U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 07:22 AM

205 posts, read 419,310 times

Advertisements

Hey all.. I have been listing to belly-aching about how the High Falls area "just doesn't have enough stuff" for years now. Many here in the forum have pointed out how the city has to do more with this awesome natural resource to turn it into a tourist-worthy destination... Well, please watch this:

Rochesterians: What's on the corner of Main St & Plymouth Ave? - YouTube

The city has decided to allow the brewery to knock down this historic building which could be a REALLY cool attraction as part of a combined visitor center for the brewery and the High Falls... The plan is to turn this into a parking lot (sound familiar?).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 11:00 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,692,464 times
So how can we help save it? Other than donating hundreds of thousands of dollars to an already overly wealthy brewery owner to assist with the renovation costs?

Old 02-02-2012, 01:27 PM

Nice. A constructive post... I like it.

It's simple, and takes under 5 minutes. If you believe (and I'm not sure if you do or not) that taking this historic building down to make a parking lot is a worse idea than continuing the hunt for a group interested in renovating it (which I believe is out there), then make a call to your City Council person (you can also email them). While they don't sit directly on the board that grants the demolition permit, they would certain have some pull. And they are your elected representative.

If you live outside the city, or want to do more, call the Mayor's hotline and leave a message with your opinion.

P.S. Before you post a "it won't help / matter" response - please know that I have many many data points to show you it certainly does matter.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:48 PM

I most certainly believe saving this building would be worlds better than making some stupid parking lot that wouldn't be used for squat anyways, since there's nothing else down there to visit to require more parking.

I do however have serious doubts that calling the mayors office will do much, unless thousands of city residents voice this same concern and really drive home the point that this is a huge mistake. I would however be interested in seeing these data points you have proving otherwise. I would be really, really surprised if the city could actually stop the demolition of this building despite its numerous safety hazards that the brewery is otherwise liable for.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:25 PM

And for what it's worth for anyone else reading this thread, there are some sites out there dedicated to this effort....

Help Save 13 Cataract Street. Rochester, NY

RochesterSubway.com : Cataract Brewery Architect Died 77 Years Ago Today

Old 02-03-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
I most certainly believe saving this building would be worlds better than making some stupid parking lot that wouldn't be used for squat anyways, since there's nothing else down there to visit to require more parking.

I do however have serious doubts that calling the mayors office will do much, unless thousands of city residents voice this same concern and really drive home the point that this is a huge mistake. I would however be interested in seeing these data points you have proving otherwise. I would be really, really surprised if the city could actually stop the demolition of this building despite its numerous safety hazards that the brewery is otherwise liable for.
Awesome... So to get thousands, we start with you... 999 more phone calls needed...

Seriously - You have never done political action before? This is EXACTLY how it works. A bunch of dudes on a forum, or in a coffee shop, or at a non-profit, get a bee-in-their-bonnet about some issue and off they go to change the world. And guess what? The world changes.. No, not fast. But it changes.... So make your call to the Mayor, even if you don't think it will do anything. It will take 30 seconds.... I'll work on the other 999 people.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:23 PM

So is this a bad time to say that while I think this whole idea is completely ludicrous and the brewery should be saved, I really don't care either way what happens to it so I'm not going to bother doing anything about it?

Old 02-03-2012, 10:43 PM

16,966 posts, read 30,794,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purdue512 View Post
Hey all.. I have been listing to belly-aching about how the High Falls area "just doesn't have enough stuff" for years now. Many here in the forum have pointed out how the city has to do more with this awesome natural resource to turn it into a tourist-worthy destination... Well, please watch this:

Rochesterians: What's on the corner of Main St & Plymouth Ave? - YouTube

The city has decided to allow the brewery to knock down this historic building which could be a REALLY cool attraction as part of a combined visitor center for the brewery and the High Falls... The plan is to turn this into a parking lot (sound familiar?).
Best of luck with moving the preservation of this building forward! I have been involved in a project down on LI involving 3 little houses which, while not architecturally significant, represented a portion of my community's history. They were slated to be razed almost 10 years ago. A group of a few like-minded people got together, rallied whomever they could, approached local politicians and -- voila -- 10 years later, the three houses were moved to a safe location and are now undergoing preservation.

The brewery looks like a great structure with many possibilies for repurposing.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:04 PM

Well done. I know of many many stories like this where a few people who care can actually make a difference in the way you have described. Great timing. Some in this forum have never been a part of a grass roots change effort, and don't really know the power a few determined people really have.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:36 AM

Hey... did you guys know there have been two offers from private developers to buy 13 Cataract?

PRESERVATION: The Cataract buildings are worth saving - Letters - Rochester City Newspaper

You can also confirm this on other websites.

Why would the city allow this historical landmark building demolished when there are buyers in the private sector? That is simply crazy.

Anyone feel like calling the Mayor's office now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area