Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,646 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I relocated to Pittsburgh, PA, Sept. 1, 2000. I don't get the chance to come back very often (cost), but the last time was in October (2010).
Some of the things I love best (not ranked, except for the first two): Highland Park, Lilac Festival, the Rose Garden across from Nazareth Academy on Lake Ave., the beaches, the carousel at Charlotte, being close to Canada and to Buffalo, Buffalo Bills games and freezing to death watching them live, Seven Lily soup at Rohrbach's, camping around NYS (especially sleeping under the stars), walks by the beach VERY early in the morning or at night, Abbotts icecream, going to the Crescent Bch Hotel for dessert (their dinners last two times were not great), picnicking anywhere, going to Red Wings games, enjoying a sausage in the sunshine at the Lilac Festival (or sharing a Funnel Cake), milling around the Public Market on Saturdays, having a bagel somewhere on a weekend morning (especially in Pittsford), driving past someone using their fireplae on a cold Winter night or a crisp Fall night, going to the Naples Grape Festival, or the Hilton Apple Festival or any church or ethnic festival (especially in the Summer)...
Give me the low down on anything. I'm pretty desperate for any hometown news.
Hopefully I can celebrate my 50th birthday in my hometown!

Last edited by Sparkley1; 02-27-2011 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: hit the wrong key
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 09:06 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Well, just about everything you mentioned is still here....except that Crescent filed for bankruptcy and is now closed.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:51 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,321,234 times
You should move back!

Old 02-28-2011, 07:13 AM

Or at least come for a visit! Festival season starts in a couple months; sounds like most of the things you miss are festival/summer related, why not stop by for a nice visit this summer!

Old 02-28-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Festival season starts in a couple months
Very true! Speaking of festivals, has anyone been to the "Taste of Rochester" festival? I know Buffalo has their own "taste of..." festival that's supposed to be really good.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:37 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,109 times
Pretty sure Crescent Beach got all the tidied up and reopened shortly after the news came out about their financial issues. Not that I care, they're one of the most overrated joints in the entire area anyways.

Oh, and Charlotte has little to be desired anymore. It's gone downhill as fast or faster than any other area of Rochester.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:28 PM

When was the last time you were at Charlotte? Your statement would be true if it were made in 1995, but there are plenty of restaurants and shops on Lake and Beach avenues that are worth while. Abbots is still there (Both of them) and strong as ever; and Ontario Beach Park is still busy on hot summer days (even the no-swimming days ironically enough)

Old 02-28-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
When was the last time you were at Charlotte? Your statement would be true if it were made in 1995, but there are plenty of restaurants and shops on Lake and Beach avenues that are worth while. Abbots is still there (Both of them) and strong as ever; and Ontario Beach Park is still busy on hot summer days (even the no-swimming days ironically enough)
So true. Without being too rude, it seems that Overtaxed just needs to insult the City of Rochester at any chance he gets, and it's getting progressively worse each time. It went from constructive criticism when he first joined this forum, to what now seems to be unwarranted lies that are only meant to attack and degrade the city. Overtaxed, are you angry about something? Nobody could be this negative about their city...

Old 02-28-2011, 06:13 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,109 times
I was there last summer, sometime in late July actually. Abbots, Harbor Hots, Nolas, and a few other small joints is all it has going for it. The park itself is a disaster. Go there on a weekend evening in the middle of summer to see what I'm talking about.

Moderator cut: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Nobody here cares to see it for what it really is though, so I don't even know why I bother.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 03-01-2011 at 03:39 PM..

Old 02-28-2011, 10:04 PM

233 posts, read 685,442 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned: post you were quoting/replying to has been deleted

About Taste of Rochester: I went last summer. They had the shaved ice cream I liked, along with other local vendors like Zebbs. You have to buy tickets to exchange for food (I don't know how they work that out financially at the end of the day). It's on a small stretch of downtown, parking's a disaster, everything can be done in 30 minutes to one hour, tops. The food was tasty, and coupons were being handed out left and right. Just don't look into the green, slimey waters of High Falls, lest you lose your appetite.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 03-01-2011 at 03:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area