U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 05:42 AM

2 posts, read 7,210 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

We're contemplating a move from Pittsburgh for job reasons.

We'd appreciate some suggestions/ideas on the best schools, and if possible some tips on neighborhoods for families with kids. We have a son who is presently in first grade.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 06:43 AM

56,563 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Brighton, the Eastern suburbs(Pittford, Penfield, Fairport, Webster), West Irondequoit and a few others are fine. Those are generally the districts with the best reputations though. You might like the area of Brighton near the 12 Corners or villages like Pittsford, Fairport or Webster too. What is your price range and what are you looking for in a community?

Old 05-19-2011, 07:34 AM

9 posts, read 30,229 times
Default Brighton

Brighton would be perfect for you. I am married with three children and we lived in Brighton for four years while I was in Residency at the University of Rochester. We were very sad to move away from Brighton. When we first moved to Rochester we didnít know where we should move but many people had recommended Brighton so we purchased a house between Twelve Corners and Cobbs Hill. What an amazing neighborhood, within days our children were out playing and making friends with the neighbor kids. All the kids are friends with each other and have so much fun. It really was a great experience. Brighton is such a nice town, it is centrally located, safe, top school district in the country, people are so friendly, dedicated parents, good places to eat, beautiful parks (especially Cobbs Hill), old lampposts, historic houses and sidewalks (the city plows them). I am sure there are other suburbs that are nice around Rochester; I just know that Brighton is definitely one of them. What an awesome place to live, we miss it.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:22 AM

5,265 posts, read 14,900,687 times
I agree with the others, Brighton and Pittsford are the first to come to mind when one hears "best schools" in the Rochester area; but I don't think you should rule out other towns. Brighton has mostly older, smaller housing stock than most other Rochester suburbs. That offers the plus of stronger neighborhood ties and a lot of character in the homes, but the negative of having a smaller yard and smaller living space. Again though the area is fairly diverse for a suburb and has top notch schools that rank nationally. Pittsford is known as being the most affluent town in Upstate NY. It can be pretentious at times but definitely has its charms, especially in the village around Schoen Place. Pittsford has more of the "mcmansion" type of housing. Newer, larger, on bigger lots. Also offers top notch nationally ranked schools.

Don't rule out Henrietta, Webster, or North Greece/Hilton either as all of those areas are both more affordable than Brighton or Pittsford, have great schools (as long as you are in the North Greece area that goes to Hilton Schools) and a more diverse range of housing stock.

Good luck with your move if you decide to make it and welcome to Rochester!

Old 05-19-2011, 01:15 PM

130 posts, read 241,018 times
Since you're moving from Pittsburgh, most likely you'll find the housing prices are very affordable in Brighton or Pittsford. I agree with previous posts about Brighton being an older town but has wider cultural diversity. Pittsford population is a bit more uniform in terms of income and ethnicity of the population. You'll find lots of doctors, lawyers, business owners who've done well and want to live in newer community. People are very open-minded and friendly as well. Plus you can access to different places within reasonable time (15-20mins). We chose to live in Pittsford because we could have bigger newer house and land with the same price range compared to Brighton and kids got to go to the top-notch school. We recently moved from Pittsford to Boston and and we already can feel the pain of losing the luxury we had before.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:48 PM

169 posts, read 423,916 times
The Brighton Central School District is not coterminous with the Town of Brighton. Some portions of the Town are located in the Penfield, Pittsford, and Henrietta-Rush school districts. None of these are "bad," mind you, but if you are focused on Brighton schools make sure you move to a part of Town that is in the Brighton School District.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:09 AM

5,265 posts, read 14,900,687 times
^ very good point. When checking real estate listings, make sure you check the school district that they are assigned to. Brighton sort of "cradles" the city of Rochester on it's southeastern edges. The far western edge goes to Rush-Henrietta schools, the northeastern corner is split between Penfield and Pittsford, and the central core of the town goes to Brighton CSD. Again, most real estate listings will tell you what school district the house is in.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:22 PM

3 posts, read 7,792 times
I live and grew up in Pittsford and loved it! There are very new mcmansions and the schools are amazing, I found myself very well prepared for college after graduating. Fairport is also a very good town to live in similar to pittsford. Id also like to suggest Honeyoe Falls, although farther from the city they also are beginning newer housing development and I've heard the taxing is cheaper. People I know that live out there love it have lots of land.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:28 PM

345 posts, read 945,737 times
Look into Fairport - It's a great town (in the general area of Pittsford). There's a great town center with the feel of a village - and the rest of the town is very nice - very family oriented and friendly.

Any of these areas would be great: Brighton, Pittsford, Fairport, Penfield, Webster, Perinton. (This is not an exclusive list - there's lots of nice suburb areas in the Rochester area. Those are just my recommendations.) I don't think I could recommend one over the other. See what appeals to you and what is available for housing that is within your budget - don't forget to consider the property taxes, which are pretty high everywhere in the area, but vary from town-to-town.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:24 AM

2 posts, read 7,210 times
Hi everyone,
Thanks so much for the helpful responses! For those of you who know Pittsburgh, we're outside of Pittsburgh in the municipality of Mt. Lebanon which is about a 10-15 minute drive into the city. The schools are high-ranking (and we've been really happy with them) and Mt. Lebanon has the older housing stock with smallish yards and they are close together (and so it sounds like Brighton would be a good choice for us to look into to start). We've got an interview next week and we'll see what happens! I really appreciate all your help so far!!
all best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area