U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 10:27 AM

262 posts, read 814,332 times
Default Winter in Rochester vs. winter on LI

Would anyone care to compare the two? I am thinking about relocating and Rochester is on our list but I am not a big fan of winter.
How much snow does Rochester get?
How long do the winters last? I don't think I will be very happy if I'm still shoveling snow in the middle of April.
On LI they close down the schools if there is 6 inches or more. (My father, who lives in Vermont, laughs at us for that). What does it take to close schools in Rochester? I'm a teacher so that information is important. Although, if they do a good job clearing the roads I don't care about driving in it.
How early in the season does it snow and how low can the temps get?

Don't mean to sound like a whiner! I know upstate NY has a lot to offer like beautiful autumns, mountains and lakes. I Just want to be prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2006, 10:54 AM

5,265 posts, read 10,048,165 times
Snow and Rochester are practicly synonims. lol. "winter", when there is a lot of snow; would typically be from mid november to late march. First snow of the season can happen any time from late october to as late as mid november, and usually the last time you will see any snow is early April, sometime even late March. It would not be typical for you to have to clear snow from your driveway by then. When it does snow in april, it's usually only a dusting of slushy stuff that is gone in less than a day. It takes a good 12+ inches of snow to close schools in Rochester; and the roads are usually cleared within just a few hours even after a large snowfall. I live in NC now (but I'm moving back to Rochester soon), and our kids usually get more snowdays down here than up there! To answer your real question though; YES, it does snow way more upstate than on Long Island; but it's usually not much of a problem. Blizzards aren't too common, and the Nor'easters usually stop in Syracuse and never make it as far west as Rochester or Buffalo. Rochester's snow is almost all "lake effect". Which is usually gently falling snow, it can be pretty heavy sometimes, but it's usually not "wind driven". A neat thing about the lake effect is that it allows for a good "indian summer" now and then. If Lake Ontario freezes over after a period of below freezing temps for a while, the lake effect machine shuts off, the sun comes out, and the temperatures can get into the 50's and 60's.

Old 08-20-2006, 11:03 AM

I've heard of that "lake effect" weather. It sounds nice.
My brother lives in NC. I know the whole place can shut down from a couple of inches. Last year they had three inches and some of the kids had to stay over night in their schools because their parents couldn't pick them up. So sad. Welcome back to NY!

Old 08-20-2006, 01:04 PM

944 posts, read 2,682,922 times
What's so nice about Rochester (and Buf - Syr too) is that the municipalities are very well prepared to remove the snow. Yes, it snows a lot, but the crews work around the clock to keep roads and sidewalks clear.

Ditto on "lake effect." It's very soft and peaceful.

If you've never stood and watched as the town snow plow seals off the bottom of your driveway just after you've finished clearing it, you're in for a treat!

Old 08-20-2006, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymom View Post
I've heard of that "lake effect" weather. It sounds nice.
My brother lives in NC. I know the whole place can shut down from a couple of inches. Last year they had three inches and some of the kids had to stay over night in their schools because their parents couldn't pick them up. So sad. Welcome back to NY!
Thanks... and yes I remember that day; but you were wrong on one thing, it wasn't 3 inches of snow; it was .7 (YES, there is a decimal in front of that number).

Old 08-20-2006, 08:28 PM

eek!...that's pretty pathetic.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:36 PM

Tell me about it. That was when I seriously seriously started wanting to move back North.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:24 AM

338 posts, read 943,525 times
Snow in Rochester is NOTHING compared to snow in Buffalo. Snow is worst on the upper half of Rochester right on the lake-like effect is big flakes, sometimes lots of it- Rochester is not too bad for the most part.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:50 PM

i'minformed, I hope you make it back before the leaves change. I hear the colors are not nearly as brilliant as they are here in the north.

Old 08-21-2006, 09:18 PM

Oh that is definitley true; and sadly, I won't make it before this fall. I was planning on moving back this summer, but have come to the realization that it would be best for my oldest son to finish his senior year here. We will surely be back up next summer though. My daughter will be a sophomore, and my younger son will be starting pre-school, and my oldest son willl be starting school. Probably a school in NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area