Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 05:17 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,317,421 times

Advertisements

No I would definitely not move to the Conkey area. That is the center of one of the worst areas of the city. There are far, far better areas in the city to live. I agree with ckhthankgod, what is your budget and what are you looking for? We can give you a better idea of where a good place to live might be. Are you living in the Rochester area now or moving here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 05:47 PM

1,202 posts, read 2,292,958 times
I would recommend you avoid the Conkey Avenue area at all costs, especially if you are not familiar with the area. You can find better housing with comparable prices in far more desirable areas of the city. When I was searching for an apartment last year I found several options for less than $600/month in great neighborhoods. Sure you wont find a luxury Park Avenue or East End property for that price, but even areas near Atlantic/University, Meigs Street, S Goodman, South Clinton, Mount Hope and Monroe Avenue will definitely have some viable options for you. All of which are vibrant to up and coming city neighborhoods with low crime and easy access to everything the city has to offer. Some suburban complexes may also be something you could look into. There are apartment communities that offer very cheap living as well.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:08 PM

16 posts, read 12,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
You want to? Ok, props to you. Most people would rather stay ignorant to the problems of the city (not saying anyone on these forums, just residents here in general). Check out this map I made a while back...

Rochester, NY Neighborhoods - Google Maps

The map is not loading. Can you pay it again please. I'm moving to Rochester when I'm finished paramedic school and I want to know the worst places so I can avoid then lol. I have a family so I want a nice, family oriented location. So far Webster, Brighton, Pittsford(not sure if I can afford this one), Perinton, Mendon, Fairport, Penfeild and maybe Farmington are looking promising as far as great schools and great housing prices. What places should I stay away from?

Old 12-27-2015, 05:49 PM

19,292 posts, read 9,394,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channiejysyia View Post
The map is not loading. Can you pay it again please. I'm moving to Rochester when I'm finished paramedic school and I want to know the worst places so I can avoid then lol. I have a family so I want a nice, family oriented location. So far Webster, Brighton, Pittsford(not sure if I can afford this one), Perinton, Mendon, Fairport, Penfeild and maybe Farmington are looking promising as far as great schools and great housing prices. What places should I stay away from?
Penfield is a nice place

Old 12-28-2015, 12:00 PM

308 posts, read 464,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineskyscrapers View Post
Wherever the minorities are.
An ignorant and unhelpful post considering that there are minorities in every aspect of the community, in wealthy areas, poorer areas.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:01 PM

222 posts, read 219,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Penfield is a nice place
2nd that. I love Penfield, its beautiful here in spring and summer. The only reason I leave Penfield is to go to work. Every so often I'll stray into fairport village or webster.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:40 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,200,628 times
The cheap rents you see are so not worth it. Pay $100 or $200 extra, trust me. From personal experience I can tell you that, if you love loud, inconsiderate, obnoxious people and being woken up every night between 1 am and 4 am on weekday work nights...you'll likely live near them. If you love the smell of weed and bbqing...you'll have that too. If you love having to find a parking spot after work, or parking with alternating street parking...and the break ins more common with street parking, oh yes. So many things to consider ahead of time. You'll thank us later.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
I would recommend you avoid the Conkey Avenue area at all costs, especially if you are not familiar with the area. You can find better housing with comparable prices in far more desirable areas of the city. When I was searching for an apartment last year I found several options for less than $600/month in great neighborhoods. Sure you wont find a luxury Park Avenue or East End property for that price, but even areas near Atlantic/University, Meigs Street, S Goodman, South Clinton, Mount Hope and Monroe Avenue will definitely have some viable options for you. All of which are vibrant to up and coming city neighborhoods with low crime and easy access to everything the city has to offer. Some suburban complexes may also be something you could look into. There are apartment communities that offer very cheap living as well.
The straight truth right here. And about complexes, they're so much better. Usually no hunting for a parking spot (plenty of parking) and no crazy landlord. Just like there are many crazy tenants, there are also many crazy landlords. With a complex, the landlord is likely a corporation and not an individual.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:04 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,629,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channiejysyia View Post
My sister lives in Fairport and it is a family oriented nice area. She and her grown kids all have stayed in that area. Old town charm and within walking distance to the canal and shops. We always started out for breakfast at a small restaurant there that had everything on the menu and always busy called Rickys, then crossed the street to the shops and to see all the boats docked in the spring and summer months. Would recommend Fairport. The city of Rochester has changed over the years and people go there to work but usually don't look to live there. As any big city crime is terrible as criminals are mobile.The city does have alot of history and many places to see especially the Strong Museum, restaurants,big stadium.Wouldn't say not to move there just be cautious.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:17 AM

Fairport around Christmas is so beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area