward the end. November gets cold. It does consistently freeze at night-time! That's a fact!

Rochester has a continental climate with extreme weather. Summers are warm and winters are cold. Summer lasts for three months, and there have been bad summers. I've heard complaints about the weather from family, friends, co-workers, random community members, etc over the years... If you like the weather in Rochester, that's fine. Don't try to make it into a five-month summer location though! Summer is bordered by short falls and springs and winter, on the other end, is the longest and most abundant season.
gotta call bs on this one...june-august is not the only "Warm" period in Rochester, or the only "non-winter" times....realistically, April is an anything goes month....its not uncommon for there to be days where the high only gets into the 40's or 50's, but its also not uncommon for the high to get into the 70's. April is the month where the old saying "If you don't like the weather in Rochester, wait 15 minutes and it will change" holds true the most. May is warm (usually upper 60's to mid 70's first half of the month, mid 70's to low 80's second half), June, July, and August temps range from the upper 70's to the occasional 90's, September usually has quite a few 80 degree days, and even a few 90 degree days (like today and tomorrow)....by the end of September, you are into fall...an albeit cool, yet very beautiful time of year in Rochester....October you're looking at highs in the 50's and 60's, so it's not "cold", yes, lows can and will get down to the 30's and you will occasionally get an overnight dusting of snow in late october...that lasts till about 9am. In all reality, "winter" in Rochester is realstically more like mid-late november, through March....that's 5 months, not 6, and definitely NOT 9....I can't help but roll my eyes and think a person is truly a moron when they say that Rochester has "9 months of winter" As if it's cold and snowy and dreary every day from September 1 to May 31....give me a break!

Old 09-06-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
summer ends on labor day and then after that its cold agian huh? Oh yeah, it's a bone chilling 82 degrees outside right now....at 11:20 in the morning.
I never said it doesn't stay warm in September or that it drops down to cold again right away. 82 on September 6th is above the average for Rochester. You're getting into the fall season, and the beginning is warm. Instead of making snide remarks, why don't you at least try to understand what I was saying? People that like the cold like Rochester. I always said that was fine. A lot of people like it warmer. That's fine too.

It does nothing but discredit every other post you put in these forums if make punchy, emotional comments like that.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
gotta call bs on this one...june-august is not the only "Warm" period in Rochester, or the only "non-winter" times....realistically, April is an anything goes month....its not uncommon for there to be days where the high only gets into the 40's or 50's, but its also not uncommon for the high to get into the 70's. April is the month where the old saying "If you don't like the weather in Rochester, wait 15 minutes and it will change" holds true the most. May is warm (usually upper 60's to mid 70's first half of the month, mid 70's to low 80's second half), June, July, and August temps range from the upper 70's to the occasional 90's, September usually has quite a few 80 degree days, and even a few 90 degree days (like today and tomorrow)....by the end of September, you are into fall...an albeit cool, yet very beautiful time of year in Rochester....October you're looking at highs in the 50's and 60's, so it's not "cold", yes, lows can and will get down to the 30's and you will occasionally get an overnight dusting of snow in late october...that lasts till about 9am. In all reality, "winter" in Rochester is realstically more like mid-late november, through March....that's 5 months, not 6, and definitely NOT 9....I can't help but roll my eyes and think a person is truly a moron when they say that Rochester has "9 months of winter" As if it's cold and snowy and dreary every day from September 1 to May 31....give me a break!
Great, we've established that you like Rochester and its weather. That's surprising. Sounds like you pointed out what I was saying: Winter weather lasts longer that summer weather (Hot compared to Cold). Yes, there are warm months in between. Rochester is just not known for its hot, long summers...traditionally it's known for its snowy, lake-effect and longer than average winters. For someone that likes warm/hot weather, they will not like Rochester's. For someone who dislikes the heat, they will love it. Fair?

Old 09-06-2007, 10:16 AM

350 posts, read 1,090,639 times
Lots of "interesting" discussion about the weather .... If weather is a primary factor for where you choose to live, then Rochester may not be the best choice for those that prefer a mild winter, and don't mind scorching hot summers that usually accompany many locations with a mild winter. It's silly to try and defend the weather somewhere -- some people are just very focused on the weather as a primary factor for where they choose to live.

If however, you consider other factors that contribute to a quality of life besides weather, then I think that the Rochester area has a lot to offer in terms of a good quality of life (as previously detailed in these threads) -- depending on whether you are able to find a good job, as the economy is lagging behind many other high growth areas.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:46 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Well, first off, Miami weather is not terrible for six months. Here are some averages for you:

Average Weather for Miami, FL - Temperature and Precipitation

Secondly, I suppose good weather is just an opinion. I lived there for nearly 30 years, and I hate Rochester weather. If you like snow or cold weather, then I suppose Western NY is for you. It often snows through April, especially when you've had enough of the snow, another storm rips through. May is cool still, mostly comprising of moderate rainy days, where lows still dip into the low 40s. You can really only count on Memorial Day to Labor Day, as there have been MANY summers that have been cold on both ends. Oh, and let's not forget everyone freaking out during the cold summers because they have to wait a very long time for the next one. Then, you lose your summer to have 60 days of fall, and then it's freezing again in early November.

It may have been nice yesterday, but the average weather in Rochester is no fun:

Average Weather for Rochester, NY - Temperature and Precipitation

No, thanks, you can have it!
Miami weather with it's constant rain in the summer and high humidity, is horrible for 6 months like I said. Thanks for proving my point! Rochester does have cold winter but not exactly terribly cold, I think it is extremely pleasent MOST of the year, about 9 months or so. Sounds like you would love Houston weather (where I go to school now).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area