Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 10:44 AM

8 posts, read 141,123 times

Advertisements

I'm certain this question has been answered by default in forums asking what the best areas are, but I was unable to come across answers to what I'm really asking. I'm relocating to Rochester from Portland, Oregon, at the end of February 2012. I've lived in Saint Louis, Youngstown, and Minneapolis, and have been to most major US cities. I know where I'm living in Rochester (South Wedge), so my question has to do with wandering around rather than relocation - I want to go to the worst, most dangerous part of the city. I want to go where the shootings, drug dealing, and prostitution are the most rampant. Not to live, just to check it out. What streets and neighborhoods am I looking for? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 11:01 AM

1,213 posts, read 2,322,242 times
You want to? Ok, props to you. Most people would rather stay ignorant to the problems of the city (not saying anyone on these forums, just residents here in general). Check out this map I made a while back...

Rochester, NY Neighborhoods - Google Maps

Old 02-18-2012, 11:38 AM

8 posts, read 141,123 times
Thanks 585wny, I appreciate it!

Old 02-18-2012, 11:58 AM

14 posts, read 101,947 times
585WNY You hit the nail on the head with the map. I grew up in some of the worst neighborhoods so I feel completely safe. I would say that 14621 (clinton) and 14611 genesee an jefferson are the worst though

Old 02-18-2012, 04:18 PM

192 posts, read 530,425 times
I agree with the posts above. The Northeast side of the city (especially the western half of the NE: 14621 & Upper falls aka 14605) are the areas of the city that are most notoriously dangerous. The West side also has a number of rough neighborhoods mainly Genesee Jefferson, Dutchtown, and Edgerton.

Why exactly are you interested in Rochester’s more blighted neighborhoods? Are you into urban exploring?

Below are some photos from google, of the areas on the NE side that you might want to check out. The first two are in upper falls between Hudson Ave and North St; the 3rd is 14621 near Joseph Ave.
Attached Thumbnails
What are the worst areas of Rochester?-reed-park.png   What are the worst areas of Rochester?-wadsworth.png   What are the worst areas of Rochester?-weaver.png  

Old 02-19-2012, 05:55 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,348 times
LOL @ that second picture, such brilliant minds and wonderful artists!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
...Most people would rather stay ignorant to the problems of the city....
How is not wanting to put ones self in a precarious position "ignorant"?? I don't need to go in to the bowels of the ghetto to know it exists, that it's filthy and filled with degenerates, and is generally a place nobody should really *want* to go to. I think it's pretty safe to say that poverty and drug use/trafficking are the leading causes of the problems in the city and one need not go see it first hand to understand that.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:56 AM

120 posts, read 340,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
LOL @ that second picture, such brilliant minds and wonderful artists!!!

How is not wanting to put ones self in a precarious position "ignorant"?? I don't need to go in to the bowels of the ghetto to know it exists, that it's filthy and filled with degenerates, and is generally a place nobody should really *want* to go to. I think it's pretty safe to say that poverty and drug use/trafficking are the leading causes of the problems in the city and one need not go see it first hand to understand that.
Taxed -
I don't disagree about the poverty and drug use being a huge problem. But there are many good people that live in these areas that are just trying to live their lives. Unfortunately a culture of fear and "no snitching" exists which compounds the problems.

I work with someone that lives in one of those "bad" neighborhoods. Their family fell victim to the extreme violence of the neighborhood. That person was a good person helping the community. I live a stone's throw from another "bad" neighborhood and know plenty of people that work and are trying to make it better.

I think it's sad to paint everyone that lives in these neighborhoods with the same broad brush.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:21 AM

466 posts, read 982,152 times
Even areas of 14621 are nice. The areas that border Irondequoit off of Seneca are extremely safe and are basically an extension or Irondequoit.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:58 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
Even areas of 14621 are nice. The areas that border Irondequoit off of Seneca are extremely safe and are basically an extension or Irondequoit.
Yeah, it seems like Norton is the line between the nicer and rougher part of that area of town, give or take. What's crazy is that even south of Norton, you can find some streets with some nice looking older homes.

It's similar to Syracuse's Southside into the Valley neighborhoods where Ballantyne Road forms a line(give or take, as there are some solid areas north of the road and some iffy apartments just south of it). Then the further south you go down South Salina Street, the better(especially south of Seneca Turnpike).

Old 02-19-2012, 11:33 AM

466 posts, read 982,152 times
Growing up in Irondequoit, 104 was always seen as the dividing line. Anything north of 104 was generally considered safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area