Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 03:05 PM

147 posts, read 383,767 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone.

Just thought you all might appreciate an outsider's opinion of your city. I had a chance to visit Rochester for the first time over the weekend, and was quite impressed. The city seems to have its fair share of charm and character, and I wish I would have had a few more hours to go exploring. I did get to see some cool neighborhoods to the south of downtown Rochester (had lunch at the South Wedge Diner), but unfortunately did not really get to see downtown itself. Next time I'm there, I certainly will.

Don't be down on your city - it seems like it has a lot to offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 08:03 AM

466 posts, read 982,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBaliviere View Post
Hello, everyone.

Just thought you all might appreciate an outsider's opinion of your city. I had a chance to visit Rochester for the first time over the weekend, and was quite impressed. The city seems to have its fair share of charm and character, and I wish I would have had a few more hours to go exploring. I did get to see some cool neighborhoods to the south of downtown Rochester (had lunch at the South Wedge Diner), but unfortunately did not really get to see downtown itself. Next time I'm there, I certainly will.

Don't be down on your city - it seems like it has a lot to offer!
Don't worry, most people aren't down. There's just a few weirdos who are miserable and then come on here to spout off.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:28 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,447,422 times
S Wedge Diner is a good spot. You were right by what's called Swillburg. There's been a lot of investment in the S Wedge in the last 15 years or so.

Too bad you got to see Rochester during a drought.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:38 AM

147 posts, read 383,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
S Wedge Diner is a good spot. You were right by what's called Swillburg. There's been a lot of investment in the S Wedge in the last 15 years or so.

Too bad you got to see Rochester during a drought.
Judging from the clientele and the various people I saw walking around on Saturday, I kind of got the impression that Swillburg is kind of a hipster neighborhood, which is good.

We also went to Strong Hospital to visit my wife's grandmother. It got me thinking that it's too bad that the University of Rochester isn't closer to downtown or better integrated with the urban fabric.

My hometown - St. Louis - is experiencing a drought as well, so I just took it in stride. The weather was pretty amazing in Rochester over the weekend, so I definitely enjoyed it (it's currently 105 in STL).

Old 07-28-2012, 01:29 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,447,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBaliviere View Post
Judging from the clientele and the various people I saw walking around on Saturday, I kind of got the impression that Swillburg is kind of a hipster neighborhood, which is good.

We also went to Strong Hospital to visit my wife's grandmother. It got me thinking that it's too bad that the University of Rochester isn't closer to downtown or better integrated with the urban fabric.

My hometown - St. Louis - is experiencing a drought as well, so I just took it in stride. The weather was pretty amazing in Rochester over the weekend, so I definitely enjoyed it (it's currently 105 in STL).
UofR used to be on what's called University Avenue, and moved to where it is now ca. 1930's or so as it expanded. The University location is now the Memorial Art Gallery, plus some other stuff mixed in there which hold small music events like recitals and whatnot.

The South Wedge is getting a lot of monied empty nesters these days, in addition to the "hip" crowd you speak of. There's a strong business community in the Wedge, some businesses have been there since the 1920's or so. Then you have newer ones which have popped up in the last 10 years or so which are going strong.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:42 AM

810 posts, read 1,449,538 times
Just to go back to that Rochester - Raleigh/Durham comparison for a moment, I moved from Rochester to Durham because the cold was getting painful to me. And there's one thing that when you move, you're going to give up:

Radio.

The radio in Rochester is brilliant, as good as the big cities and better than most. You come down here to the Triangle, there's nothing like the Bobs (Smith, Savage, Lonsberry), there's nothing like WXXI (the public radio here is tiny and it sounds like the dull, slow-paced public radio caricature that people make fun of). There is certainly no Wease. No Mike. No Bob Matthews or John DiTullio. No Bill Nojay or Joe Lomonaco. Never would have been an Uncle Roger or Simon Pontin or Will Moyle. Plus all the greats that I'm forgetting.

Rochester has talent to burn. They could stock three cities with the radio talent Rochester has.

You might not like him but they don't even have Limbaugh here -- and whatever you may think of him, if your town doesn't even have him, your town is Dogpatch.

S

Old 08-07-2012, 08:44 PM

810 posts, read 1,449,538 times
Mordecai Lipshutz.... And gosh, how could I have forgotten Nick Francesco !!!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:15 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
You might not like him but they don't even have Limbaugh here -- and whatever you may think of him, if your town doesn't even have him, your town is Dogpatch.
I wouldn't know firsthand, as you couldn't pay me enough to listen to him except for a laugh, but the decision to drop him (WPTF carried him for years) was not made at the local level.

The real question is, why do you continue to grace central NC with your presence when you are clearly so very miserable? There are lots of other places with mild winters where you'd surely be much happier?

Old 08-24-2012, 09:38 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The real question is, why do you continue to grace central NC with your presence when you are clearly so very miserable? There are lots of other places with mild winters where you'd surely be much happier?
This isn't a NC forum so who cares? We're supposed to be sticking to the topic in the original post not wandering off about NC.

For the record, I currently reside in SC and the radio here is beyond DREADFUL after having lived in the Albany area for decades. I drive in silence if I forget my iPod that's how bad it is here. Silence is better than what's on the airwaves. Sad.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:04 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
This isn't a NC forum so who cares? We're supposed to be sticking to the topic in the original post not wandering off about NC.

For the record, I currently reside in SC and the radio here is beyond DREADFUL after having lived in the Albany area for decades. I drive in silence if I forget my iPod that's how bad it is here. Silence is better than what's on the airwaves. Sad.

A common complaint as the stations I listen to often get calls in from all over the US and beyond that Rochester radio, for it's market size, is great. They don't rein their DJs in like other places although it is a battle in radio today to keep an open format.

Just like big box stores have overrun the country so too has homogenized radio formats with bubble gum mentalities.....IMO anyways.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area