Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 07:53 PM

21 posts, read 36,619 times

Advertisements

Hey Apsley, just curious how your visit went? We haven't actually been to the area in person recently...did everything via photos, etc. Hope it went well for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 09:26 AM

4 posts, read 5,834 times
Hello 5lilguys!

We looked . . . and looked . . .and looked . . and were successful! We did end up using a Nothnagle realtor as well, and were very happy with her.

I think prior to our visit we were favoring the Mendon elementary schools, but ended liking the homes on the Sutherland side a bit better. We had an offer accepted on a home in an area off Stone Rd and are very excited for our move (well, to get there, not for the actual move!) in the middle of July.

Thank you for posting your original post and also for your responses to my questions. I hope your move is as pleasant as possible, and that you settle in well before school begins in September.

All my best to you and your 5lilguys!

Apsley

Old 06-04-2012, 10:56 AM

21 posts, read 36,619 times
That's great! Congratulations on everything. I know what you mean about the move, lol.. We're arriving mid August and like you, very excited about getting there.

Best of luck to you all as well!

Old 04-11-2013, 04:36 PM

50 posts, read 144,492 times
I attended Pittsford Mendon about seven years ago. I definitely felt prepared for college, and it really does have great teachers. I felt like it was a good environment for the most part. My brother attended Sutherland though and had some problems. The admins & counselors seemed to put school rankings & their reputation over his safety. He dealt with some death threats and harassment by peers (because he had accidentally outed their drug use), and there wasn't much discipline for their behavior. He struggled a lot with bullying the last few years there.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:29 PM

170 posts, read 286,735 times
I'd pick Pittsford- either middle or high school would be fine. Fairport schools- too big- kids get lost in the shuffle and hard to make sports teams/ etc. Brighton- high school building is old and the area is more urban, more apartments, more poverty than Pittsford. I had two kids graduate from Pittsford Sutherland. We moved away (south) and would love to come back to Pittsford!! Best wishes.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 865 times
Default Life in Western NY

Hello 5lilguys,

I know that the original message you posted was ages ago. However, I can't help but ask what you decided. My family is in exactly the same situation that your family was in during 2012. We've decided to leave So Cal for the very reasons you stated; our children deserve better schools and a richer life. When I mean richer, I mean that we will not need two full incomes to make a "comfortable" life in the Rochester area if we sell our So Cal house and pay off student debt. So, our kids will get more of our time and attention.

We're in San Diego County and are headed to Pittsford Mendon, Pittsford Sutherland, or Brighton. We are hoping to land in a community with excellent schools and some ethnic diversity. We thought of Henrietta, but are not very attracted because Pittsford High Schools have a much better rating compared to Henrietta. We love Brighton, but homes in Pittsford are more affordable as are the TAXES!

I'm wondering if you found the move to Western NY rewarding, and if you would make the same choice all over again! My husband grew up in Canandaigua, and we have a very loving extended family in the area. It's another reason we're leaving the So Cal and the drought behind.

Hope to hear from you...

-LLS_Mom

Old 06-20-2015, 08:55 PM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLS_MOM_2015 View Post
Hello 5lilguys,

I know that the original message you posted was ages ago. However, I can't help but ask what you decided. My family is in exactly the same situation that your family was in during 2012. We've decided to leave So Cal for the very reasons you stated; our children deserve better schools and a richer life. When I mean richer, I mean that we will not need two full incomes to make a "comfortable" life in the Rochester area if we sell our So Cal house and pay off student debt. So, our kids will get more of our time and attention.

We're in San Diego County and are headed to Pittsford Mendon, Pittsford Sutherland, or Brighton. We are hoping to land in a community with excellent schools and some ethnic diversity. We thought of Henrietta, but are not very attracted because Pittsford High Schools have a much better rating compared to Henrietta. We love Brighton, but homes in Pittsford are more affordable as are the TAXES!

I'm wondering if you found the move to Western NY rewarding, and if you would make the same choice all over again! My husband grew up in Canandaigua, and we have a very loving extended family in the area. It's another reason we're leaving the So Cal and the drought behind.

Hope to hear from you...

-LLS_Mom
Out of the 3, Brighton would fit the high rating and diversity criteria. A sleeper people forget about is West Irondequoit, which is also a very good school district with a relatively diverse student population. Spencerport also is up there and has a decent amount of student diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area