U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 08:08 AM

56,251 posts, read 80,408,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggz View Post
As long as african-americans (and most other racial minorities) keep voting for democratic party candidates in numbers that would make Stalin blush, the notion that a major northern american city will one day be governed by republicans is a pipe dream. The modern republican party (party of Lincoln, anyone?) has little to no appeal to urban minorities, ceding this territory to the democrats across the north. The real question here IMHO is whether a conservative, moderate or "progressive" democrat is elected mayor or rochester.

As long as the city is forced to compete with Monroe County (instead of the two working cooperatively together) for economic opportunities, it will continue on a downward trend.
I think the reason why African Americans vote democratic is a lack of interest from republicans as well. So, I don't think it's just that they don't want to vote in various ways. In fact, Blacks were split between both partis in the early 20th century. What changed that was the shift of politicians like Strom Thurmond to the Republican party from the Democratic party(really Dixiecratic party). I think the party has changed from it's Lincoln days, as it was seen as the "progressive" party at the time.

I agree with I'minformed, that it really is irrelevant, as you need a mayor with the best interests of the city to help govern it. Both parties have actually had their hands in hurting NY politics, if you look at the history. so, it's not just a Democratic thing in that regard for NY State.

I also agree that Upstate NY cities and their counties need to have a real life relationship to move the area forward. There does seem to be a disconnect between those cities and the counties they are in. So, there needs to be an improvement in terms of that relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 08:13 AM

Also, it is hard to find a Republican mayor in any major city, even in the South, to be honest. They are there, but you have to really look.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:36 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,872,762 times
Raleigh, Durham, and Charlotte have had Democratic mayors for as long as I ever lived down there. Atlanta has a Democratic mayor. There are actually very few large cities anywhere in the country with republican mayors; again with the ironic exception the New York City, the nation's largest and one of the most liberal.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:17 PM

18,614 posts, read 16,380,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggz View Post
As long as african-americans (and most other racial minorities) keep voting for democratic party candidates in numbers that would make Stalin blush, the notion that a major northern american city will one day be governed by republicans is a pipe dream. The modern republican party (party of Lincoln, anyone?) has little to no appeal to urban minorities, ceding this territory to the democrats across the north. The real question here IMHO is whether a conservative, moderate or "progressive" democrat is elected mayor or rochester.

As long as the city is forced to compete with Monroe County (instead of the two working cooperatively together) for economic opportunities, it will continue on a downward trend.
Most blacks are concentrated in the South and that region is solidly Republican. Blame white northern liberals for the Democrats power.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:20 PM

18,614 posts, read 16,380,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think the reason why African Americans vote democratic is a lack of interest from republicans as well. So, I don't think it's just that they don't want to vote in various ways. In fact, Blacks were split between both partis in the early 20th century. What changed that was the shift of politicians like Strom Thurmond to the Republican party from the Democratic party(really Dixiecratic party). I think the party has changed from it's Lincoln days, as it was seen as the "progressive" party at the time.

I agree with I'minformed, that it really is irrelevant, as you need a mayor with the best interests of the city to help govern it. Both parties have actually had their hands in hurting NY politics, if you look at the history. so, it's not just a Democratic thing in that regard for NY State.

I also agree that Upstate NY cities and their counties need to have a real life relationship to move the area forward. There does seem to be a disconnect between those cities and the counties they are in. So, there needs to be an improvement in terms of that relationship.
There was more diverse political thought within the Black community then. Even after th Civil War, Blacks were not monolithically behind the GOP as Blacks are now behind the Dems.

Now Blacks who go for the GOP are branded sellouts, Uncle Toms etc.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:33 PM

93 posts, read 198,008 times
Sadly, all too true. As a fan of Thomas Sowell, Walter Williams and John McWhorter, I have caught a glimpse of this phenomenon.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
There was more diverse political thought within the Black community then. Even after th Civil War, Blacks were not monolithically behind the GOP as Blacks are now behind the Dems.

Now Blacks who go for the GOP are branded sellouts, Uncle Toms etc.
It depends as some can be and some aren't. Also, the Republican party has changed from it's early times just before the Civil War. So, while history is what it is, the attitude of a party can change over time.

By the way, Troy's mayor is a Republican: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Tutunjian

Utica had a Republican mayor for a 30 year stretch until David Roefaro took office in 2007: http://www.cityofutica.com/Mayor/

Plattsburgh had an openly gay mayor that was a Republican as well and the current mayor is a Republican: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plattsb...ork#Government
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Stewart_(politician)

So much for the "White liberal card" for NY State, as Republicans have been a majority in state politics at times as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-24-2011 at 02:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area