U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 02:24 PM

41 posts, read 128,151 times

Advertisements

shibainu, no matter what you say or what stats you bring up the rochester apologists are sure to discredit your findings. The FACT that the city is shrinking along with its economy is not disputed, neither is homicde rate. They are FACTS after all. So what they do is say "oh well...people only get murdered in one part of town" or ..."the city is losing jobs but it is just transforming...." that is the basic spin you'll get. No matter what happens these people will love their city. And good for them...that is fine, but for people who don't live there...just spend a weekend there and then make up your mind. Check out this youtube clip....I think it may be produced by the Rochester Tourism Board. It seems not everyone is in love with that town.
YouTube - Rochester: A City of Poverty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 02:31 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,637,945 times
The economy is not shrinking. There are more jobs being created than jobs being lost. That is not the sign of a shirking economy. The homicide rate is lower than it has been in past years also. People only get shot in certain parts of town. No spin, just the truth.
That stupid youtube clip takes pictures from select areas to make the city look bad. I could do that with any city.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:46 PM

It seems my predictions were correct. So if all those murders happen in just one little part of town...that part of town must be like Baghdad. I mean really, I prefer a town that does not areas that have simply been written off as a lost cause. And unfortunatly for you...the Democrat and Chronicle published a map that has all the homicides plotted on a map. It appaears they are quite spread out, and not contained at all. Democrat and Chronicle | 2006 Rochester homicides

Old 08-13-2007, 08:27 PM

The majority of those were in the northeast side, the worst part. You had a handful in the 19th ward/southwest neighborhood and a handful in the maplewood/dutchtown section.
Every city is like that with one area having the most trouble and pockets of trouble in other areas.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
The majority of those were in the northeast side, the worst part. You had a handful in the 19th ward/southwest neighborhood and a handful in the maplewood/dutchtown section.
Every city is like that with one area having the most trouble and pockets of trouble in other areas.
maybe you didn't look at the overlay...they are spread out all over the city. What do you mean by a handful??? Anyone that clicks on that map can form their own opinion. Just look at all the murders and tell me if they are spread out or concentrated to a "few bad neighborhoods" as you describe them. Rochester is ghetto, plain and simple. There is nothing wrong with loving a ghetto city, I mean hey, some people love Flint Michigan too. But believe it or not some people don't enjoy, depressed economies and high homicide rates; maybe you do, to each his own.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:21 AM

Look at the map again. The majority of the murders were in the northeast part. Then you had a handful spread out in the other neighborhoods. Its like this in every city of this size or bigger.
If you go to Philly you have some murders in the trendy South Street area. If you go to NYC you have murders in the East Village sometimes. In DC you get murders in the Adams-Morgan area, etc. Homicides are part of any city and no area is immune. Its the areas of high amounts of homicides you have to worry about, and Rochester only has a couple of neighborhoods like that.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:26 AM

I take it Park Aveneue and East Avenue are in that sliver of the city that doesn't have the body bags filling up. I'll make sure I check that out, it shouldn't take too long really, it looks like most of the city has been flagged with homicides.
How come Rochester folks can't stand the fact that some people are not at all impressed with their town? Bottom line is that some people think there is too much violence for them, and that they appreciate a higher standard of living than Rochester can offer. That doesn't make me fool; I just have a different view on the city. Here is a typical day in the city. The clip summary reads "Hearing a gun shot seams to be a daily occurence in the summer on Rochester streets. But this time, it happened in front of a daycare, and the owner reacts."
YouTube - Scary Shooting

Last edited by acnemaster; 08-14-2007 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-14-2007, 09:28 AM

5,265 posts, read 14,915,110 times
that "tiny sliver" of the city, is the entire zipcode of 14607, Which inclues the Park Avenue, Upper Monroe, NOA (neighborhood of the arts) VERY nice and highly sought after neighborhoods .....other zipcodes that are very nice, safe, and definitley not "ghetto" are 14604 (eastern half of downtown) 14610. 14620, 14612 (Charlotte), and the eastern half of 14609. There are also pockets of very nice neighborhoods in some of the "bad areas", such as Corn Hill, in 14608. Basically the whole Southeastern quadrant of the city is very nice and well maintained, the Northwestern quadrant is nice for the most part, only kind of "dirty" closer to Kodak Park , and even some parts on the fringe of the northeastern quadrant, and the 19th Ward are nice and "non-ghetto". You take pictures and videos of the crescent and plymouth exchange areas and think that shows that the whole city of Rochester is "ghetto"....but Moderator cut: personal attack

Last edited by bellafinzi; 08-14-2007 at 05:02 PM..

Old 08-14-2007, 10:11 AM

I never looked at it that way before. I realize now that I was wrong about everything I said. I did not realize that the bad neighborhoods had pockets of nice, and that the Northwest is only "kind of dirty." And that video was not shot by me...just some random dissatisfied Rochesterian. He must be the exception though. Maybe he is from one of those "kind of dirty" neighborhoods so he is biased against the entire city. I take it most of the Rochester apologists on here are from the good sections; they don't venture down to the neighborhoods that have been left for dead. Sounds like Rochester has a real sense of community.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:44 AM

That is a good point about the sense of community. Many people want to slip the bad neighborhoods under the rug and not pay any attention to them. I spent much of my childhood in the northeastern part and have seen some of the parts go to crap. My families old neighborhood has declined any it seems that nobody outside of the neighborhood cares.
But this problem is not local to this area, its happening in cities all over the country.
When other people take action things can change. The south wedge neighborhood has seen a great turn around since people started to pay attention to it. People started to invest money, attracted younger people which made many of the dirt bags move out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or