U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:20 AM

24 posts, read 51,758 times

Advertisements

We don't have school aged kids just yet. Our oldest will be in school in about three years, so I'm not too concerned about schools just yet. Our youngest isn't born yet, so we have a while for him. We'll probably move to a suburb when the time draws closer for school.

As for neighborhoods, we will definitely check out Southwedge and the White Coat Ghetto if we do indeed move here. It seems harder to find entire homes for rent in the White Coat Ghetto though.

My husband will be attending UofR, assuming he's accepted. He is applying to other graduate schools as well, but Uof R is our top choice. Any chance any of your know how hard it is to be accepted into the Bioengineering Doctorate program? Meaning, is there a lot of tough competition in that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 09:31 AM

24 posts, read 51,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
The 19th Ward has one area which is decent and safe, roughly bordering the canal and in towards Genesee Park Blvd. Other threads in this forum describe the 19th in more detail so you can use the search option and see if it fits your lifestyle and family situation.

$30K net income is pushing it with young kids in Rochester. You have to be careful with rentals as the gas & electric could be bad during the winter. Ask for previous bills from the landlord or RG&E. Living near to UofR one must take into consideration where the stores are located, and the nearest supermarkets would be Tops in Brighton (S. Clinton), Wegmans on Lyell (Town of Gates), and Tops on West Avenue (city). Point being they're not within walking distance and using the bus to get there is a non-starter as the routes are not direct. So you definitely would need a car for errands.
Howard,
We'll probably steer clear of 19th ward. I checked out the other threads and I don't think I want to be surrounded by rough areas. Not with young kids and my husband biking and walking to school.

I'm curious though, is winter heat fueled by electricity or oil? For some reason, I had it in my head that you used oil for heat in the East. What is considered high for gas and electricity in the winter? We live in AZ so from about late April through September our electricity bill runs about $300 (or more) a month and our home is only 1200 sq ft, so I'm not easily shocked by high utility bills. Is it higher than that?

Oh and we do have one car, so running errands won't be an issue. Thanks for the tip though.

I appreciate your input.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:02 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,611,130 times
How a home is heated usually depends on the age and location. My house in the suburb of Greece, along with most other homes, use natural gas furnaces. A buddy of mine lives in Irondequoit and his home uses a boiler and radiator system. I think a lot of city homes probably utilize a boiler and radiator as well. Usually the only place you'll find oil heat is in an rural area.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:47 AM

9 posts, read 30,155 times
Default You can live for that

30000 is enough to live in Rochester. The White Coat area is housing south of the hospital but make sure you stay east of the river. At this income the White Coat area would be a great place to live and should be an easy walk to work. If you had more money then Brighton would be a clear choice, but since you are not concerned about school districts and are on a limited budget the White Coat area would be perfect. Your kids will definitely appreciate you taking more time to raise them!

Old 04-21-2011, 12:09 PM

145 posts, read 378,766 times
It's cold/chilly 8 months out of the year. Terrible weather in western ny, I hate it here and would move instantly if i could.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:23 PM

4,556 posts, read 7,027,162 times
Isn't it just Jan-Feb-March that are the worst. I mean, Nov/Dec gets somewhat cold but really not that much snow, and it goes along with the holidays. I think it's really just 3 months you have to get thru. May-Oct are pretty nice.

And one thing about the area, it doesn't have tornadoes, earthquakes, wildfires, floods, wind storms, lightning storms, etc. Granted it's gloomy, not much sun, in the winter but it's a pretty safe place to live, weather wise.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:26 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,875,993 times
yeah 8 months is a pretty extreme exaggeration. November is cold and cloudy and December gets a lot of snow (again though, not too bad considering the holiday season) and then it's pretty gloomy from January through March. April is hit or miss (though I'll admit this April has thus far mostly been a "miss"")and it is really beautiful here from May to October.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:34 PM

707 posts, read 1,291,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
yeah 8 months is a pretty extreme exaggeration. November is cold and cloudy and December gets a lot of snow (again though, not too bad considering the holiday season) and then it's pretty gloomy from January through March. April is hit or miss (though I'll admit this April has thus far mostly been a "miss"")and it is really beautiful here from May to October.
Before I moved back this past December. My husband and I came up and got married! It was 50-55ish in the middle of November and sunny but it does get into the 40 and even 30s. December is not bad because of the holidays, i lived 5 years without snow during christmas, worst time of my life! January and February are pretty bad and well March and April have always been bipolar, 50-55 one day 30-32 the next, 75 and sunny one day and snowing the next. But I agree May-October is perfect.

After Living in 90-100 degree weather for 8-9 months out of the year (not an exaggeration) I appreciate the 4 months of cold and then 6 months of 70-85 degree weather (with the few days where it gets into the 90)

Old 04-22-2011, 11:55 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,649,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reese8089 View Post
Howard,
We'll probably steer clear of 19th ward. I checked out the other threads and I don't think I want to be surrounded by rough areas. Not with young kids and my husband biking and walking to school.

I'm curious though, is winter heat fueled by electricity or oil? For some reason, I had it in my head that you used oil for heat in the East. What is considered high for gas and electricity in the winter? We live in AZ so from about late April through September our electricity bill runs about $300 (or more) a month and our home is only 1200 sq ft, so I'm not easily shocked by high utility bills. Is it higher than that?

Oh and we do have one car, so running errands won't be an issue. Thanks for the tip though.

I appreciate your input.
Yeah, I hear all the 19th Ward drama from my dad and his fiancee. Basically, just stay to one side of the river near to UofR and you'll be fine.

Your summer bills in Rochester will be tiny, unless you run the A/C 24/7 which I'd imagine would be next to impossible.

$300 for winter heat and electric in Rochester would be for a poorly insulated house with cruddy windows. I'd imagine most folks have a bill in the $120-$200 range, depending on the size of the house.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:55 AM

1,030 posts, read 2,766,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChris View Post
It's cold/chilly 8 months out of the year. Terrible weather in western ny, I hate it here and would move instantly if i could.
yes the weather is atrocious and makes for some miserable living from Nov to well this year, it could be June from the looks of it .....and this past winter, there was no break as snow began in Nov and melted in March and now it's rained for a month.....niceeeeeeee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area