U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 02:07 PM

9 posts, read 8,491 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I have been lurking around this forum for awhile and decided to make a post of my own. My husband and I may be moving to Rochester (from Buffalo) in the upcoming months and are having a hard time finding upscale apartment complexes. We have primarily been looking in the suburbs (Pittsford and Henrietta in particular) but haven't found quite what we were looking for.

My husband would be working at Strong so we would like to be within a 20-25 minute drive of the hospital. I've heard there are some nice rentals in the city, but we prefer the suburbs and were hoping to find something there. Ideally we would want to pay no more than $1,500 a month (not including cable/utilities/etc).

Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 08:29 PM

18,624 posts, read 16,428,799 times
I lived at 1600 East Avenue one year when I went to the U of R. I paid about $800 for a studio everything included. My friend paid $1,000 for a 1 BR.

Supposedly that building is what passes for upscale within the city limits of Rochester. It has a part time doorman, laundry, covered garage.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:15 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,616,697 times
Sounds like she wants something that's modern upscale, not something that was upscale in 1920 and is now just a drafty old apartment with old time character and aesthetic appeal. Living in one of those units is definitely not upscale living.

To MNVJ, I would suggest searching google for "luxury apartments rochester NY", looks like a few different complexes appeared for me doing that. I don't there are that many upscale living complexes anywhere in the region, people who want to pay a higher amount for an apartment typically either go for a loft, or they just go right for a house and mortgage.

Speaking of houses, your other option could be to see if there are any homes for rent in areas like Webster, Brighton, Fairport, Pittsford/Penfield, etc. Good luck in your search.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:33 AM

205 posts, read 403,482 times
I kinda agree with OverTax, is your definition of UPSCALE mean modern too? Please clarify...

If it does, then the suburbs are more likely your thing. Although there are some upscale modern digs in the city...

However, if your view of upscale is more about granite, nice appliances, and well-kept, you can certainly find that in the city. This is my preference because I also like 1900's architecture a great deal. To me, there is nothing of that quality built these days.. But that's not for everyone.

For this type of set-up in an older house, look along East Ave.

I believe another big consideration should be surroundings. If you like walking to things, that will steer you toward certain parts of the city such as East Ave / Park Ave or Monroe Ave. You should also consider the suburb / town of Fairport or the Village of Pittsford (also a close-in suburb). Technically, Brighton is walkable also - but not nearly as quaint as the others listed.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:53 AM

56,605 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Check this website out: Rochester NY apartments, Buffalo apartments, Syracuse apartments, Albany NY apartments listings from The Renters Guide

Old 02-03-2011, 03:08 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,058,318 times
there are townhomes in Fairport call "The Hammocks" or something like that...they are very nice and close to shopping, the village, etc. If you goggle Fairport NY The Hammocks it should bring up their website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area