U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 08:46 PM

9 posts, read 92,314 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Rochester in a few months.

Can anyone recommend the best neighborhoods near the U of R for a family w/ small children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 09:00 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,872,762 times
do you want to be in the city of Rochester, or the suburbs? The city of Rochester has very nice neighborhoods with great houses for your money with TONS of historic charecter (Ellwanger-Barry neighborhood would be the nicest UofR area neighborhood) HOWEVER, you mentioned you have young children, and the public schools in teh city aren't very good....the schools in suburban Rochester however, are some of hte best in the country...especially in teh closest (to UofR) suburb, Brighton. If you would rather live in teh city though, you are lookng in the right spot, Southeast Rochester, as far as nice homes, safe neighborhoods and family freindly (which the exception of public schools).

Old 08-28-2007, 05:53 AM

9 posts, read 92,314 times
Thank you so much for the info.

=)

Old 08-28-2007, 07:26 AM

9 posts, read 74,307 times
I would also recommend Brighton (3-4 miles from U of R) and Pittsford (a few miles further). They are nice places for children with good public schools. I would also agree that most of the city schools are not great, or they weren't a few years ago. Things can change of course.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:06 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,609,010 times
The neighborhood around highland park is very nice and close to UR. But the schools in the city are not good. If you want to live in the city, send your kids to private school. Otherwise live in the suburbs.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:12 PM

5,310 posts, read 5,304,084 times
I think that Brighton is the nicest and most convenient suburb to UofR. Of course, I wouldn't rule out Henrietta either. There's a lot of nice new houses and building property in Henrietta. Brighton is also beautiful, but has a different feel. Older, more historic houses and regulations on building exist there. I would also keep an eye on property/school taxes...especially in Brighton. Henrietta is a little cheaper on the tax side.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:13 AM

13 posts, read 94,237 times
I would say Brighton is the best, but also Henrietta is good too (maybe a little cheaper?) and Pittsford is nice but more expensive

Old 09-05-2007, 11:08 AM

131 posts, read 725,088 times
Default Brighton

We just moved to Brighton at the end of June and our kids (8th and 10th grade) started school here today. So far, we've been very happy with the town. My sister-in-law has lived here for over 20 years and has been very pleased with the schools. She says that Brighton is very focused on academics, and on extracurriculars like drama. Sports are perhaps less popular here than in some of the other suburban schools.

I will say that Pittsford has more of a real "downtown" or "village" center--very pretty, quaint stores, restaurants and paths near the canal, etc. Brighton has the 12 Corners, which I guess is supposed to be the "center of town," but it really is a collection of small shopping areas surrounded by busy cross streets. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just not really a "downtown" the way I think of one--with the post office, town hall, etc. all in fairly close proximity and within walking distance of one another. However, one thing that is really nice is that the middle school and high school are right next to one another and are both near 12 Corners. This is really convenient when your kids reach the ages for those schools.

To us, Brighton seems very inexpensive, but we moved here from Westchester County (near NYC), so pretty much everything would seem cheaper! We just got our school tax bill, which with the various STAR exemptions and rebates is just under $3,000. That's about half of what we were paying in Westchester. Our house is a 4-bedroom, 2.5 bath split level on about a quarter acre and we paid $185,000, which I think was a really good deal. Most of the houses we looked at were in the low $200s, although it's possible to find homes for less and for much more. Our house needed some fairly minor repairs and cosmetic work but nothing major.
Karen

Old 08-24-2011, 02:15 PM

68 posts, read 133,136 times
Yeah, there are dozens of very lively, pretty little neighborhoods in the southeast, up neare culver-winton, and elswhere but the kids thing kind of presents a problem. Rochester school district does a lottery-style enrollment program (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, I might be ) that esselntially means no matter how nice of a neighborhood you live in there's a chance your children might get bused off to the hood for schooling. BUT there are numerous wonderful private schools in the area, (harley, allendale-columbia, McQuaid, etc.) I don't know you're guys' financial situation but property taxes are so much lower in the city than the burbs depending on which private school you choose it might actually be cheaper to live in the city and send your kids to private than to pay like pittsford taxes so they can go to decent public schools (this is the case with several friends of mine). As for city neighborhoods near U of R, there are loads of gorgeous, affordable little neighborhoods like highland, upper monroe, south wedge, cobbs hil and others that are reasonably priced and close to all the finest parks in the city as well as the private schools I mentioned earlier. Anywhere east of the river, south of downtown and west of university ave is safe and pretty and chock full of little greenwich-village type neighborhoods that are generously endowed with an abundance of shops, bars, resturaunts, museums, coffee shops and parks. There are other nice neighborhoods around rochester outside of the southeast quarter but it's really patchy, you can be on a nice street one minute and then in the hood the next. Southeast, everthings within driving distance of downtown, the university, the major attractions and the local nightlife. I't be a great place for a kid to grow up, as long as they went to private school.if you want suburbs, I'd choose brighton, pittsford, fairport, anywhere in the southeast. They're all very pretty, have great schools, safe, suburban-esque, the usual. the southeast suburbs, at least some of them, also have really cool little "villages" at their centers with quaint old houses and shops and the like. personally, i think you and you're kids would have a much better experience in rochester if you lived within the city and they went to private schools, its a different type of life and i have experienced and witnessed the boredom and dissatisfaction that you can catch if you spend too much time in the burbs. Either way, its a beautiful city and a beautiful metro area.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:04 AM

205 posts, read 402,115 times
We are in the Park Ave / East Ave area with small kids (5 and 7) and simply love it. There *are* other families around - but not nearly as many as you will find in Brighton. I agree with all of the above, schools are your big issue. But we simply got hooked on the charm of this big old historical houses and the walkable neighborhood. That was the deciding factor for us and we have no regrets. Many of our friends are out in Brighton and Pittsford, and they are very happy. But it really comes down to personal preference. For us, urban living was what we wanted (moving from DC 3 years ago) and Rochester's Park Ave area has not disappointed. There are festivals, live music, parades, major concerts, coffee shops, museums, etc, etc - All walkable from our house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area