Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 05:35 PM

5,695 posts, read 4,090,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Greed runs rampant in this country dude, and part of it is the overtaxing of the working class, like landlords. In your case, as a struggling undergrad stressing his finals, I'd probably let you slide the lousy 14 days. Sounds like the new landlords are the kind of people that should just do the rest of us a favor and get hit by a fuggin bus.

My advice? Follow Rochester protocol and bust a cap in someones a$$, seems to be the norm.
I can't tell you how many times I've gotten burned helping tenants. Landlording is a business. There are huge bills to pay with little short term reward. Everyone has their sob story. Doesn't the landlord have a right to feed his family? Did the OP complain to the gas station about rising gasoline costs and try to cut a deal? He got himself into this mess. Did he ask family or friends to help you instead of a stranger? What I've found is that usually the family and freinds have already gotten burned and that's why the landlord is asked to provide the favor. Please forgive me if I am wrong, but I've been landlording since before you were born, and it's the same story 99% of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 07:33 PM

6 posts, read 12,129 times
It's one thing when the "sob story" is for some ridiculous request. I think asking for a single month at the same price we've been paying is incredibly reasonable. They should have raised the rent months ago if they actually needed more money. I'll continue to assume greed while I see them drive by every day in their Mercedes.

You also cite being screwed over as a landlord, but I will state again that we have been very good tenants and I feel we've earned some negotiation room. How would we possibly burn them by continuing to live there for just one more month?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY
Sounds like the new landlords are the kind of people that should just do the rest of us a favor and get hit by a fuggin bus.
Amen, brother!

Old 04-06-2011, 08:28 PM

169 posts, read 476,284 times
JWRocks is right. You signed a month to month lease (whether written or not, it is month to month - legal documents mean what they say like any other). This permitted the landlord to raise the rent upon adequate notice, which appears to have been met here with the 45 day window.

What you heard about regarding you ability to withhold rent implicates the covenant of habitability, which is implied in every rental agreement. Essentially, a landlord breaches this covenant when the premises become non-habitable; the landlord's prior breach excuses the tenant's non-payment of rent. From what you describe, the problems at the apartment do not appear to rise to this level and, accordingly, if you withhold rent and are sued, you are likely to lose. Will they sue you? Who knows.

If the rental agreement does not contain an attorneys fee clause, then you should not be liable for the landlord's attorneys fees. Read the agreement carefully.

I am a landlord too. And I believe what your landlords are pulling on you is pretty scummy as it appears they know they have you over a barrel and insist on squeezing you for a month. It amazes me what people will do to their own souls over a couple of hundred bucks.

Take this lesson with you through life and it will be worth a hell of a lot more to you.

Bottom line, I would try to bargain with them. I would offer $650 or $700 for May. Perhaps, they will be willing to take the extra rent out of your deposit.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:22 AM

1 posts, read 743 times
If you haven't already taken the advice to contact the Housing Council, I would do so NOW, as they are very, very busy and may do things by appontment, but irregardless of whether or not you need an appointment at this stage of things, you might want to be prepared to spend time just calling them to explain your situation. I do know that someone there will know the answer to all the things you are wondering about.
The person who reccommended you contact a real estate lawyer overlooked the important point that you are a college student on a budget and would probably just pay the extra rent if you could afford it, rather than pay $200/hour attorney's fees! In my experience, month-to-month leases are just what they say they are...nothing more than thirty days' written notice is required from either the tenant or the landlord to change something.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:40 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasileira View Post
If you haven't already taken the advice to contact the Housing Council, I would do so NOW, as they are very, very busy and may do things by appontment, but irregardless of whether or not you need an appointment at this stage of things, you might want to be prepared to spend time just calling them to explain your situation. I do know that someone there will know the answer to all the things you are wondering about.
The person who reccommended you contact a real estate lawyer overlooked the important point that you are a college student on a budget and would probably just pay the extra rent if you could afford it, rather than pay $200/hour attorney's fees! In my experience, month-to-month leases are just what they say they are...nothing more than thirty days' written notice is required from either the tenant or the landlord to change something.

I personally know from experience that these lawyers will give free advice with these situations. I also stated tha they will give free advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area