Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 10:04 AM

10 posts, read 13,983 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to the Rochester area this summer for grad school at Nazareth College. My husband and I have one car, and would like not to buy another. We are coming from the biggest US city without public transportation and have been able to manage commuting, school, and all the rest with one car. I am wondering what the public transportation is like in Rochester and the surrounding areas. Also, how many people walk or bike to go places? How do people usually get around in the winter/snow?

I'm not sure yet where we will live, but I'd like to live near enough to the school and in a neighborhood that I can walk in. Somewhere that has cafes, grocery/market, bars, shops, art, yoga, "hipster kid" stuff if you will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 01:14 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,533,759 times
Well, Nazareth is actually in Pittsford, a wealthy suburb with a small village area that describes the neighborhood you would like to a T (walkable shops, restaurants, probably yoga); but it is a town made up of mostly middle aged folks and their kids. Yoga classes will probably be plentiful in Pittsford, but they will be mostly filled with stay at home moms and probably not many grad-school aged people. Pittsford Village is very close, perhaps walkable, to Nazareth though. I don't know what the prospects of finding a rental in Pittsford Village would be as it is mostly grand old tutor houses from the 1800's, perhaps some of them have upstairs rental units?

Old 03-15-2011, 01:15 PM

1,859 posts, read 3,407,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejuliaaa View Post
I'll be moving to the Rochester area this summer for grad school at Nazareth College. My husband and I have one car, and would like not to buy another. We are coming from the biggest US city without public transportation and have been able to manage commuting, school, and all the rest with one car. I am wondering what the public transportation is like in Rochester and the surrounding areas. Also, how many people walk or bike to go places? How do people usually get around in the winter/snow?

I'm not sure yet where we will live, but I'd like to live near enough to the school and in a neighborhood that I can walk in. Somewhere that has cafes, grocery/market, bars, shops, art, yoga, "hipster kid" stuff if you will.
Somewhere in the vicinity of Monroe/Park would fit the bill. Closer to Monroe would get you to within walking distance of the bus line, in fact it should be a direct shot to the campus from there. Lots of folks like the Monroe/N. Goodman area, and further down Monroe towards I-490, Culver, and the Town of Brighton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area