Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 02:00 PM

10 posts, read 19,959 times

Advertisements

Hello! I currently live in westchester county but have been thinking about relocating to a different region for a while now. I live near nyc and just feel as if everything in this area is so expensive, overpriced and crowded. I'm not too happy with where I live currently & feel as if I'm not heading anywhere. This august I'll be turning 23 and just want the opportunity to get away and live on my own for a change. I have been looking into Rochester for some time and wanted to find out if this is a nice area for a young college student like myself. Is the cost of living low and how is the job market? Is this an affordable region and is there a lot of crime in the area? Would this be a good area for someone who is a nondriver like myself and if not, what other areas of NY or the country would you recommend? Also, are there any good nursing schools (preferably practical nursing) that are available in the area? Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 02:16 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vividvirgo View Post
Hello! I currently live in westchester county but have been thinking about relocating to a different region for a while now. I live near nyc and just feel as if everything in this area is so expensive, overpriced and crowded. I'm not too happy with where I live currently & feel as if I'm not heading anywhere. This august I'll be turning 23 and just want the opportunity to get away and live on my own for a change. I have been looking into Rochester for some time and wanted to find out if this is a nice area for a young college student like myself. Is the cost of living low and how is the job market? Is this an affordable region and is there a lot of crime in the area? Would this be a good area for someone who is a nondriver like myself and if not, what other areas of NY or the country would you recommend? Also, are there any good nursing schools (preferably practical nursing) that are available in the area? Thanks in advance
Brockport and UofR offer nursing programs. Nazereth offers a master's in nursing. I think MCC might be offering a decent to good nursing program with some form or another of bachelor's option.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:39 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
You need to learn to drive.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:32 PM

10 posts, read 19,959 times
Thanks for the replies. I wish i could drive but i have vision problems & a bad sense of direction.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:05 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Living without a car would be difficult but not impossible. It would be most doable if you were living in a convenient city neighborhood like Park Avenue where you can walk to grocery stores and restaurants and the like. Just be aware though, that it is NOT new york city. Everything is not at your fingertips here like it is there; the public transportation is not nearly as extensive and not everything is as walkable. Granted this can be said for about 99% of the country when compared to New York City.

To answer some of your other questions though;

Yes, the COL here is very reasonable, especially compared to NYC. The aforementioned Park Avenue area of the city is made up largely of people in your same demographic (young, recent college grads). The job market here isn't great but we do have higher job growth and lower unemployment than the national average; so it's all relative I guess. Definitely don't move without a job lined up though.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:08 PM

59 posts, read 235,201 times
I'm on my second year here as a non driving grad student. I'minformed2 describes it right: it'd doable, but things are not at your fingertips...or, toe tips. You can't just walk everywhere. I bike, year round, for groceries too, but it's a tough go when the temps drop and snow falls.

If you're a UR student, you could pull it off with the UR bus service, that will take you back and forth to great neighborhoods and back to campus, and even to grocery/mall type places.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:40 AM

8 posts, read 34,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
You need to learn to drive.
I don't drive, and I get around all right. Whenever I encounter people with your attitude, I find out a few things, like you don't even know about the transportation options available or think the buses are all filled with noisy thugs. Someone from NYC isn't going to have a problem with Rochester buses.

Living without a car in the suburbs around here is difficult but possible. Rochester might not have the best system in the country, but you can definitely get around without a car, especially if you're already used to doing it elsewhere.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:11 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
It's not an attitude. It's an opinion.

I depended on the Rochester bus system until I was 27. I started working downtown at age 17. I lived in the city.

IF you can drive, it does make life much easier. Otherwise, you do have to very carefully research the area as far as the bus system and crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock City View Post
I don't drive, and I get around all right. Whenever I encounter people with your attitude, I find out a few things, like you don't even know about the transportation options available or think the buses are all filled with noisy thugs. Someone from NYC isn't going to have a problem with Rochester buses.

Living without a car in the suburbs around here is difficult but possible. Rochester might not have the best system in the country, but you can definitely get around without a car, especially if you're already used to doing it elsewhere.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:33 PM

19 posts, read 29,278 times
It is a little difficult to live in Rochester without a car, but definitely doable.

I would recommend living in the Park Avenue area between Goodman and Culver. You have easy access to shopping, dining, banks, and several convenient and small grocery stores as well as a CVS. It also has several bus stops for when you need to go grocery shopping (it's nearly a straight shot to the East Ave Wegmans on the 1 bus). The cost of living in that area is fairly reasonable as well and it is extremely safe.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:23 AM

5,679 posts, read 4,081,937 times
The South Wedge would be a good area to check out too. It's also close to UR. BTW, as far as jobs go, Rochester has 11,000 new jobs compaired to last year. Third best growth in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area