Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 04:48 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,456 times

Advertisements

I have not been to the Pittsford store but I bet a dollar its no better, and certianly no bigger, then the Dewitt store. You can darn near see the curve of the Earth in the Dewitt store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 05:30 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Not really. People here aren't really big on national chains compared to other areas I've seen.
Maybe not in the long-term, but the initial novelty really packs them in. The openings of Krispy Kreme, Don Pablo & Cheesecake Factory come to mind, along with Martin's grocery store in Fairport several years back. Of course, "staying power" is something else altogether.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:57 PM

240 posts, read 557,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I have not been to the Pittsford store but I bet a dollar its no better, and certianly no bigger, then the Dewitt store. You can darn near see the curve of the Earth in the Dewitt store.

Not sure, never been there, but Pittsford is a flagship store and also a rich community so they get all the awesome stuff. I know there are bigger Wegmans out there, almost all of the newer stores are just as big if not bigger, but as far as the Rochester area, Pittsford is the biggest and the best.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notasmoker View Post
Maybe not in the long-term, but the initial novelty really packs them in. The openings of Krispy Kreme, Don Pablo & Cheesecake Factory come to mind
I remember when Krispy Kreme opened. They gave you free doughnuts while you waited in line. So good.

I know they're both chains, but man oh man do I miss Krispy Kreme and Don Pablos.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:02 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,716,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notasmoker View Post
Maybe not in the long-term, but the initial novelty really packs them in. The openings of Krispy Kreme, Don Pablo & Cheesecake Factory come to mind, along with Martin's grocery store in Fairport several years back. Of course, "staying power" is something else altogether.
oh yea, initial, but everywhere is like that when a company first moves in.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:17 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
Trader Joe's doesn't hold a candle to Wegmans.

It is owned by the people who own Aldi's.

It's fun to shop there at first, and 80 percent of its products are its own labels. It's not like you'll be able to find your favorite brands.

It'll most likely be less expensive than Wegmans. That will be its only benefit.

Its staff members leave a lot to be desired. They'll never live up to Wegmans employees.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:55 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Still can't compete with Wegmans. That's both my opinion and a fact.
It's true. Trader Joe's is more of a specialty store than a full service grocery store.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:02 AM

TJ's is only for certain stuff, I'll use coffee because thats what I have mailed to me.

Ok so you need coffee. Your a Folgers person. Wegmans wins this one hands down.

Ok so you like good coffee. Wegmans has some fru-fru stuff. High end and with a name all your friends will be impressed with. Very expensive, but impressing people is seldom cheap. Wegmans wins this one hands down.

Ok so you like a great cup of coffee. You don't care what other people think, you just like good coffee. You either don't have a ton of money or have afew bucks but think waste is stupid. This one is Trader Joe's for the win!!!

Old 10-16-2011, 09:02 AM

Alternate 3rd option: you like a great cup of coffee. You don't care what other people think, but you do care about your city and good coffee. So you meander down to your favorite local coffee shop and buy the beans they roast themselves. And they charge you whatever price it actually costs the roast the beans.

Local Business FTW!!

Old 10-16-2011, 01:40 PM

Well now your playing unfair, but this is the Rochester forum so it would be by your rules.

Out here in the province's we don't have coffee shops. Not one.

Syracuse has some nice ones to get coffee but beans are not that great at least the places I can find. Rochester would have the same problem for me.

Help may be on the way for CNY though. A place called Utica Roasters had a booth set up at an apple place I was at yesterday. I had a sample called Utica Buzz and really liked it. I bought some beans so I'll do more testing. They mail order so if this works out I might be sitting pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area