Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 06:06 PM

24 posts, read 62,904 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My family might be moving to Rochester from Arizona next year. Needless to say, we will have some adjusting to do in terms of weather and I'm sure even culture. We are excited for the change because Rochester sounds great. I do, however, need some help planning in terms of expenses.

My husband and I both work full time right now and we bring home just under 50K after taxes and medical insurance deductions. After we move, I'd like to work only part time so I can be with our kids more and my husband will be studying for his Doctorate degree with a stipend to help support us. What is the average family income in Rochester? I'm hoping we can live on $30K a year. Does this seem reasonable?

I have a good idea of some of our expenses as it does not seem like they will change that much. I don't, however, know how much utilities will run, how much auto gas we will use and how much oil (for heat in the winter) will cost. Could any of you give me an idea of what those three things usually calculate to in an average size three bedroom home and one car commuting no more than fifteen miles each day?

I'm also curious if Rochester has any farmers markets, as our family tries to eat mainly whole and organic foods. Are organic foods readily available in your local markets?

Lastly, what are some safe, affordable neighborhoods? We are looking to pay no more than $900/month in rent. Is that do-able?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 07:24 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reese8089 View Post
Hi all! My family might be moving to Rochester from Arizona next year. Needless to say, we will have some adjusting to do in terms of weather and I'm sure even culture. We are excited for the change because Rochester sounds great. I do, however, need some help planning in terms of expenses.

My husband and I both work full time right now and we bring home just under 50K after taxes and medical insurance deductions. After we move, I'd like to work only part time so I can be with our kids more and my husband will be studying for his Doctorate degree with a stipend to help support us. What is the average family income in Rochester? I'm hoping we can live on $30K a year. Does this seem reasonable?

I have a good idea of some of our expenses as it does not seem like they will change that much. I don't, however, know how much utilities will run, how much auto gas we will use and how much oil (for heat in the winter) will cost. Could any of you give me an idea of what those three things usually calculate to in an average size three bedroom home and one car commuting no more than fifteen miles each day?

I'm also curious if Rochester has any farmers markets, as our family tries to eat mainly whole and organic foods. Are organic foods readily available in your local markets?

Lastly, what are some safe, affordable neighborhoods? We are looking to pay no more than $900/month in rent. Is that do-able?

Thanks in advance!

I wouldnt prefer to live on 30k a year but its doable.

Rochester has the best farmers market in America. Wegmans also has a huge organic food section. Rochester's Public Market Is Best in America - Rochester, News, Weather, Sports, and Events - 13WHAM.com

Old 03-15-2011, 06:19 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,883 times
Are you talking $30k take home, or $30k gross? Take home, you could feasibly do it if you have NO other outstanding debt and don't want your kids to have nice things and a nice Christmas. If you're talking $30k gross, which would net about 22k I believe after taxes, well it's gonna be real tight, especially if you have any auto loans, credit cards, etc. that you're also paying. You figure about 40% of your income will go towards rent alone. As far as rent, good luck finding a 3 bedroom anything for $900 that you won't feel bad about your kids living in.

If you have school age kids, at least get a part time job at Wegmans (the local supermarket) or something to work while they're at school.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:03 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
You can view apartments here: www.rochester.therentersguide.com or try here: www.therentersguide.com

Old 03-15-2011, 09:07 AM

Yes, I did mean $30K after taxes and we don't have any outstanding debt besides one small car payment. I do plan to work and if its possible, I would like to work only part time, but if its necessary I will work full time. I'm just trying to plan so nothing is set in stone. If $30K after tax seems too low, then what is more realistic?

As for the rent, I've seen some decent looking homes for about $900 to $1000 a month in rent in Southwedge and 19th ward. Are those not good areas? If not, what are some good areas not far from U of R? My husband will be mainly biking and using the bus to get to school.

Thanks.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:05 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
Well, Southwedge is a nice neighborhood, however if you have school-aged children you probably would not want them going to city schools in their current state. Though it is a little more expensive, you might want to look towards the suburb of Brighton. It is still very close to UofR and has some of the best schools in the country.

However, if your children are still really young and won't be in school for a couple of years, it would be more economical to rent in a city neighborhood closer to the University (Southwedge, Highland, Ellwanger-Berry; all safe and family friendly neighborhoods; the 19th ward is decent but the area surrounding it is pretty rough). And if you are bringing home $30k after taxes then you should be able to do fine living modestly. Especially if your husband is riding his bike or walking to work most of the time. Heck with the way gas prices are now you could probably live at a higher standard than someone who makes 50 or 60k a year who drives a gas guzzler. lol. (note, to all who may jump down my throat and hurl out numbers at me because of that last statement, it was made in jest)

Old 03-15-2011, 12:28 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,883 times
It may have been made in jest, but driving a gas guzzler, it certainly holds some truth lol

Old 03-15-2011, 12:38 PM

1,886 posts, read 3,448,151 times
The 19th Ward has one area which is decent and safe, roughly bordering the canal and in towards Genesee Park Blvd. Other threads in this forum describe the 19th in more detail so you can use the search option and see if it fits your lifestyle and family situation.

The South Wedge is OK to nice in spots, and has a decent elementary school (one of the best in the city). The city school district is one of the worst in the country, so one must be careful when locating in the city if you have school-age kids. New York has city, town, and village schools, unlike other states which have county schools, so one must take that into consideration per personal preferences.

I'm assuming your husband will be at the UofR. Check out the "white coat ghetto", which is across from UofR/Strong Hospital. Rents over there are reasonable in the rental houses. It's a mix of rentals and owner-occupied houses over there. Raleigh Street sticks out in my mind as my brother-in-law lived there for a few years with some folks who were in doctorate programs. Close to there is Ellwanger/Barry, adjacent to Highland Park and Brighton. Not too many rentals over there but worth checking out.

$30K net income is pushing it with young kids in Rochester. You have to be careful with rentals as the gas & electric could be bad during the winter. Ask for previous bills from the landlord or RG&E. Living near to UofR one must take into consideration where the stores are located, and the nearest supermarkets would be Tops in Brighton (S. Clinton), Wegmans on Lyell (Town of Gates), and Tops on West Avenue (city). Point being they're not within walking distance and using the bus to get there is a non-starter as the routes are not direct. So you definitely would need a car for errands.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:24 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
Be sure to budget $96 for a family membership to The Strong, a great museum for children. It will give you unlimited visits all year: Membership | National Museum of Play

Old 03-15-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Be sure to budget $96 for a family membership to The Strong, a great museum for children. It will give you unlimited visits all year: Membership | National Museum of Play
I had not heard of that museum before now, so thank you so much for the tip. I'm assuming that is $96 per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area