Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 09:04 PM

26 posts, read 42,286 times

Advertisements

There is no debating the following:
1) Property taxes (and other taxes) are high
2) It is cloudy
3) Downtown (Main Street) is struggling
4) The metro area is barely growing

Despite these undebatable flaws, Rochester somehow manages to be a highly lovable metro area. My "location resume" includes various parts of Connecticut (21 years), New York City (4 years), St. Louis (4 years), Washington D.C. (3 years), and Boston (1 year.) Rochester is educated, cultural, affordable, and very livable. Underneath a lack of glitz is an immense amount of substance. After two years here, it is difficult to envision a better life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 06:16 AM

205 posts, read 456,489 times
1) Property taxes (and other taxes) are high - Only on a percentage basis. Everyone who visits me from DC says that my tax payments (in whole dollar terms) is only slightly higher than theirs. Again - on a cash flow basis... BUT - they paid 4x the amount I did for the house... So while I generally agree that they are high, the entire picture is much more complicated to calculate. When you put schools in the equation (or lack there-of), it's tips negative again (in the city).
2) It is cloudy - Winter is... Summer is awesome.
3) Downtown (Main Street) is struggling - Totally agree. This is painful. Nothing positive to say.
4) The metro area is barely growing - Agreed. And the sprawl is especially difficult given this lack of growth as the sprawl has caused #3.

So, I totally agree. There are flaws. But even still, the city chugs along and has many many positive aspects... Here are a few positives in the news recently (and not just local news):

10 Cities Poised For Greatness In 2012 - TheStreet

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/17/ny...ecay.html?_r=1

Cities With the Highest Rising Home Prices - Yahoo! Real Estate

Major crime rate in Rochester at 25-year low | Democrat and Chronicle | democratandchronicle.com

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...%7Ctext%7CHome

Old 02-04-2012, 12:41 AM

46 posts, read 120,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purdue512 View Post
2) It is cloudy - Winter is... Summer is awesome.

Thanks for adding this. I've was started to get worried with many other posts commenting about the grey. We may end up being transferred to Rochester or Buffalo. I've heard Rochester is slightly worse as far as cloudy days. Good to know that summer brings sun. Is it constant in the winter can we expect some sunny days with a bright blanket of snow - like we're familiar with in Michigan?

Old 02-04-2012, 12:57 AM

199 posts, read 421,327 times
Of the regional Upstate cities Rochester has never quite stood out like so many others - solely, I think, because of the disastrous efforts of urban renewal in the 1960s onward. Too many older buildings with character were torn down, too many large grey concrete office blocks replaced them, the center is no longer commercial or appealing to the residents the way it was in the older photos in the 30s and 40s. There is a building on Main Street I recall with older photos of Main Street from more than half a century ago. I find it sad that the city embarked on such a journey, but, it's just architecture and store fronts. They can be rebuilt, replaced. The city still has MANY gems, but little concentration of them.

I like a lot about Rochester, and fiercely defend any NY locale. But this is definitely a difficulty Rochester will face for the next decade as it redevelops. Buffalo, Syracuse, Albany, Schenectady, Troy, Elmira, Ithaca.. all have vibrant downtowns or areas of their downtown (Elmwood and Main, Armory Square, etc..). On Rochester's shortlist should be the development of the same.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:48 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea3 View Post
Thanks for adding this. I've was started to get worried with many other posts commenting about the grey. We may end up being transferred to Rochester or Buffalo. I've heard Rochester is slightly worse as far as cloudy days. Good to know that summer brings sun. Is it constant in the winter can we expect some sunny days with a bright blanket of snow - like we're familiar with in Michigan?
This winter has been an outlier to be sure.....it has been one of the sunniest/warmest/snowless winters I can remember. The sun has come out at least a couple days every week so far. That is not always the case. In the dead of winter there can be strings of up to two weeks where the sun doesn't break through the clouds. Ironically, those days you speak of, sparkling sunshine with snow on the ground, usually occur on the most bitterly cold days here in winter. We haven't had any of those days yet this winter because a) haven't had any bitterly cold days, and b) haven't had any snow accumulation that has lasted more than a couple days after it falls.

Summer here is very sunny, sunnier than most other areas on the east coast (all the way down to Florida).

Old 02-04-2012, 10:05 AM

466 posts, read 982,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYisontop View Post
I like a lot about Rochester, and fiercely defend any NY locale. But this is definitely a difficulty Rochester will face for the next decade as it redevelops. Buffalo, Syracuse, Albany, Schenectady, Troy, Elmira, Ithaca.. all have vibrant downtowns or areas of their downtown (Elmwood and Main, Armory Square, etc..). On Rochester's shortlist should be the development of the same.
This statement is a load of crap. I lived in Buffalo for 4 years. In college. It's downtown is not vibrant. Not at all. They have pockets of areas that are, but they aren't downtown. Chippewa, Elmwood, Allen, Hertel. Not unlike Rochester with Monroe, Park, East/Alexander. Same with Syracuse. All 3 downtowns are mostly bad.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:08 AM

466 posts, read 982,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea3 View Post
Every statistic I've seen has Rochester averaging slightly more sunny days per year, but between the two it's mostly the same.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:46 AM

570 posts, read 1,340,313 times
Quote:
Buffalo, Syracuse, Albany, Schenectady, Troy, Elmira, Ithaca.. all have vibrant downtowns or areas of their downtown (Elmwood and Main, Armory Square, etc..). On Rochester's shortlist should be the development of the same.
Have to disagree with part of this. Elmira's downtown has not been seriously described as 'vibrant' since the 1960s. The only thing there is the hockey arena and a couple sports bar type restaurants that probably exist because of the arena. That's it. Nothing approaching vibrant.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:06 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,716,816 times
Quote:

Not sure if you've ever been to Rochester but it has the same as the other cities in terms of lively parts of their downtowns. Like Buffalo and Sryacuse have their respective hot spots, Rochester has the East End and to an extent the St Paul area.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:30 PM

1,886 posts, read 3,448,151 times
Hate to beat a dead horse, but comparing Rochester to DC or anywhere else in the NE Corridor comes across as the proverbial apples to oranges argument. The CoL in, say, NJ or the Boston area is much higher for a lot of obvious reasons, not the least of which are the sheer size of some of the metros along there and the composition of their local economies. To compare tax bills is downright silly, as a post-war house in Rochester worth 150K and a tax bill right around $6000 is not even in the same league as a newer house worth $400K with the same tax bill. Letters to the editor in that local rag the D&C bear this out, as I remember outsiders asking why the taxes are so high in Rochester, as they'd considered it for relocation in retirement.

Local districts there coninue to close schools. Hmmm, if that's the case and the trend continues for some time, then why don't those districts lower their tax rates? Oh, that's right, NY's screwy labor laws and the unions, plus the dominance of public education there vs. private.

By any measure, Rochester is a Midwestern town stuck in NY State. Same with Syracuse and Buffalo. People in Midwestern metros with similar economies would never stand for the insane taxes in NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area